Yes, I think the Ox to MK passengers numbers will be high and they'll then need to acquire some more carriages. But Oxford passengers are used to overcrowding as they have CrossCountry to deal with.Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but are there not concerns that the Oxford to MK service is going to suffer from mass overcrowding from day one, considering the use of 2-coach trains?
You'll be waiting a while for those.Hopefully Chiltern will get those mk5s into service and free up some 168s to allow longer trains - and hopefully the service will be popular enough that that will be needed!
That's obviously not completely irrelevant, but considering the X5 takes twice as long as the train service will, I would expect the train to be significantly busier.How busy is the Oxford to Milton Keynes bus service?
Not very - and so not super-relevant. It has the same issue as the road: traffic. That, plus stopping in Buckingham and Bicester makes for a very long unpalatable journey - 2x the rail time.How busy is the Oxford to Milton Keynes bus service?
Which keeps the question of whether Winslow or London would be cheaper, or how much cheaper it would be, for Bedford, Watford and Northampton to places like Reading and Swindon.and they will do their best to keep it primarily as a local branch service, rather than a viable alternative to the likes of XC.
Sure. I would expect the train to be busier than the bus. Perhaps 3 or 4 times given the speed advantages, though that will depend on ticket pricing, and many bus users during the daytime will be concessionary travellers who won't switch.That's obviously not completely irrelevant, but considering the X5 takes twice as long as the train service will, I would expect the train to be significantly busier.
I expect it'll be fine for the moment. My concern is that once the housing starts being built because the line's actually open, how sustainable 106m platforms are. That limits trains to 4x23m, and even with the high frequencies proposed the volume of housing this line is expected to support is big.The 2-car 196 service on EWR will supply 2x141=282 seats per hour. That's more than an hourly 5-car XC Voyager. I would expect that to be fine during the daytime, but maybe with people standing in the peaks. Is that sufficient? I guess we will have to wait and see.
How much is actually planned for Winslow? I would think Oxford Parkway would be an excellent place for a lot more development, given it also has London services - and combined, 4tph into Oxford itself. With more in future.I expect it'll be fine for the moment. My concern is that once the housing starts being built because the line's actually open, how sustainable 106m platforms are. That limits trains to 4x23m, and even with the high frequencies proposed the volume of housing this line is expected to support is big.
(106m operational platform length listed for Winslow and Bletchley P7/8 in the latest Timetable Planning Rules).
In 2022 there was a fair bit, and I expect Bicester, Oxford, MK and the Marston Vale will have more as well.How much is actually planned for Winslow? I would think Oxford Parkway would be an excellent place for a lot more development, given it also has London services - and combined, 4tph into Oxford itself. With more in future.

Development near parkway is tricky because there's supposed to be a definite green belt between Oxford and Kidlington. It's one of the things that's a bit controversial about the football stadium plan.How much is actually planned for Winslow? I would think Oxford Parkway would be an excellent place for a lot more development, given it also has London services - and combined, 4tph into Oxford itself. With more in future.
Or, Chiltern + Avanti will push to have it as a valid route, and get more ORCATS share of the North to Oxford.I suspect that there will be some negative manipulation of fares / routing permissions so that customers don't end up travelling from the North West/West Midlands to the Oxford area via Milton Keynes, and they will do their best to keep it primarily as a local branch service, rather than a viable alternative to the likes of XC. Shame really, but inevitable I think.
I'm assuming it will fall within the Network Railcard area which will make a difference for me if I'm travelling alone (or picking my son up from my parents' house).I do think 2-car services will be woefully inadequate pretty much from day one.
I suspect that there will be some negative manipulation of fares / routing permissions so that customers don't end up travelling from the North West/West Midlands to the Oxford area via Milton Keynes, and they will do their best to keep it primarily as a local branch service, rather than a viable alternative to the likes of XC. Shame really, but inevitable I think.
Well that's a good benchmark for when it's £45!If it isn't going off-topic, and I can't remember whether or not there's already a post on it, I'd guess Milton Keynes to Oxford would be around £25 return based off of Redhill to Wokingham via Gomshall (~3 miles longer) being £28.10 for an anytime day return or £21.40 for an off-peak day return.
Worth being aware that if a route is permitted or not isn't actually relevant to the standard allotment under the model. It's a 'dumb' model that was only specced out to determine accounting for sectors of BR, so obviously it will handle routed fares, but anything beyond that...Or, Chiltern + Avanti will push to have it as a valid route, and get more ORCATS share of the North to Oxford.
Split fares may be the way to win, we'll find out eventually.
That's the Mark Hare Memorial Train, being run in memory of one of Chiltern's Driver Managers who passed away in March this year.Locomotive Services 1Z25 & 1Z26 tomorrow
Realtime Trains | 1Z25 0752 Crewe to London Marylebone | 19/07/2025
Real-time train running information for 1Z25 0752 departure from Crewe to London Marylebone on 19/07/2025. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Realtime Trains | 1Z26 1749 London Marylebone to Crewe | 19/07/2025
Real-time train running information for 1Z26 1749 departure from London Marylebone to Crewe on 19/07/2025. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
I have to make the journey from time to time - the bus is just not viable. It doesn't stop in Oxford after leaving the city centre, so I'd have to spend half an hour going in just to come back out again (if it stopped at Peartree or Parkway then it would be considerably more useful to those of us who live to the north of the city), and then is subject to the whims of the A34 and runs through Bicester and Buckingham town centres.