• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DOWN UNDER with TT-ONR-NRN (+ other overseas ventures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
I bought a random return to Canberra at about 4am last Thursday, when I couldn't sleep. The tickets were about $15 each way (an extra $8-ish for first class - not available on return though)
Are all the fares so low? The level of subsidy must be quite high, unless they do tiered Advances as per the UK, most high-speed trains in Europe and flights and that's the lowest level?
Woe betide me, that my seat should be allocated directly the row behind a family with two very noisy, screaming (yes, screaming - from excitement of the game they were playing but still screaming) children. My heart sank. Call me a miserable twit, and I’m well aware kids must get very bored on trains and can’t help making a racket - and not all do, I’m not going to generalise - but these were very loud and I knew that four and a half hours of that would make what I hoped would be a very enjoyable journey somewhat torturous! Then to make matters worse, the woman next to me sat down, put her phone to her ear and yapped on at full volume for a good fifteen minutes while stationery, continuing once we’d pulled out of Central and was still going five minutes into the journey when the ticket inspector came round. What a nightmare when I’d had no sleep and wanted to snooze for part of the journey.

Oh, I was too busy bittching about the kids to mention: The ride is seamless. So smooth and so silent, with the subtlest engines I've ever experienced, I honestly had to check I hadn't got on the similarly-timed Melbourne XPT by mistake!

Now, once you’ve left the station and the inspector has “checked you in,” you can move to a free seat. First class is only half a carriage (next to the noisy buffet) and was almost full anyway, plus all you get is more legroom and more recline, both of which were exceptionally generous (and far better than British provisions) in standard, so I had forefitted the additional charge to travel First. My seat had been in the extremely packed (every seat full) middle carriage. The guard knew I wanted to move as I’d asked him on the platform and he’d said I could once the on-board check-in had taken place, so he quietly said under his breath “Go and find a seat in D if you like, pick any it’s unbooked), and I walked into the third carriage (D - there’s no C) which was EMPTY apart from a couple at the seat closest to the door and a girl sleeping right at the back! Why they keep one of the two standard class carriages free on a booked seat only service I have no clue, but I wasn’t about to complain at this moment. I went and picked a perfect seat at the back and settled in very happily.
You do seem to have bad luck at where you get seated - if it's not noisy kids (or adults) its the weirdos! ;)

At least you were able to move to better surroundings...

Full dinners (available on longer services only) cost about $8/£4.50, hot pies and sausage rolls are about $4/£2.25, etc. They do cream tea style scones with jam and cream, so I ordered one of those and the nice guy behind the bar told me he'd bring me that to my seat. Amusingly he came to my seat about ten minutes later and sheepishly admitted he'd burnt the scone so it would be another ten minutes; I wasn't quite done with writing the trip report about Cronulla/Bundeena on my laptop so was more than happy to wait. It was only about the equivalent of £3 and was fresh, warm and delicious. The jam was exceptionally obviously homemade, it was runny and tasted absolutely fabulous. I don't like clotted cream that much (always brings in shocked gasps of outrage) so used that sparingly and sloshed the jam on by the dozen to compensate. It is tradition in Devon, from where the treat is most famous, to serve with a pot of tea, but it is tradition in TT-ONR-NRN's life to serve most things with a medium-to-large-sized can of Red Bull (it's gonna cause me an early death, I promise you) so that is exactly what I did :D
Very nice, but yes, the Red Bull is gonna kill you one day, mate <D

Canberra station. God, isn't it underwhelming for a capital city. It's literally a single platform with a small freight yard alongside, and a modern and functional yet sparse building with an information desk, loos and rows of seats for waiting that remind me a bit of an airport gate. The station is served by the three or four departures a day to Sydney Central and THAT IS IT. Bit poor really. It's also about 2 miles from the city centre, so one must take a bus.
Yep, everything I've read said it was literally a nothing station. A shack with seats and a ticket office and bascially a bare platform. Nevertheless, I understand it has always been in that location - it was never more central and moved out to the suburbs as happened in some US cities for example, it's been in the sticks since it opened.

I had to wander round for a bit to find out what was going on in the city, to be honest I struggled to find anything notable at first, other than a shopping centre and a rather pretty street with cafes and food outlets, so I got myself a mocha and tried super-stereotype Vegemite - because it's a must try - on toast, which isn't bad at all but it's got an odd petrol smell and is more bitter than my childhood favourite Marmite. A fellow customer and the staff got chatting to me and were very excited to see my try it for the first time. I've ended up chatting to random strangers a lot while in Australia, (by the way TODAY WED 1ST MARKS EXACTLY ONE MONTH IN AUS :)) and while I don't like to generalise in such a way, Australian people are just the loveliest, friendliest most warm and welcoming people I've ever met, they are a real pleasure and have made me feel so welcome, what a change from UK especially in Cardiff where I've found a lot of South Wales can be very blunt and rude) I was still hungry so a nice fish taco was in order from a street food stand, and then as I was informed by many people that Canberra had no tourist information outlets, it was onto my phone to see what there was to do.
Again similar impressions to what I expected; Canberra seems a bit empty for a capital city.
The electric scooter was best choice I could’ve made
That's a great photo! :E Scooters for the win, eh?

Why’d it leave the U.K. then?
It's not the same company.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Yikes to Canberra being a disappointment, and for the issues going back to Sydney. I genuinely didn't know Sydney wasn't the capital city of Australia!

As for all that Red Bull, that reminds me of my long-ago addiction to energy drinks. Dangerous stuff, and no wonder you're not sleeping properly!
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Yikes to Canberra being a disappointment, and for the issues going back to Sydney. I genuinely didn't know Sydney wasn't the capital city of Australia!
Ironically Sydney has never been Australia's capital, before Canberra was constructed Melbourne hosted the Federal Government. The whole Sydney vs Melbourne thing is actually why Canberra exists at all, indeed it was a compromise all round. Melbourne got to be the de facto capital while Canberra was constructed, and in return it was agreed that the permanent capital could be sited within New South Wales, so long as it was at least 100 miles from Sydney.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Ironically Sydney has never been Australia's capital, before Canberra was constructed Melbourne hosted the Federal Government. The whole Sydney vs Melbourne thing is actually why Canberra exists at all, indeed it was a compromise all round. Melbourne got to be the de facto capital while Canberra was constructed, and in return it was agreed that the permanent capital could be sited within New South Wales, so long as it was at least 100 miles from Sydney.

Well I've learnt something new there then. Thanks!
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
All public transport fares in NSW are really cheap, £75 first class from Melbourne to Sydney, getting in for 1000km and 11 hours
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,953
Ignore me I wasn’t really sulking I was more joking :lol: I’m not that spoilt and needy ;) My main trip to the BMs including Katoomba is planned for this day next week, when there is forecast to be no clouds at all! :D

I’ve been to Katoomba twice - once in foggy drizzle, and once under blue skies. Don’t bother going if the former!
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
Are all the fares so low? The level of subsidy must be quite high, unless they do tiered Advances as per the UK, most high-speed trains in Europe and flights and that's the lowest level?
Yes, the regional train services have been rather politically sensitive since the late '80s, when they only barely survived a beyond-Serpell-style slash and burn, so they get a decent bit of fare subsidy. Many places only get one-train-per-day-each-way though, so that's a bit of a balance on it.

Ironically Sydney has never been Australia's capital, before Canberra was constructed Melbourne hosted the Federal Government. The whole Sydney vs Melbourne thing is actually why Canberra exists at all, indeed it was a compromise all round. Melbourne got to be the de facto capital while Canberra was constructed, and in return it was agreed that the permanent capital could be sited within New South Wales, so long as it was at least 100 miles from Sydney.
Well I've learnt something new there then. Thanks!
Next time tell me in advance that you're going to do this, so I don't bother wasting my time posting the same thing nearly four hours ahead of you.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Yes, the regional train services have been rather politically sensitive since the late '80s, when they only barely survived a beyond-Serpell-style slash and burn, so they get a decent bit of fare subsidy. Many places only get one-train-per-day-each-way though, so that's a bit of a balance on it.
I knew that the frequencies were lower than the UK (distances are longer though as well aren't they?), but not that the fares were quite reasonable. I assumed they were more akin to the high fares on long-distance trains in the US and Canada.

Next time tell me in advance that you're going to do this, so I don't bother wasting my time posting the same thing nearly four hours ahead of you.
My apologies, I genuinely didn't notice that section of your post :oops:
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
TT, you twice referred to 'Camperdown' (which is a Sydney inner suburb but not with a station) when you meant 'Campbelltown'.

The scenery between Goulburn and Canberra is not 'deserty': it's attractive and productive pastoral country where kangaroos can often be seen from the Canberra-Sydney trains, especially early in the morning or at dusk.

You omitted the Molongo River Gorge close to Queanbeyan (NSW) that the XPLorers wind through. Very scenic. Did you fail to see it?

Canberra is a planned city with many attractive buildings. Have a look at Google maps. It has many hectares of attractive native forest that plays host to huge numbers of native birds and native trees and shrubs. I agree a visitor could find it 'boring' but many residents don't. You could easily have spent more time on the tram out to the Gungahlin terminus, and yes, if all goes well it should be extended to be even more useful.

Woolworths in Australia is a publicly listed company (as is Coles) with WOW in Australia having no relation to the South African Woolworths Holdings that until recently owned David Jones (department store) and Country Road (fashion).
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
I knew that the frequencies were lower than the UK (distances are longer though as well aren't they?), but not that the fares were quite reasonable. I assumed they were more akin to the high fares on long-distance trains in the US and Canada.
No, actually, I've looked at TT's post again and see he's said $15 instead of £15, and I've no idea where a figure that low comes from. Countrylink's booking engine is quoting me $40.67 each way for Sydney - Canberra, discounted to $33.89 if purchased online for a less-busy service. That's about £19 at the moment, which is closer to my expectations.

However, yes, the fares are still low by British standards - the online-discounted one-way rate for Sydney-Armidale, a touch over 350 miles, is $49 in economy or $68 in first. They also used to have a $50 cap on economy fares over winter, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Of course, all of these come with compulsory reservation and no break-of-journey, so by the forum's standards it's utterly intolerable regardless :p

It really must be stressed though that these services exist in a political and social space quite different to those here. For most regional towns cities the main link with Sydney is by air, with private cars coming in second place. The rail service is pretty much just the backstop for people who can't afford, or aren't able, to fly or drive - because it's so torturously slow that there's no hope of any commercial competition. That 350 miles to Armidale takes eight hours, for example, but Qantas will get you there in eighty minutes and a lot of people will quite happily hand over the extra $100-odd attached to that.

My apologies, I genuinely didn't notice that section of your post :oops:
I mean, I figured it was something like that rather than a deliberate snub, hah.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
Ahh so many comments, thank you very much! :D
It's amazing what you can do with a bit of insulation. They're only a wee bit younger than the 159/0 fleet, just to rub it in, though the drivetrain is closer to that of a 185's.

Honestly, you're lucky it's there at all. Everybody else is flying.

The concept is not entirely different to that of, say, Washington DC over New York, or Bern over Zurich or Geneva or Basel, and similarly if there was suitable patch of bare land somewhere a bit further north in England than London I'd suggest decanting Whitehall into it rather than having to entertain endless squabbling between Birmingham and Manchester.
To be honest though, they certainly look rather older than the 159s due to the metal stainless-steel fluted coating a la V and K Set/Melbourne Comengs.

Tbh I did look at flying home but a same day flight was really quite expensive. I chose to fly between Melbourne and Sydney because flying was not much more expensive and whether I like railways or not I won't get the train for 12 hours when I can fly for one.

It makes me think a bit of Ottawa being Canada's capital when growing up a lot of my friends would think Toronto was the capital.
Are all the fares so low? The level of subsidy must be quite high, unless they do tiered Advances as per the UK, most high-speed trains in Europe and flights and that's the lowest level?

You do seem to have bad luck at where you get seated - if it's not noisy kids (or adults) its the weirdos! ;)

At least you were able to move to better surroundings...

Very nice, but yes, the Red Bull is gonna kill you one day, mate <D

Yep, everything I've read said it was literally a nothing station. A shack with seats and a ticket office and bascially a bare platform. Nevertheless, I understand it has always been in that location - it was never more central and moved out to the suburbs as happened in some US cities for example, it's been in the sticks since it opened.
Again similar impressions to what I expected; Canberra seems a bit empty for a capital city.

That's a great photo!
:E
Scooters for the win, eh?

Sorry I knew there was a $40 fare but I had it in my head that it was the return fare. It was about $40 one way and $30 the other.

I get a lot of weirdos actually, but here they seem to linger more on the buses than the trains.

My parents threatened to ask my local Sainsbury's to refuse sale of Red Bull to me when I was 14/15. It died down at the end of secondary school, replaced by a just as OTT craving for Monster Original over college and first year, and then Red Bull took over again last (British) autumn:lol:

Everyone did warn me that Canberra was quite empty tbf, but I'm not going to go to Australia and not see the capital city, especially when in terms of Australian distances (think Perth) it's really quite close.

No it is not a great photo it is repulsive and my lips look fat, but it's quite amusing.
All public transport fares in NSW are really cheap, £75 first class from Melbourne to Sydney, getting in for 1000km and 11 hours
It's very good value though I deem the first class a waste of money if too much more.
TT, you twice referred to 'Camperdown' (which is a Sydney inner suburb but not with a station) when you meant 'Campbelltown'.

The scenery between Goulburn and Canberra is not 'deserty': it's attractive and productive pastoral country where kangaroos can often be seen from the Canberra-Sydney trains, especially early in the morning or at dusk.

You omitted the Molongo River Gorge close to Queanbeyan (NSW) that the XPLorers wind through. Very scenic. Did you fail to see it?

Canberra is a planned city with many attractive buildings. Have a look at Google maps. It has many hectares of attractive native forest that plays host to huge numbers of native birds and native trees and shrubs. I agree a visitor could find it 'boring' but many residents don't. You could easily have spent more time on the tram out to the Gungahlin terminus, and yes, if all goes well it should be extended to be even more useful.
Yes you're right I meant Campbelltown, Camperdown is where I live hence the confusion. I did see some nice rivers yes, and it was very pleasant scenery just not awash with waters and lakes as per the route to Newcastle which is a firm favourite. I hope you weren't upset by my description of Canberra, which was very pleasant, just a little too quiet for me personally.
Yikes to Canberra being a disappointment, and for the issues going back to Sydney. I genuinely didn't know Sydney wasn't the capital city of Australia!

As for all that Red Bull, that reminds me of my long-ago addiction to energy drinks. Dangerous stuff, and no wonder you're not sleeping properly!
I'm trying to cut down! :lol:
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
TT, one other small omission is between Campbelltown and Goulburn on the main line to Melbourne, the scenery is often what I consider to be attractive Australian eucalypts (note: not 'eucalyptus', that's the oil) that you'll better know as 'gum trees' and you pass through the Southern Highlands, with historic stations at Bowral and Mittagong as well as Moss Vale and other smaller ones like Bundanoon and Wingello.

Have you caught up with how at Picton, NSW you passed the junction to Thirlmere and that the eponymous rail museum has quite a few tours (called 'events' these days, hmmm):

 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
As for all that Red Bull, that reminds me of my long-ago addiction to energy drinks. Dangerous stuff, and no wonder you're not sleeping properly!
I know it’s terrible. I only had one today, I was good, although it was the big 500ml can oops. Usually I get a 330ml or 250ml one, but I did a three mile hike in 29°C today, and my god did the first sip feel good, ice cold from the fridge of the supermarket halfway!


Quick run through of DAY 24 highlights:

The day after Canberra I was very tired and also had a uni Zoom meeting in the middle of the day, so I didn’t go far. I had a few hours in between waking up and doing the meeting, so I decided I’d take my book to the beach. Coogie was today’s choice, so I took a Waratah to Wynyard where they have a shop with nice coffee, bought one of those and took an Alstom double tram to Randwick. Coogee is just down the road.

It was cloudy but hot. Here’s Coogee. These lovely seawater pools are really common to see on Australian beaches. Bondi, Manly, Coogee, Cronulla North, Cronulla South, Newcastle, etc all have them.

D9369C1E-666E-45B2-A8CF-55954B5EF125.jpeg

I don’t like getting unnecessary sandy if I can help it, so I marched up the cliffs and found a peaceful spot away from everywhere else with a nice view, and enjoyed a lovely hour’s reading. The image is a screenshot from a video off of my Instagram story so it’s blurry, sorry. Look at the difference between this photo and the one above :lol: The Instagram app camera is rubbish compared to the normal camera on my new phone, which is really great.

F31A78F7-EF9D-415C-855E-2F95EDD1CC3C.jpeg

While I was there, my apartment building group chat blew up and I learnt this colossal (I think Huntsman) spider had been found on the floor below mine - here’s a screenshot of the video. They’re harmless enough.

E21C9987-6EB6-4B02-BF4E-7E649410D902.jpeg

And then in the evening after relaxing and socialising in my apartment, I picked up chicken and chorizo gnocchi in a creamy green peppercorn sauce from my local Italian pasta place, ate it on a Waratah into town, then jumped aboard a CAF tram to the stop by Darling Hbr, to take it in at night. It’s stunning. I did a panorama.

07850B2D-4250-432F-AA64-45EE3BF2F244.jpeg

Walked back to Central and it was gone midnight, with loads of Waratahs coming into the terminal platforms on additional every five minute shuttles from Olympic Park, as Ed Sheeran had played. These pictures quite clearly show you the difference in livery between the A and B set Waratahs. While the silver bodyside livery is largely the same, the different colour front ends are shown very clearly here. A Sets have the original Sydney Trains yellow like M, H, T, K and V Sets, and the recently withdrawn S and C Sets, and then B Sets (which are the newest to the fleet/2018-2021 introduced) have a rather tacky orange which I don’t like. The soon-to-be-introduced Intercity D Sets also have an orange front. I think A sets look far nicer.

2DF56308-388F-4F78-AE42-24766CC30CEF.jpeg 9D7187BC-AF4E-4D56-AA9E-9277F5076AF7.jpeg 3AEC5CF0-91BD-4DFE-A082-E343A4C5B880.jpeg
Anyway, I then took a B14 back to Erskineville (I usually use Newtown but Erskineville and also poorly-served Macdonaldtown are just as close, or perhaps five minutes max longer) where it passed an A Set bound for the city centre, again I’ll show you the difference. Apart from the B Set having a different PIS and better CCTV, they’re effectively the exact same train.

A69756EE-DDBC-4978-ADA4-503CA2AC8166.jpeg

Just a quiet day showing how I like to pop into town. There hasn’t been a single day yet where if I haven’t gone somewhere far I’ve not gone into town. I refuse to spend a single day entirely in Newtown, beautiful and busy as it is. (And it is both, it’s known as Sydney’s party suburb so I’m very lucky) Usually I go there for lunch, either on my own or with a mate. Grill'd is a good'n for burgers, GyG is a firm favourite Mexican now, and I love RAGU's bruschetta :D

I shall now immediately upload Day 25, which is a proper report :) Like Canberra, it will be delivered in two parts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
Day 25: Manly Beach, on Mardi Gras Day!

DDF7611E-6DF6-4B5B-B651-B1FCE4A9D565.jpeg

I really need to start a report without starting with “it was a very hot sunny day,” for once, but the truth is Sydney just seems to see so very many of them - and last Saturday was no exception. This day was Mardi Gras, which is a big festival for Australia that would dominate most of the city centre, and I’d actually been asked by two different groups to join them that day - however - all I could think in my head was, if everyone’s at Mardi Gras, surely the normally exceptionally busy Manly Beach would be empty as anything! I’d also been out the night before and fancied some time to myself - I’m very sociable but have really grown to appreciate good quality me-time since being here (it’s made me so much more independent)

So I declined both parties - it’s not really my sort of thing anyway - and instead headed off to Newtown early afternoon to get the train to Circular Quay.

I was rather excited when a Tangara showed up in place of the usual Waratah or Millennium set - Tangaras work all T4 and some T1 and T9 services, but I’d never heard of them working the T2 that stops at Newtown - I was half wondering if it was out of service! But sure enough, the doors opened and the guard told me that currently (on weekends only) a single Tangara pair works a diagram that puts it on interworking T2 and T8 services all day. So I had a very nice and enjoyable change for my journey to Circular Quay via Central.

B3E0894E-F10B-4BF5-9B13-2EE7050AEC5B.jpeg 3F3E1F8C-14A9-4FEA-A29E-78546B1E88A7.jpeg

At Circular Quay, it was straight onto the Manly ferry, and I was a little shocked to see the Opal gate charge me an instant $8. Not only does it usually charge you at the end, but $8 is a hell of a lot of a single journey within the city on a Sunday. That’s pretty much London Oyster prices! It was explained to me that as the Manly ferry is the busiest of all ferries due to Manly’s immense popularity, and because the route is self contained, with its own gate at each pier, all passengers are charged a more expensive rate of $8 which is taken immediately by the gate as it knows its the only destination option - as a result one does not need to touch out.

I took an outside seat on the ferry and as usual enjoyed passing the harbour bridge and opera house on the water, as I felt the breeze sweep by me, delightfully cooling in the thirty-degree heat. The journey didn’t take long at all, and soon I had embarked by Manly’s attractive looking harbour. The harbour has a very tiny beach of its own, actually, but walking to the other end, just down a short shopping street, will bring you out by the main beach, which despite Mardi Gras was still rather busy, but not as bad as normal and nothing on Bondi’s crowds. I actually forgot to take a picture, sorry, in my haste to go somewhere else just nearby:

0D32CC44-E995-4CCE-BA44-5DB365E7B322.jpeg

If there’s one thing I tend to do it’s favour the hidden-away gems of a place over the tourist traps, so I turned away from the main Manly beach and walked along the faultlessly clear blue sea (From memory, I was feeling nostalgic and listened to Blur’s Parklife for the first time in many years, acknowledging that the way they talk is exactly how many people here in Australia expect me to sound when finding out I live in the UK!) towards the much quieter and yet much more beautiful smaller beach at the other end.

Canwara, but what should scamper alongside me as I’m strolling along but a fat lizard? It was rather tame so I took a few pictures with it, and then was rather distracted by a cockatoo which seemed to mistake me for a tree branch. (That didn’t help my insecurities about being skinny and lanky, so thanks bird) Christ, I thought, I am getting close with nature today.

FA6E4A6D-5551-4350-872E-5BD697537FC5.jpeg 3E35E28E-0389-409C-9A90-EB6D49C4A928.jpeg

And I was to get even closer with nature as once I’d made it to the smaller, much nicer beach (we’ll get to that next), the grassy bank to the side by the toilets and cafes was absolutely rioting with wild turkeys! There must have been about five or six at least, all running around - one little girl was chasing them and giggling delightedly as she shrieked “RAAAHHH” and they squarked in disgruntled alarm. I found the sight very comical indeed. Some even wandered onto the beach.

Ohh, the beach! You could not get more proof than this beach about how it pays to avoid the tourist hotspots and opt for the lesser-known beaches. It was a shady cove surrounded by rocks and reefs, with extremely clear sea. It was stunning - and by comparison, the still very nice main Manly Beach looked like Bournemouth. It was like a beach in Barbados down the road from a beach in Benidorm. (I’m not deliberately trying to be aliterative; it just so happens that all those towns start with B) I’ve actually been to Barbados in 2016 and this beach was on par with some of the best over there. The water was as warm and as clear. In fact, it was much clearer than the water of Caribbean island Saint Lucia, which had somewhat translucent sea at the beaches I’d gone to during my 2017 fortnight there. Here’s a full sizer:

63DBE6D5-3277-4761-B6EC-B687537BFB8B.jpeg


I didn’t stop there though, I always think if a path continues then so should you - else you may never see potentially stunning sights further on. You can always walk back after if there’s nothing there! But in this case, there was, in fact the path turned into steps which led to a trail above the beach I’d just been on, overlooking it with some wonderful views. I pressed on, looping round the cove, passing into a forestry section, and there I found it - the secret steps down onto an enormous secluded pile of giant rocks in the middle of the ocean, with full view of the beach - my exclusive area. I did a panorama too:

In the midst of the giant rocks was a truly monstrous rock which I thought would make a perfect base to sunbathe on, so I ambled over to it, careful not to trip on the slippery unstable rocks or to get nipped by the many, MANY crabs crawling everywhere, but I got to it - and it was paradise. My own little secluded rock, in the middle of the sea, with an amazing view. Now that is the way to enjoy a beach.

DDF7611E-6DF6-4B5B-B651-B1FCE4A9D565.jpeg

Here’s a panorama I took:

4CABCBC3-6445-4CCD-BEF8-9125A00E7B30.jpeg

The water was deep at this point, about 2 metres, yet so clear you could see all the way to the bottom. As it was a cove, the waves were no more than tiny ripples even this far out. There was a little reef, and people were snorkelling in the distance. Dipping a toe in proved it to be deliciously warm, the temperature of water where you can stay underwater without moving a muscle and not feel even near chilly once - the sun was cooking us in a luxurious but intense 31° and that water was calling to me. Only there was one problem.
I looked in my bag and realised I’d left my trunks behind.

Well, I guess this means I’ll miss out on this stunning water, right?

WRONG! HAHAHAHA no flipping WAY! You only live once, and I’ve learned to take every chance in life I get to do brilliant things, so knowing fully well I’d regret it otherwise, and seeing as hardly anyone else was around, I stood on the edge of my private rock and dove into the immaculate turquoise in my Calvin Kleins. :p

That’s Part One. Part Two is directly below.
 
Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
Day 25: Manly Beach, on Mardi Gras Day!

That’s Part One. Part Two is directly below.
This is Part Two (split into two parts to get more pics in, also - a very short report about the day before, including Coogee Beach and night time Darling Harbour is immediately above that if you haven’t seen).

So, I had a good twenty-minutes or so swim, and then I got really self-conscious as a group of snorkellers came my way - and I’m sure one of them saw me in my CKs and started laughing (can’t blame him, I must have looked a twait swimming in my boxers, £60 ones or otherwise) so I came out, dried off in my towel, and then sunbathed on my lovely rock. Thanks to the heat I dried immediately.

I was only disturbed once, and that was by a sweet young couple passing by, and I seized the opportunity to ask them if they’d get some decent photos for me. They didn’t speak very much English bless them (I think they were Chinese), for which the lady apologised - I told her never to apologise for that as her English was far better than most English-speakers’ Chinese will ever be.

Oh my god, she kept wobbling and she wasn’t gripping my phone very tight, so I was terrified of my iPhone 14 Pro Max that I bought less than a week before flying off to Australia falling and smashing on the rocks, but mercifully we avoided that catastrophic scenario and after thanking them for the photos, I decided to return to Manly’s main square for something to eat.

Well, I only ate the most blissfully delicious tacos I’ve ever had the pleasure of demolishing in my life: incredible fish tacos, filled with crispy cod, shredded cabbage, pineapple, pico de gallo salsa, chilli mayonnaise and guacamole. The restaurant was exceptionally posh (I was in beachwear) and while I’m more independent now I’m still not big on eating solo in restaurants, a drink in a coffee shop perhaps but not a full meal, so I ordered them to take away and popped into Coles for some groceries while I waited for them.

5605C129-722B-4F61-829A-0BAAE13D78AD.jpeg

I’m always impressed by the enormous variety of fresh produce in Coles and Woolworths, especially the exotic fruits all laid out like dragonfruit, guava, durian, whole pomegranates, etc. and all Australian grown! I suppose they do have the climate for it here. I hadn’t actually cooked a meal since moving in to my Newtown apartment, and it’s not fantastic financial practice to eat out every night for five months, so I decided to make a start that evening and bought three varieties of tomatoes, red onion, a beautiful fresh bloomer loaf, an expensive (but it has to be really, you can taste the difference easily) extra virgin olive oil and some really nice fancy salt and pepper shakers. :)

263EEDBB-B8F5-41EF-AC14-4098765E3EE8.jpeg

The tacos were ready when I returned and despite being quite pricey at $23 for two small ones, they were the nicest I’ve ever had so immediately ordered some more before getting the ferry back to Circular Quay - the sun began to set now, and the Bridge was illuminated very brightly for Mardi Gras. Sorry, these photos are blurry because they’re stills from my Instagram story videos, and the Insta camera is rubbish compared to my high quality new phone camera.

2A41E6F9-E695-4933-BA16-1BA8E163D3C3.jpeg 99EC7E41-6168-4274-AB1E-F005D7520D81.jpeg B8FD20C1-9EA2-4B1D-91E3-D5BF2E96B241.jpeg

Jumping on the B Set Waratah that greeted me on-shore, it was 8pm and I was looking forward to a relaxing night. However, as luck would have it, two of my friends were on this Waratah heading to the Mardi Gras at St James (they (both girls) were dressed up and looked incredible - in enormous heels that can’t have been comfortable at all) and lets just say i was very quickly convinced to join them for Mardi Gras clubbing. I did look very plain though, so they shoved a load of glitter on me and rolled my top up - I personally think that made me look absolutely ridiculous but I was assured that the wackier I looked the better and sure enough, everyone was dressed as colourful and bright as could be, so I loosened up and poured the rest of the glitter pot all down me :lol: When in Rome, as they say.

91DA39B1-F8C0-45F5-A5E0-B4608BE4BEE4.jpeg

Sadly I realised what with all of the rushed change of plans, I left my bag of $40 Coles groceries on the boat - and I later realised I left my £200 Rai-Ban sunglasses on the rock! The SECOND pair I’d lost since arriving in Sydney. Ah well.

Anyway, I’ll leave the report there, because there’s not much else to say other than I spent the rest of the night in a rather fancy club (entry alone was sixty!) downing lychee martinis and getting back to Newtown at 6am. A gigantic breakfast burger (chorizo, egg, spinach, hash brown, BBQ sauce) was ordered via Uber Eats and DEVOURED, and then it was to bed. At 8am.

C6878703-BEC2-4540-B1E4-49FC541E64F6.jpeg

Manly was nice anyway ;)

Thanks for reading.

Join me soon for the next ‘un, eh?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
I don’t like getting unnecessary sandy if I can help it, so I marched up the cliffs and found a peaceful spot away from everywhere else with a nice view, and enjoyed a lovely hour’s reading. The image is a screenshot from a video off of my Instagram story so it’s blurry, sorry. Look at the difference between this photo and the one above :lol: The Instagram app camera is rubbish compared to the normal camera on my new phone, which is really great.
I must concur, your new phone's camera is pretty good. Certainly takes the colour blue well! ;)

No, actually, I've looked at TT's post again and see he's said $15 instead of £15, and I've no idea where a figure that low comes from. Countrylink's booking engine is quoting me $40.67 each way for Sydney - Canberra, discounted to $33.89 if purchased online for a less-busy service. That's about £19 at the moment, which is closer to my expectations.

However, yes, the fares are still low by British standards - the online-discounted one-way rate for Sydney-Armidale, a touch over 350 miles, is $49 in economy or $68 in first. They also used to have a $50 cap on economy fares over winter, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Of course, all of these come with compulsory reservation and no break-of-journey, so by the forum's standards it's utterly intolerable regardless :p

It really must be stressed though that these services exist in a political and social space quite different to those here. For most regional towns cities the main link with Sydney is by air, with private cars coming in second place. The rail service is pretty much just the backstop for people who can't afford, or aren't able, to fly or drive - because it's so torturously slow that there's no hope of any commercial competition. That 350 miles to Armidale takes eight hours, for example, but Qantas will get you there in eighty minutes and a lot of people will quite happily hand over the extra $100-odd attached to that.
Still pretty decent.

I really need to start a report without starting with “it was a very hot sunny day,” for once, but the truth is Sydney just seems to see so very many of them - and last Saturday was no exception. This day was Mardi Gras, which is a big festival for Australia that would dominate most of the city centre, and I’d actually been asked by two different groups to join them that day - however - all I could think in my head was, if everyone’s at Mardi Gras, surely the normally exceptionally busy Manly Beach would be empty as anything! I’d also been out the night before and fancied some time to myself - I’m very sociable but have really grown to appreciate good quality me-time since being here (it’s made me so much more independent)

So I declined both parties - it’s not really my sort of thing anyway - and instead headed off to Newtown early afternoon to get the train to Circular Quay.
I mean I'm not really bothered about Mardi Gras festivities either, I only quoted this bit to complement the photo immediately above!

I’m always impressed by the enormous variety of fresh produce in Coles and Woolworths, especially the exotic fruits all laid out like dragonfruit, guava, durian, whole pomegranates, etc. and all Australian grown! I suppose they do have the climate for it here. I hadn’t actually cooked a meal since moving in to my Newtown apartment, and it’s not fantastic financial practice to eat out every night for five months, so I decided to make a start that evening and bought three varieties of tomatoes, red onion, a beautiful fresh bloomer loaf, an expensive (but it has to be really, you can taste the difference easily) extra virgin olive oil and some really nice fancy salt and pepper shakers. :)
There are three things Australia does way better than us, no contest - fresh fruit, seafood and dare I say - pies?!? :lol:

I did look very plain though, so they shoved a load of glitter on me and rolled my top up - I personally think that made me look absolutely ridiculous but I was assured that the wackier I looked the better and sure enough, everyone was dressed as colourful and bright as could be, so I loosened up and poured the rest of the glitter pot all down me :lol: When in Rome, as they say.
It's Mardi Gras, I think wackiness is obligatory!

A gigantic breakfast burger (chorizo, egg, spinach, hash brown, BBQ sauce) was ordered via Uber Eats and DEVOURED
I want one of those... maybe two...
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Good gravy you must be rather minted! Those sunglasses can't be worth that much, surely? I'd certainly not buy any at that price, especially given my ability to keep hold of one pair throughout a season is as bad as yours :lol:

60 bucks to go into a club? Yikes! Attractive girls do have a special ability to convince people to do stuff they'd never consider otherwise I suppose! :lol: o_O

As for the adventures in what one of my friends would certainly describe as paradise, it looks like it was amazingly beautiful! I note you mention your improvements with feeling less socially awkward in restaurants, that's good to hear 8-) I also note you mentioning being skinny and lanky, you must have an incredibly beast metabolic rate to eat what you do and still be like that. A lot of us would be incredibly jealous, although I note that like one of my colleagues who is similarly skinny, you don't want to be like that. Perhaps more gym/outdoor exercise than beaches is in order :lol:

Good luck on cutting down on Red Bull, that sort of drink is highly addictive and you'll notice a big come-down when you get seriously into the reduction of your consumption. Not just the come-down will be a concern, the mood swings when coming down from a high caffeine consumption will be mega. I speak from experience!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
You've only just sussed that out?

I haven't really been following the OP's stuff on here for all that long, to be fair. I had gathered he was over there with a lot more funds than I went with, but the most recent trip report sure confirmed he has a lot of money to burn! Brand new iPhone 14, top of the range one at that, £60 boxers etc, yeah that's a bit out of the range of most students!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
Manky also has the 4 Pines Brewpub
Manky :lol:
There are three things Australia does way better than us, no contest - fresh fruit, seafood and dare I say - pies?!? :lol:
I’ve only had one pie here and it was terrible.
I’d say fruit, seafood, beaches, scenery and rail fares put us to shame.
Scrub or bush turkey, haha, wild yes, but not actually turkeys :p They have a very curious habit of building their own compost heaps in which to incubate their eggs, rather than sitting on them in a nest.
Funny things aren’t they.
As for the adventures in what one of my friends would certainly describe as paradise, it looks like it was amazingly beautiful! I note you mention your improvements with feeling less socially awkward in restaurants, that's good to hear 8-) I also note you mentioning being skinny and lanky, you must have an incredibly beast metabolic rate to eat what you do and still be like that. A lot of us would be incredibly jealous, although I note that like one of my colleagues who is similarly skinny, you don't want to be like that. Perhaps more gym/outdoor exercise than beaches is in order :lol:

I hate the current quote function on the forum. One wrong move and it messes everything up irreversibly. I’ve just had to copy and paste my reply back underneath the quote because it merged them.

It was beautiful yes. I’m not socially awkward at all (Oi! :lol:) I’m very extroverted, the issue is I’m used to going to restaurants with friends and family and I’ve always thought I would look a bit sad going into one alone, but the reality is there’s nothing wrong with it at all, so I’m getting better at doing that. I’m skinny but fairly muscular, my personal trainer and I were working on improving my diet so I could put on weight and bulk a bit before I left.
 
Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
scenery - I think we have places which can reach equal on that;
Pah! Not one spot in the UK comes close to some of the places I’ve seen in the past few weeks, whether you value the overrated Yorkshire Dales or Scottish Highlands or not, haha.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top