• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers who need to utilise the...facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Wasn't there that story about the Piccadilly line driver who left their bag on the driving handle while they tried to get power due to lack of door interlock... so they got out of the cab to investigate, the problem then cleared, so the doors got interlock and the bag accelerated the train away? :lol:

Edit: Yes there was! http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/runaway-tube-driver-jailed-1445495.html

Of course the DSD is not the same but still!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silv1983

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
527
Location
Somewhere in Stockport
Most drivers' are professional in their attitude to toilet breaks - that is, they use the facilities even when the need isn't even that great to reduce the likelihood of having to go mid-journey. But, as already mentioned for those that are caught short the railways often will have the occasional suspicious looking bottle of yellow liquid lying in the cess :D
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
As a Depot Driver I use the toilets on the train - I don't care even if my train is at the front of a long que leading towards the shunt neck & holding everything up! The whole depot can wait if I need the toilet. Holding it in is unhealthy and it is recommended that you should drink 4 to 8 litres of water per day so going to the toilet *at least* every half an hour is expected.
 
Last edited:

321446

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2008
Messages
223
Location
Southend Stations
For more solid "needs"; 2 Metros on floor of cab, fold up loosly, gently kick out of cab door. Stop train, crouch in 4 foot, grasping coupler for straaaaaaaaaaaining power. Allegedly on a single line branch with limited facilities. Uncomfortable in snow.

On another sea to city line wiv flash retention toilets that often lock out when full, curse at locked door, use key to open, only to find as door makes its s-l-o-w opening a screaming lady using facilities, so they weren't locked out after all. Door select close. Which it does s-l-o-w.

Allegedly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a Depot Driver I use the toilets on the train - I don't care even if my train is at the front of a long que leading towards the shunt neck & holding everything up! The whole depot can wait if I need the toilet. Holding it in is unhealthy and it is recommended that you should drink 4 to 8 litres of water per day so going to the toilet *at least* every half an hour is expected.

As a Depot Driver I drink a lot of tea too, but I think I can see your problem;
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I don't think anybody's ever recommended drinking 4-8 litres of water per day! There was a very ancient report saying you should take in 8 glasses per day, most of which comes from your food. People have for some reason dropped the last bit over the ages.
 

sarahj

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
1,897
Location
Brighton
If your ever passing west worthing middle siding, take a look at all the bottles of 'lucozade' lying next to the track. Them pesky 313's. Ok of course for the guys, for the gals, just gotta think dry thoughts.
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
On another sea to city line wiv flash retention toilets that often lock out when full, curse at locked door, use key to open, only to find as door makes its s-l-o-w opening a screaming lady using facilities, so they weren't locked out after all. Door select close. Which it does s-l-o-w.

He wants to be thankful that it wasn't a fella ........erm.......... pumping himself out....... I will never forget that. I'm scarred for life.
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,246
I was going to say "I remember reading someone saying about their 2 Oasis bottles - one for drinking, one for filling"

I was thinking a couple of days back whether there is an etymological link between "cess" and "cesspit"
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,560
Location
Somewhere
As a Depot Driver I use the toilets on the train - I don't care even if my train is at the front of a long que leading towards the shunt neck & holding everything up! The whole depot can wait if I need the toilet. Holding it in is unhealthy and it is recommended that you should drink 4 to 8 litres of water per day so going to the toilet *at least* every half an hour is expected.

Going to the toilet at least every half hour surely can't be that good for you?
 
Last edited:

broadgage

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2012
Messages
1,094
Location
Somerset
I have seen a westbound HST delayed at Taunton because the driver needed the gents and the one on the platform was out of order.
Use of the nearest WC would have caused no significant delay, but the driver having to go to another platform lost a few minutes.
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
I have seen a westbound HST delayed at Taunton because the driver needed the gents and the one on the platform was out of order.
Use of the nearest WC would have caused no significant delay, but the driver having to go to another platform lost a few minutes.

Why didnt he use the numerous toilets that are on the train ?
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
JB25:1559571 said:
...When you get to London Bridge again you usually only get 7 minutes to turn around, nowhere near long enough to get to a toilet and set up.

I'm impressed that your lavatory visits are substantial enough to require 'setting up'!! :D
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
I find this thread quite an eye opener. I am surprised that in an industry with a quite powerful union this serious health and safety issue has not been looked into. It is hardly an acceptable situation to have employees urinating into drinks bottles in a cab with high voltage electrics and sensitive modern electronics about. Urine is also highly corrosive and as all men know we are not allways the most accurate aimers! As other posters have mentioned urine retention does pose a health risk and what about the poor maintenance staff who have to clean up accidents! What is the position with female drivers who are pregnant? Anyone who has had a pregnant partner will know that when they have to go.. they have to go. Do female drivers have to stop driving when pregnant? The only solution I can see is for the use of 'stadiun buddy' type devices. Although seen as a bit of a joke due to their use by drunk concert goers they were developed by the military for use by pilots flying solo for long distances
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
I find this thread quite an eye opener. I am surprised that in an industry with a quite powerful union this serious health and safety issue has not been looked into. It is hardly an acceptable situation to have employees urinating into drinks bottles in a cab with high voltage electrics and sensitive modern electronics about. Urine is also highly corrosive and as all men know we are not allways the most accurate aimers! As other posters have mentioned urine retention does pose a health risk and what about the poor maintenance staff who have to clean up accidents! What is the position with female drivers who are pregnant? Anyone who has had a pregnant partner will know that when they have to go.. they have to go. Do female drivers have to stop driving when pregnant? The only solution I can see is for the use of 'stadiun buddy' type devices. Although seen as a bit of a joke due to their use by drunk concert goers they were developed by the military for use by pilots flying solo for long distances

To be fair, this is an issue created by drivers trying to cut a bit of a corner, although I can see the reasons why.

No TOC in the country would bat an eyelid if you delayed a train whilst you went to the toilet. There have been drivers with weak bladders, IBS, colostomy bags, pregnant etc who are put on their own roster where they only do certain jobs which they feel they can manage around the turnarounds and breaks. Any one else is perfectly entitled to nip to the loo at the next station etc if needed. Ok, if you delay every train you work they may ask questions and ask you to see a OH doctor so that the problem can be investigated and dealt with either with treatment or by being put on an individual roster as described above, but if they don't provide you with adequate time or facilities then there is no issue causing a delay. If you have health issues in the future the company won't take any responsibility as they allow you to delay the train if needed and if you have an incident as you were so desperate you lost concentration they won't take any responsibility either.

Most turnaround points have a toilet and I tend to find most can be used within the turnaround time. Most trains also have onboard toilets for turnarounds. I mainly find issues when driving 313s which terminate at Stevenage, moorgate or Gordon hill where the toilets are a fair walk away plus you have to battle through ques of passengers to get there, however if I need to go as I have another 2+ hours driving before reaching a suitable location then I will and if they ask me why I left 3 mins late I tell them I went to the loo. I have never had a problem in return or faced any further questions.

I agree that drivers shouldn't really be straining themselves or urinating in bottles in the cab (would anyone else have a wee in their office next to their desk?!) but I think it's down to drivers to take the brave step and delay the train if needed (and I say brave as it can be quite embarrassing and difficult to delay a train full of passengers whilst you go to the loo with people watching you, tutting, heckling, muttering things under their breath etc)
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
You can simply use the Toilets but dont flush them while its in the Station!

On Maintenance Depot Driving the non CET toilets are only meant to be flushed while they are over the flushing tray found at the east extreme of thd depot. Does not stop me using them more than once every half an hour regardless of location.
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I find this thread quite an eye opener. I am surprised that in an industry with a quite powerful union this serious health and safety issue has not been looked into. It is hardly an acceptable situation to have employees urinating into drinks bottles in a cab with high voltage electrics and sensitive modern electronics about. Urine is also highly corrosive and as all men know we are not allways the most accurate aimers!

It is no worse than being trackside and becoming the next victim of the brown cloud!
 

Boysteve

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
235
Location
Manchester
On Manchester Metrolink I presume that there is a drivers loo in the brick building at the South end of Shaw & Crompton station. On two occasions I have seen the driver stop the tram, go into the brick building for 60 seconds, and then return to the cab to set off again. Another 'replica' building has been built next to East Didsbury platform.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
I try my best to pre-plan my toiletry needs but hey-ho if I need to go I NEED TO GO, end of. My employers or my passengers opinions come way down my list of priorities in such a situation.
 

wbbminerals

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2010
Messages
312
Certainly, drivers of Northbound stoppers at Retford just chuck the bottle out of the cab and onto the adjacent ballast.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
On Manchester Metrolink I presume that there is a drivers loo in the brick building at the South end of Shaw & Crompton station. On two occasions I have seen the driver stop the tram, go into the brick building for 60 seconds, and then return to the cab to set off again. Another 'replica' building has been built next to East Didsbury platform.

Facilities for drivers are provided at all the regular turnback points under phase 3, and I assume also exist on the older routes. Not sure about Droylsden as that probably won't be a regular turnback once Ashton opens.
 

skyetraveller

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
40
A while ago I was waiting on Preston station and a VT Pendolino was in the platform, being delayed awaiting a driver who was coming in on a late-running service. The late runner arrived and after about five minutes, the train manager of the waiting train was clearly becoming concerned about the non-appearance of the driver.
Eventually the (female) driver appeared and announced to the entire station (without the need of a pa system) "sorry I was burstin' for a wee!". Much merriment from waiting passengers....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top