Please see others' later posts, which don't differ much from my cynicism.
What cynicism? You keep harping on about how it's not going to happen (calling it a basket case elsewhere if I remember correctly) - other posters are being realistic about timescale.
This thread will have entries in it by people are not even born yet by the time the central section is complete. The planning stages take too long and in the past 50 years we have only had people rebuild/realign railways.
All the talk done so far is retractable. They say this and they say that, but ultimately its retractable. Which means zero commitment. Once the cynics in this thread see a point of no return, I think they will start believing.
I just wish we had a clear and defined timetable on these matters............
Do we have delivery times for GWR electrification and Crossrail and does the end of these projects release the kind of resources we need for EWR?
We have -it's the Hendy Report. Have you not read it or been made aware of it?
You seem unaware of the CP5 and CP6 processes.
We have -it's the Hendy Report. Have you not read it or been made aware of it?
You seem unaware of the CP5 and CP6 processes.
Makes no difference what is in the report if a meeting is to be held about subsequent delays. The report could say the railway will open tomorrow but it does not mean it will happen.
Anyway I googled "hendy report" and got a load of listings talking about it, but not actually going to it. Lots of talk about £679 million over budget or something.
Whatever it is, the EWR website makes no mention of it. I would expect any news to be on there.
So you did a quick Google, couldn't find the report and heard some stuff possibly relating to EWR and therefore concluded you were probably right?
I've seen better academic rigour in a Reception class.
So you did a quick Google, couldn't find the report and heard some stuff possibly relating to EWR and therefore concluded you were probably right?
I've seen better academic rigour in a Reception class.
Western Phase 2 -
![]()
Well I found what I was looking for in the end. I'm so sorry I don't meet your highest standards of academic rigour.
Or perhaps you could have just found it and dropped all the pointless scepticism, cynicism and sarcasm. You get as good as you give.
Since absolutely nothing has been accomplished on the ground regarding phase 2, I highly doubt these timelines will be close to the reality.
I have every reason to remain cynical. and I will.
Not sure if your up to speed. But these are old timelines and the ones that are to be debated by a meeting between the investors and Lord Hendy (who is saying 2024 is now the goal).
Since absolutely nothing has been accomplished on the ground regarding phase 2, I highly doubt these timelines will be close to the reality.
I have every reason to remain cynical. and I will.
Not sure if your up to speed. But these are old timelines and the ones that are to be debated by a meeting between the investors and Lord Hendy (who is saying 2024 is now the goal).
Since absolutely nothing has been accomplished on the ground regarding phase 2, I highly doubt these timelines will be close to the reality.
I have every reason to remain cynical. and I will.
But your right I didn't know what each CP represented or how many there were.
So to prove that I am aware of that process, here they are -
1) Output definition
2) Feasibility
3) Option selection
4) Single option development
5) Detailed design
6) Construction test and commission
7) Scheme hand back
8) Project close out
Lord Hendy
I think we need to be realistic here.
EWRail Aylesbury / Bicester to Bletchley was initiated specifically on the basis of major funding commitments from local authorities and developers on the basis of a contribution of something in the region of £1000-2000 per new home, with 200,000 new homes planned in the area served by the line over a couple of decades.
The EW consortium had an objective to facilitate that funding, and the financing of that funding. I can tell you from current experience on other projects that finding finance for that quantity of funding up front, in that sort of arrangement is difficult, and expensive.
Then a few budgets ago, it was announced that Government would fund it up front, but that (I assume) was on the basis that it would be repaid by the local authorities / developers.
I suspect that that is where the problem lies in progress.
Wait almost over as Winslow train station plans steam ahead
Bucks County Council has bought land for the station on the outskirts of the town for £900,000. It will form part of East West Rail which will connect Aylesbury, Milton Keynes, Oxford and Bedford. Facilities on the 2.5 acre site will include a station building, passengers car park and public transport hub. The original Winslow Train Station closed to passengers on New Years Day 1968 and the final train passed through the town in 1993. The new station is due to be up and running by 2019.
2019 is of course hopelessly optimistic. Has any news on the likely further delays to phase 2 yet emerged from the delivery board?
Not really...
There could quite readily be a brand new effectively operational station and car park built on the site long before the track is laid.
Not really...
There could quite readily be a brand new effectively operational station and car park built on the site long before the track is laid.