Skymonster
Established Member
- Joined
- 7 Feb 2012
- Messages
- 2,068
If that I measurably the case then at least I can understand why it has been done although I still think it was a bad move. As far as I'm concerned I almost always spent money at the buffet in the past although I don't think I have ever bought anything from the trolley - even if it turns up which certainly isn't aways the case. Evenings in particular I would typically buy one - maybe two - cans of beer from the buffet, and maybe pick up some crisps or a sandwich while I was there. They beers were always well chilled. Now the trolley offers grossly overpriced items and they are not even cold. And I won't pay silly money for such products when the reality is I can buy at least twice as much from the cooled shelves from M&S at St. P and it'll stay chilled for long enough on the journey. Had the policy not changed, I would still be buying on the train. The other problem is I've been on more than enough trains recently when it's been announced that there are too many people standing for the trolley to make its way along the train - well if it's too busy for the trolley to move I'm certainly not fighting my way through to find it, whereas when there was a buffet I'd often chose a seat nearby to it to ensure I could get access...An At-Seat service brings in more sales than a buffet service, it's better for business and obviously preferable by the customer...
Several of the Meridians I've been on recently have had a number filthy seat cloths - to the extent where I've chosen not to sit on some of the worst - while more than a few are becoming threadbare or ripped. It's not what I expect when I am paying three figures for a return trip into London. Realistically though I far prefer the HSTs over the Meridians, although the lack of at-seat power in standard is a disappointing omission (even many of our local buses have USB power ports). In the real world it is obvious that EMT only did a light makeover on the HSTs when other operators including VTEC and GWR were much more thorough - the only redeeming features of EMT's HSTs is the retention of more four seat bays rather than replacing them with airline style seats.The Meridian fleet was refurbished only 7 years ago and is looking well, apart from day-to-day dirt around the headrests, which could easily be remidied with a deep clean.
As I said further up thread some of us remember MML in the early days of franchising under National Express. It seems to me that since Stagecoach has taken over, the fare take has increased but the facilities have deteriorated (or failed to keep pace with the better benchmarks in the industry). Taking more and delivering less is never a good way of winning customer commitment - but of course the problem is most of us in the East Midlands don't really have much choice.