I got to enjoy some B23s yesterday for the first time, taking on 211 from Woolwich Arsenal to Stratford International and around 25 minutes later (roughly, wasn’t keeping an eye on the time too carefully) I took 224 from Stratford International to Woolwich Arsenal. I got a front seat on the way back, thus getting to also sample the USB-A charging point.
I could have done much shorter journeys, however I felt it wise to do the full length journeys to get a real feel for these trains. En-route to Stratford International I was mostly in the longtitunial (apologies, not a word I know too well so I’ll have spelt that wrong) seat, grabbing a front seat for the final bit.
The seats were pretty firm, in the same fashion as the 345s were to begin with, however I didn’t really notice it after about 10 minutes, also the same as with the 345s. Is it just my imagination though, or are the seats at the very front slightly more padded? They’re also rather high-backed, so more supportive than the old ones are.
I was a touch surprised it’s USB-A not USB-C charging, although I only had the former cable anyway so it worked out well for me. It did charge quite well for what my phone described as a ‘slow charge’, with around 17% added despite using my phone a fair bit along the way. So I can’t really complain about that at all.
I liked the PIS screens on the B23s as well, a useful feature with the information on which side the doors open. It would be useful to have that as an audible feature though, which it wasn’t on my journeys. Something which could be improved for sure.
Aside from that, I enjoyed my journeys and I was going to get 238 done as well, but I was a bit short on time for getting to my booked train home. 217 was on test yesterday too, so I’ve got 4 of them ticked off for sight and 2 for haulage.
Do I think they’re an improvement on the older trains? From the limited look at them I had, for I didn’t walk through the whole train, I would say yes. To me they felt more spacious and I do like the new colour scheme. The red and black of the older trains is what I associate with the DLR but I like the new white and green-blue (no idea what it actually is called!) colour scheme. Feels more modern and light
Final thought, as I’m updating my wants list for light rail, is it 201-254 for the new trains or will they go higher in the number range? Thanks in advance!