• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride 6 car services

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,309
Anyone got the services that are 6 car ?
And ive noticed 6 cars on a Sunday , is there a reason for that?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Anyone got the services that are 6 car ?
And ive noticed 6 cars on a Sunday , is there a reason for that?

In the mornings the fast from East Kilbride to Glasgow should be a 6, as well as some morning peak services.

In the evenings the 1701 and 1720 from Glasgow Central are also 6 carriages.

I'm assuming the Sunday is to do with the later start and weekend strengthening, as there would be spare 156s sitting around.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,309
In the mornings the fast from East Kilbride to Glasgow should be a 6, as well as some morning peak services.

In the evenings the 1701 and 1720 from Glasgow Central are also 6 carriages.

I'm assuming the Sunday is to do with the later start and weekend strengthening, as there would be spare 156s sitting around.

Not seen a 6 car on a Saturday. 6 car on Sunday is recent thing. I thought they were going t make all EK services at least 4 car.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Not seen a 6 car on a Saturday. 6 car on Sunday is recent thing. I thought they were going t make all EK services at least 4 car.

On a weekday, throughout the day East Kilbride will certainly only be 2 coaches (which isn't good as it's busy) but in the peaks they'll double up. The only double workings you'll see on weekdays are the XX:57 Barrhead and peak time East Kilbride/Kilmarnock.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,309
On a weekday, throughout the day East Kilbride will certainly only be 2 coaches (which isn't good as it's busy) but in the peaks they'll double up. The only double workings you'll see on weekdays are the XX:57 Barrhead and peak time East Kilbride/Kilmarnock.

Why would Barrhead get a 4 car ?

I thought the 156s displaced from Shotts would bolster EK services. Yeah 2 car EK during the day can be busy , its the evening service that can be really busy after peak . Would love to see later services too
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Why would Barrhead get a 4 car ?

I thought the 156s displaced from Shotts would bolster EK services. Yeah 2 car EK during the day can be busy , its the evening service that can be really busy after peak . Would love to see later services too

God knows why, considering Barrhead is very quiet during the day. I think the reason for doubling on Sundays is that there would be more 156s lying around due to a limited Kilmarnock and West Highland Service, as well as there being a reduced Anniesland.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,309
God knows why, considering Barrhead is very quiet during the day. I think the reason for doubling on Sundays is that there would be more 156s lying around due to a limited Kilmarnock and West Highland Service, as well as there being a reduced Anniesland.

Interesting , id thought they would save on fuel and keep them in depot.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Why would Barrhead get a 4 car

Was rare to never in the past but at least one Barrhead diagram is 4-car now.

On a weekday, throughout the day East Kilbride will certainly only be 2 coaches (which isn't good as it's busy) but in the peaks they'll double up.

In my experience (it's my local line) it's usually 4-car off-peak to EK mostly now, Kilmarnock ditto.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
I think the later Sunday start also compromises for it, as well as having to cater for Pollokshaws and Crossmyloof who lose the Barrhead train

Pollokshaws West gets Kilmarnock calls on Sundays though. So only Crossmyloof loses out really on Sundays
 

Southsider

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2015
Messages
937
Was rare to never in the past but at least one Barrhead diagram is 4-car now.



In my experience (it's my local line) it's usually 4-car off-peak to EK mostly now, Kilmarnock ditto.
Remarkable how perceptions differ. It’s my local line too but I see two car 156s off peak. There are three peak time six car services with the rest four car.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Remarkable how perceptions differ. It’s my local line too but I see two car 156s off peak. There are three peak time six car services with the rest four car.

I’ve really only seen the 4’s on East Kilbride on a Saturday, but I’m going out tomorrow and I can try and see the allocations. Kilmarnock I’m certain always gets 2 coaches, unless it’s splitting at Kilmarnock
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Remarkable how perceptions differ. It’s my local line too but I see two car 156s off peak. There are three peak time six car services with the rest four car.

I must pay more attention, my observations are simply that - just remembering what I've seen. It's possible that services were strengthened over Xmas, but I'll will try and take better note of what actually runs now we are back to normality.
 

Southsider

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2015
Messages
937
I must pay more attention, my observations are simply that - just remembering what I've seen. It's possible that services were strengthened over Xmas, but I'll will try and take better note of what actually runs now we are back to normality.
Unfortunately they weren’t supplemented between Christmas and New Year. Full by Clarkston/ Giffnock in a two car heading for Central mid morning.
 

TukayAway

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2010
Messages
85
Location
Luton
When I was up there last June, the 18:19 GC to East Kilbride was definitely a 6 car.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Service to Glasgow from Kilmarnock just passed Pollokshields East, service had relatively all seats taken
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Unfortunately they weren’t supplemented between Christmas and New Year. Full by Clarkston/ Giffnock in a two car heading for Central mid morning.

That is really weird. I went into town on both Christmas Eve and Hogmanay and saw nothing shorter than 4-car. Indeed - I had four cars both ways, both days.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,309
Been using the EK line this week . Morning services . Peak services seem to be 2 or 3 6 car sets and a 4 car set . Then its 2 and 4 cars off peak . Not sure if that varies day by day.

Quietest station is Thorntonhall by far then Pollokshaws West . Crossmylook surprisingly busy .
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Been using the EK line this week . Morning services . Peak services seem to be 2 or 3 6 car sets and a 4 car set . Then its 2 and 4 cars off peak . Not sure if that varies day by day.

Quietest station is Thorntonhall by far then Pollokshaws West . Crossmylook surprisingly busy .

Crossmyloof is always busy, Pollokshaws West is much quieter, yet on Sundays it was always Pollokshaws West that got the Kilmarnock/Carlisle service calls for some reason.

I agree Thorntonhall is pretty quiet, after all there must be a good reason every second off-peak train skips it still, though I wonder if it warrants being missed out anyway, it would simplify the timetable to have every train call.
 
Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Been using the EK line this week . Morning services . Peak services seem to be 2 or 3 6 car sets and a 4 car set . Then its 2 and 4 cars off peak . Not sure if that varies day by day.

Quietest station is Thorntonhall by far then Pollokshaws West . Crossmylook surprisingly busy .

Pollokshaws West may also be quiet due to the fact that a lot of routes straight to the City Centre serve around that area (57/57A, 3, 49, 103), wheras Crossmyloof only has the 34 and 34A.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Pollokshaws West may also be quiet due to the fact that a lot of routes straight to the City Centre serve around that area (57/57A, 3, 49, 103), wheras Crossmyloof only has the 34 and 34A.

There's also the 90 on Minard Road and the 29/29A, 129 and 374 from Quentin Street, plus it's not that far to walk up Minard Road to get a 57/38/3/4 etc either

You can now see the actual allocations on Real Time Trains.

Which is precisely how I ruled out Killie having any booked 6-cars! :lol:
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,309
There's also the 90 on Minard Road and the 29/29A, 129 and 374 from Quentin Street, plus it's not that far to walk up Minard Road to get a 57/38/3/4 etc either



Which is precisely how I ruled out Killie having any booked 6-cars! :lol:

I guess theres a train every 15 mins from Crossmyloof and quicker than bus.

The Scotrail app shows how many carriages on each service as well as how busy the service usually is , well thats what i think the green symbols mean.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top