Day 39: Breathtaking views at Leura & Katoomba, Blue Mountains - followed by an XPT
HOLD IT! Nine pictures up. Let’s split the report, as usual, into parts:
THIS IS PART TWO - READ PART ONE ABOVE FIRST
It’s truly spectacular and I’m so glad I did do that Skyway. I hiked around it a bit.
It’s the most iconic thing to do, taking that Skyway between the mountain tops. I did the trip back and forth twice actually, as you can use the Skyway, Cable car and Railway as many times as you want if you pay the $40 entry fee. Expensive but essential.
I queued for a little bit extra for the railway, so I could sit at the front which is well worth it. God, it really is steep. It feels far more like a rollercoaster than a railway, and it’s a longer journey than you might expect too. I’d say it lasts at least ten minutes to get down. The view from the bottom is lovely. Here’s a pic of the bottom of the tracks, but this steep bit here isn’t the main steep bit. That’s right at the top and hard to get a good photo of.
From the bottom you can take three bushwalks - all on paths so very safe - of ten, thirty or fifty minute lengths - I took the shortest as I was here for views of mountains not trees and logs - to the more traditional cable car taking me back up.
I’d actually spent about three/four hours at Scenic World and had got some incredible views and pictures, so was definitely glad I’d done it. From there, I got back on the bus for less than two minutes to Echo Point Lookout, cited as the best spot for seeing the famous “Three Sisters” mountain formation. When tapping off, the reader said “$0.00” as the previous bus journey and train from Blacktown, and Erskineville to Central (replacement buses such as that Central Blacktown are free in NSW) had cost $8 which is the weekend cap. Nice
And then it was time for lunch, so where better than an absolutely stunning, classy bar and restaurant with a terrace overlooking the mountains - and BINGO. As luck would have it, arguably the best seat became free the minute I got there. Australian Fish Tacos and a cocktail (can’t remember what it was now, but it was prosecco, grapefruit puree, lime and a spirit I think) were enjoyed, and it just seemed very very classy and luxurious. It was probably the best location of anywhere I’ve ever eaten, including possibly even Icebergs Club at Bondi, although that will definitely go down in TT history as an iconic meal.
I returned to Katoomba station, where the plan had been to take the limited service Bathurst Endeavour DMU (this is an InterCity service, not Regional - those are XPT/XPlorer worked - so Opal is valid) to Rydal, about an hour and a half further into (and out of) the Mountains and heading sharply towards the outback, because I had actually booked myself on the ex-Dubbo XPT from Rydal back to Sydney ($20 First Class) as a nice upgrade from the Intercity EMUs. Rydal Sydney is usually about 3 hours 15, but due to the trackwork the XPT (the only train to go from Blue Mountains to Sydney Central today, with others terminating at Blacktown) was diverting via and reversing at Liverpool, taking it to a 4 hour journey.
Unfortunately the Bathurst Bullet was delayed by 45 minutes, making a connection at Rydal unworkable, so I would have to take a normal V Set to Lithgow - end of the electrification and regular services - and take the XPT from there. It’d reduce my XPT journey by half an hour, but these things happen. Unfortunately, I forgot that the half-hourly evening peak service to the Blue Mountains is only half-hourly to Katoomba, and only hourly to Mount Victoria, and every 2 hours to Lithgow. So I got to Lithgow ridiculously early on V24+V33 - about an hour’s journey from Katoomba, this pair had also carried me earlier between Leura and Katoomba, watched it go, and then realised there was not another pair leaving for two hours. I’d planned to bash V Sets to pass the time until the XPT came in two and a half hours.
So it was a wander around Lithgow, where I’ve been before, and EVERYTHING, even takeaways, was closed - apart from Woolworths and Coles. So I couldn’t even get some dinner (the tacos suddenly seemed like ages ago), apart from whatever the supermarket had. They had no food to go - they don’t seem to do that here, certainly no Tesco Meal Deals (god I miss them) - I don’t like Australian crisps, they were out of Nobby’s nuts, pistachios which are a favourite of mine from Tesco were $9 (!!!!), I don’t eat sweet things like chocolate, well, it looked like it’d be my favourite gigantic juicy Australian blackberries to keep me going until I could visit the XPT buffet.
When returning to Lithgow station, I still had 90 minutes until the XPT’s arrival, so I locked my phone in a charging box there (badly needed), and did some PC work until it finally came. First class was very quiet (no daysitters on Dubbo trains btw), except for a very annoying trio of stereotypical looking middle aged trainspotters complete with enormous glasses, enormous notebooks and unbearably loud voices. “YEH WE’RE GETTING THE XPT BACK TO KATOOMBA IT WAS ONLY FIVE DOLLARS TO RIDE IN FIRST CLASS!” - on the phone. They kept getting up and moving round too, which was irritating, and when I got back from the buffet, one of them had decided to move to the seat IMMEDIATELY in front of my own in the practically empty carriage and flip it back so far I could hardly get back into my seat. Of all the things to do when all my stuff is clearly there and the train is full! I gave him a ferocious glare to be quite honest, and moved to the other side. Thankfully they got off at the next stop, which by the way, was set down only. Lithgow may be the origin of Intercity services on the route, but it’s the last pick up stop for Sydney-bound Regional services.
Anyway, the buffet. Well, unfortunately this XPT had a broken card machine, so I was told cash only. It’s very rare I carry cash these days, but I had just enough on me to buy my favourite scone with jam and cream.
“Would you like a cup of tea with it sir?” asked the buffet attendant.
“No thanks,” I said regretfully, “If the card machine worked I’d have got one, but I don’t carry cash usually. It’s rare I had even this!”
Well, he served me up a heated scone with the usual pot of cream and delicious homemade runny jam, and then poured me a cup of strong tea with milk and sugar on the side.
“I’m sorry, but you just can’t have a cream tea without the tea,” he grinned. “This is complimentary.”
Arrrgh what a lovely lovely man. I thanked him very warmly and then went back to my seat, reclined it, tucked in, and enjoyed the sunset over the Blue Mountains which was just idyllic. (I blœdy love that word, can you tell

) Then I logged on to the PC - YESSS PULL DOWN TABLES, best part of an XPT

(The EMUs in New South Wales have reversible seat backs which is great but the drawback is as both sides of the seat are used as cushions you can’t have tables) and typed up my report for Port Stephens.
A very angry Scottish woman (from Stirling) was not happy when we stopped at Liverpool several hours later and then reversed out of the station with everyone going backwards. XPT seats are manually rotated using a pedal by staff at the journey origin so that all face forward, and this diversion undid all of that. “I simply cannot travel backwards,” she huffed. “And this travel time is ridiculous. I’ve been sat on this train for eight hours from Orange and we should have been there by now. This would never happen on the Virgin train.”
I was very tempted to tell her that the “Virgin train” in its current state, aka the Avanti West Coast operations of course, were really rather infamous for not running at all lately!
A pair of Tangaras (T80 and partner) returned me to Erskineville from Sydney Central, thus concluding a wonderful day.
Thanks so much for reading and the plentiful comments on the previous Tasmanian report.
They're remarkably intelligent birds, and they'll remember speech for life if they're exposed to enough. My dad had one as a pet* when he was a kid and right up until it died a few years back it was still cheerfully repeating the naughty phrases my dad's brothers had taught it forty years earlier
* = a rescued bird that couldn't be returned to the wild, rather than just an "ooh why not?" kind of thing.
Lucky, lucky your dad to have a cockatoo. I'd rather like a bird as a pet, especially such intelligent and beautiful ones.
TT, excellent report! You really have achieved so much in a short period.
I have a fair idea why you want to experience koalas in Queensland but your secret's safe with me. Hint: no use coming to Victoria (Melbourne etc.) either.
At the risk of you labelling me a huge pedant, while 'spiky' is an excellent description, echidnas are also sometimes called 'spiny anteaters'. Their babes are called puggles.
You can have Onestar as far as many Australians are concerned - bogan airline renowned for cancellations and delays - but each to his or her own.
Thank you! That's very kind of you to say. Yes, I know about Victoria - you've definitely got why I want to go QLD for them

Apologies, spiny was what I meant to type, spiky was a typo.
PUGGLES! What a hilarious fantastic word.
Not a massive fan of Jetstar, obviously would prefer Qantas/VA, was just simply pleasantly surprised as I expected it to be Ryanair-standards or worse, and it was far better than that.
That XPT buffet attendant deserves an OBE for that! (i haven’t seen the post before he posted it, he just split the post for photos)
This is why I left the bold disclaimer at the end

No worries though. Indeed a very lovely buffet staff member there. Truly sterling customer service, compared to the Port Stephens report XPT's ticket inspector who said "Sit there and don't move!" !!!
Right, it's now 3:30am, I have an exhaustingly full day of uni classes today Tuesday and the alarm is waiting for 10:15, so better get some sleep in
Next report: THE ENTRANCE, CENTRAL COAST 