Shimbleshanks
Established Member
I've just come back from a return visit from London to Newcastle to see family, which I ended up doing by coach as the train fares were off the scale.
On the train, the so-called super-off peak return was about £135. (The off-peak return is, wait for it, £238!) I've also just done a bit of research for future trips and even booking over two months ahead, in January, I can't get the price below £113.
How many ordinary people earning ordinary money can pay that, just to go to Newcastle and back? And why does an only slightly shorter trip from London to Liverpool cost around £80 off-seak open return - and with much better availablity of very cheap advance tickets, at least in my experience?
OK, the coach took about seven hours, but it was comfortable enough - and the money I saved paid for two slap-up meals for all the family.
On the train, the so-called super-off peak return was about £135. (The off-peak return is, wait for it, £238!) I've also just done a bit of research for future trips and even booking over two months ahead, in January, I can't get the price below £113.
How many ordinary people earning ordinary money can pay that, just to go to Newcastle and back? And why does an only slightly shorter trip from London to Liverpool cost around £80 off-seak open return - and with much better availablity of very cheap advance tickets, at least in my experience?
OK, the coach took about seven hours, but it was comfortable enough - and the money I saved paid for two slap-up meals for all the family.