MalaiseForever
Member
Thanks both, interesting to learn
Thanks for that. British efficiency at its finest then!!! Ok, where does the end product get made? I'd assume that end product gets loaded onto a train somewhere and makes its way to EWR/HS2.The rails are I believe from Scunthorpe, welded possibly at Eastleigh, the sleepers from Doncaster and the ballast from virtual quarries at Hinksey and Basford Hall.
What do you consider as ‘end product’? The main long lengths of rail, sleepers and ballast arrive independently. Only the S&C panels are made up elsewhere, (Nottingham I think), but they are then partially dismantled for delivery, and reassembled on site before top ballasting.Thanks for that. British efficiency at its finest then!!! Ok, where does the end product get made? I'd assume that end product gets loaded onto a train somewhere and makes its way to EWR/HS2.
Progress Rail produce S&C in Sandiacre, near Toton depot, which is assembled and loaded onto Network Rail wagons at the one-time Freightliner depot at Beeston. Other suppliers are probably available.What do you consider as ‘end product’? The main long lengths of rail, sleepers and ballast arrive independently. Only the S&C panels are made up elsewhere, (Nottingham I think), but they are then partially dismantled for delivery, and reassembled on site before top ballasting.
Ok, where does the end product get made?
I've never seen a train with the ingredients on it. Only trains with 100s of feet of track. Must be something Im missing in the wild.The end product is track, and that is ‘made’ on site, as it is by far the most efficient way of transporting it.
It is quite rare to have the luxury of time to assemble track on site. But yes, plenty of renewals do work by delivering the materials one by one. It's most efficient that 1 or more trains has only ballast on it, then the next train only sleepers, then the next train only rails, etc.I've never seen a train with the ingredients on it. Only trains with 100s of feet of track. Must be something Im missing in the wild.
I've never seen a train with the ingredients on it. Only trains with 100s of feet of track. Must be something Im missing in the wild.
Rugby ROCWhere is signalling being controlled from?
Thank you for your replyRugby ROC
I think the biggest luxury has to be the impressive HARSCO / Balfour Beatty NTC machine. Both for renewals like project speed on Okehampton or new lines like this / A2B etc.It is quite rare to have the luxury of time to assemble track on site. But yes, plenty of renewals do work by delivering the materials one by one. It's most efficient that 1 or more trains has only ballast on it, then the next train only sleepers, then the next train only rails, etc.
Pre-assembled panels are quick to install so good for possessions, but for such a large job as EWR the economics of delivering entire trainloads of sleepers at once are rather persuasive.
Ballast trains are usually in trains labelled network rail. Seen them many times. They have the discharge shoots at the bottom. Sleepers never seen. Rail head is really long and pre moulded it would be pretty obvious it was rail head. Would rail head exceed the length of the wagon it wad carried on?You probably have, but may not have realised it.
A decent proportion of freight trains on the network are carrying ballast (new or used), either from the quarries to the Distribution Centres (network trips), or from those centres to jobs. Ballast is carried in box wagons or Hooper wagons, and you wouldn’t be able to tell what’s in the wagons unless you ‘know’.
Similarly sleepers are transported from the factory to the DCs in bulk, then again on to site when needed.
The trips to site are normally on Friday / Saturday late evening or night, the network trips are every weekday.
Have you never seen a train with just rail, without sleepers, in long welded-up lengths bending round curves? Remarkable sight.I've never seen a train with the ingredients on it. Only trains with 100s of feet of track. Must be something Im missing in the wild.
I think the biggest luxury has to be the impressive HARSCO / Balfour Beatty NTC machine. Both for renewals like project speed on Okehampton or new lines like this / A2B etc.
Ballast trains are usually in trains labelled network rail. Seen them many times. They have the discharge shoots at the bottom.
Rail head is really long and pre moulded it would be pretty obvious it was rail head. Would rail head exceed the length of the wagon it wad carried on?
Rugby ROC
There’s still another boundary at Wolvercote - the stretch from there to Bicester is controlled from Marylebone. This was confirmed a while ago in this thread.At the Bletchley end... where will the crossover point be from TVSC? Bicester Village?
There’s still another boundary at Wolverton - the stretch from there to Bicester is controlled from Marylebone. This was confirmed a while ago in this thread.
Mistype sorry. WolvercoteHuh? How does a boundary at Wolverton affect trains running between Oxford and Milton Keynes?
Mistype sorry . Wolvercote
Other side of Gavray I think. Will check the diagram when I get chance.At the Bletchley end... where will the crossover point be from Marylebone North Panel? Bicester Village or further east?
Yep.Other side of Gavray I think. Will check the diagram when I get chance.
My understanding is that it is HS2 who have to finish off the missing embankments for EWR either side of the HS2 bridge. Then EWR Ltd can lay tracks on them.An interesting video appeared today re the Claydon/Calvert HS2/EWR crossing site.
Made a point that when HS2 finishes the bridges it will be handed over to EWR teams to finish the embankments and tracklaying.
Yes, I think that’s what’s been understood for a while, IIRC one of the EWR newsletters earlier this year said just that.My understanding is that it is HS2 who have to finish off the missing embankments for EWR either side of the HS2 bridge. Then EWR Ltd can lay tracks on them.