70014IronDuke
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Jun 2015
- Messages
- 4,092
thinking back about it. the MkII's probably did have a/c. Such a long time ago though, hard to remember
BR introduced air-con MkIIs on the Sheffield fasts in October 1973. (this seemed a big deal at the time - the Midland had felt very much left out of developments after 1966).
But when I regularly used the line (up to Sept 1975), the semi-fasts rarely had any Mk IIs, and even if they did, they were not air-con stock.
the impression I get from reading here is that they kept the semi-fasts Mk 1 for quite a few years - although once the line had become 95% HST, I seem to remember seeing one of the two remaining loco-hauled trains and that had non air-con Mk IIs. I think that would have been 1985.
Later still, ISTR seeing the 'peak hour' LHCS sitting in St Pancras in 1990 and it was all air-con stock by then.
The above all from memory - apologies if incorrect on any points.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Going back to the double-header turns on Sundays, I've not located the full log, but my other notes for the run I had on 15.5.83 with 47480+45107 from Leicester-London had the highlights: "81 mph at Desborough and 82 mph at Sharnbrook summits".
Which is substantially faster than a single Peak.
Indeed. This was with 9 on, I assume? So about 310t tare, 340t gross. Plus about 250 tonnes of locomotives !
Pretty much super power. I wonder, given a clear run to St Pancras, what timings such a combination could achieve, while still sticking to the official 90 mph limit. Probably close to 75 mins, I'd imagine. faster then I even went over the summits, for sure, until my (very few) runs with modern traction.
I seem to remember topping those summits regularly at 60-70 max (see below).
I used to time with a 1/10th second stopwatch over half-mile stretches.
Found a trip from 25/3/83, southbound behind 45117, noting 61 mph over Sharnbrook (stopped at Kettering, but not Wellingborough).
A southbound trip in early June 1983 on an HST I noted as 86 mph over Sharnbrook, and the corresponding northbound trip a week later was a 45/1, noted at 68 mph over Sharnbrook.
As i wrote earlier, I thought the normal top speed for a fast was around 60 in the up direction over both summits. Ah, I see now your 68 was in the down direction - yes, that fits exactly with my memory - up trains could start the bank at 90 mph of course - hence the higher speed at the summit.