So once the Chase Line has been electrified, how about a Rugeley TV-Wolverhampton service via Walsall?
Hednesford, Cannock, Landywood, and Bloxwich are all places within Wolverhampton's sphere of influence, not to mention it being a good station for connections.
But how can you be so sure?
The invitation to tender hasn't gone out yet. What if it requires the new bidders to omit stops on some services in order to speed up services to key cities, as part of the franchise agreement?
If the remaining Stafford stops are cut from Liverpool services, I will be joinimg yer man behind the barricades. With the current pattern of cross-country services, it is a fairly important connection point.
If the remaining Stafford stops are cut from Liverpool services, I will be joinimg yer man behind the barricades. With the current pattern of cross-country services, it is a fairly important connection point.
I would say it was less important than Tamworth. How many Virgin trains stop there?
They have not (and if there were cuts, it would not be instigated by Virgin; it is the DfT who decides the minimum service level for rail franchises).So, why has virgin tried cut the intermediate stations from their routes?
Definitely not the case. I think you will find the trains are typically longer now (generally 11 cars) than in 2003, albeit without much additional seating capacity (due to the wasted space in a Pendolino EMU), so the capacity on these trains is broadly unchanged, it has not reduced, and that's in addition to the other trains that didn't run before.Also I notice much longer trains back in 2003, when we are now stuck with mostly 9 car 390s
They have not (and if there were cuts, it would not be instigated by Virgin; it is the DfT who decides the minimum service level for rail franchises).
The usual off peak pattern on the Intercity West Coast franchise (which has been operated by Virgin since around 1997) has always been 1 train per hour at Stafford, on a London to Liverpool service. The difference now is that this train is now non-stop between Stafford and London, whereas it used to make two intermediate calls. The service is better now as there is an additional service calling at principle stations between London and Crewe, including Stafford, provided by another operator.
Stafford also benefits from two CrossCountry services per hour, this used to only be one per hour (the other was non-stop through Stafford).
Stafford retains 2 trains per hour on the Birmingham to Liverpool route, so that is unchanged.
In addition to the standard off peak patterns described above, there are extra trains to cater for periods of peak demand to/from London, with calls at Stafford on ex-Euston trains to Holyhead (1910), Manchester (1940), Preston (2030 and 2110) and trains to Euston at 0555, 0724 & 0736, 2048 (all ex-Manchester).
So it is not the case that Stafford has a worse service. It has a better service!
Definitely not the case. I think you will find the trains are typically longer now (generally 11 cars) than in 2003, albeit without much additional seating capacity (due to the wasted space in a Pendolino EMU), so the capacity on these trains is broadly unchanged, it has not reduced, and that's in addition to the other trains that didn't run before.
I think (I may be wrong) that part of the reason for not doing is to deter Liverpool / Manchester / North Wales passengers from using the Glasgow trains and changing at Crewe, as a means of reducing crowding and providing more space for passengers travelling further north. As I've mentioned before, I'd rather see a Preston-Wigan-Warrington-Crewe local service. There are enough paths for it, especially if only once an hour, as long as it uses 100mph capable stock, and it would meet the local need without compromising long distance WCML services.I wish the London-Glasgow service called at Crewe to provide a more frequent service to Warrington, Wigan and Preston, as well as better connectivity for some passengers.
I think (I may be wrong) that part of the reason for not doing is to deter Liverpool / Manchester / North Wales passengers from using the Glasgow trains and changing at Crewe, as a means of reducing crowding and providing more space for passengers travelling further north. As I've mentioned before, I'd rather see a Preston-Wigan-Warrington-Crewe local service. There are enough paths for it, especially if only once an hour, as long as it uses 100mph capable stock, and it would meet the local need without compromising long distance WCML services.
So it is not the case that Stafford has a worse service. It has a better service!
]With regards to Stafford, where are the most popular season ticket destinations from there?
I find that a little hard to believe. Surely there are more season ticket holders from Stafford for local commutes to places like Birmingham than there are to London? That would be one heck of a daily commute!]
London.
I've always got the impression that the main commutes are Birmingham and Wolverhampton.I find that a little hard to believe. Surely there are more season ticket holders from Stafford for local commutes to places like Birmingham than there are to London? That would be one heck of a daily commute!
I don't doubt it. I wouldn't want to do it myself, but I can see why some people choose to.However, I think you'd be surprised by the numbers that commute to London on a daily basis; I've seen the numbers grow significantly over the years.
I don't doubt it. I wouldn't want to do it myself, but I can see why some people choose to.
I still have my doubts that they exceed local journeys mind you. I don't know whether it's possible to get that data from somewhere? I assume it's commercialy sensitive so not readily available.
Hour and a half to Brighton and enough do that - though much as I don't want to diss Nuneaton, Stafford etc, Brighton is a lot nicer.
Depends on where in London to where in Brighton.It's not even that is it?
I'm sure they'd never cut all the stops whatever happened.
I suppose there could be committments in the next franchise to reduce journey times to say x cities including Liverpool. And with the LNR soon to be 8 cars and going mainline to Crewe, customers could potentially make some connections there. As there will be 3 x hourly trains mainline Stafford to Crewe without counting VT.
I would say it was less important than Tamworth. How many Virgin trains stop there?
The 0527 ex-Liverpool fills up rightly at Stafford, in my experience.I've always got the impression that the main commutes are Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
However, I think you'd be surprised by the numbers that commute to London on a daily basis; I've seen the numbers grow significantly over the years.
Wasn't it Crewe that lost the stop on the Liverpool? Then got it back again about 4 or 5 years ago. Did that add time to the London to Liverpool journey?
It's also completely wrongThat sounds fair enough - for a place of Stafford's size
Reinstate the tunnel from the Stoke line under WCML into Basford Hall yard, but realign at the exit to provide a northbound connection?
For the last 10 years it was possible to stop the Chester services at Nuneaton but Virgin declined to do so, with the new paths available it's even more possible to do so now. However Virgin won't do it hence why we need some competition from Alliance Rail. The Virgin Blackpool services are just spoilers for the Alliance Rail proposals. The sooner we get Virgin off the West Coast or open access operators on it the better.
but Virgin Trains is weak and would be pleased to see them go. Less Virgin hype and hysteria and more of customer service and attention to detail would not go a miss from VT.
Indeed. We've done this topic to death already imho, debating the advantages of a regular clockface timetable vs. adding 'random' stops in the midlands. As I understand it, the idea of the Blackpool services is to add capacity to the NW of England (ie. Preston) in order to take some of the load off the Scotland trains. Stopping them in myriad places in the midlands will detract massively from that.This is nonsense. They would not have lasted 20 years on the route without standing up to Railtrack first and DfT more recently. And they don't come top of the Transport Focus surveys for customer service for no reason.
Virgin are starting up their Blackpool North - Euston services from May using mainly Pendolinos.
The new services are already in the May schedule however what I do find annoying with Virgin Trains is the calling pattern. First stop Rugby then fast to Warrington.
Every 2 hours starting at 0646 from Euston. No calls at Watford, Milton Keynes, Nuneaton, Stafford or Crewe or even Tamworth.
As others have said in this thread the VWC timetable is not very good for connecting purposes.
Before the west coast upgrade you would have sensible connections and direct services very two hours from Watford and Milton Keynes to Manchester, Liverpool and Preston.
Both Nuneaton and Stafford had direct services to the north. Nothing now.
DfT is responsible for much but Virgin Trains is weak and would be pleased to see them go. Less Virgin hype and hysteria and more of customer service and attention to detail would not go a miss from VT.