• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dirty windscreens on HSTs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
With all the flies getting in the way of 125mph Pendos and the like, the driver's window looks like a graveyard, and those puny wipers look like they don't cope!

As a mere passenger I haven't a clue how well they work - so I'm asking any drivers out there, are the windscreens easy to clean; do they get clogged up on a long run - do you ever have to get out and manually clean them?

And who tops up the water?!

Cheers for the replies to a totally trivial question!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
With all the flies getting in the way of 125mph Pendos and the like, the driver's window looks like a graveyard, and those puny wipers look like they don't cope!

As a mere passenger I haven't a clue how well they work - so I'm asking any drivers out there, are the windscreens easy to clean; do they get clogged up on a long run - do you ever have to get out and manually clean them?

And who tops up the water?!

Cheers for the replies to a totally trivial question!

I have seen at some stations where HSTs operate, buckets of water with mops on the end of the platforms, which drivers can use if they feel necessary. On Pendos, you normally notice when the driver is setting up the cab a very high pressured jet of something, water or some sort of wash, like you would have in a car.
 

STANDISH

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Messages
228
Exeter was one of the places where buckets and mops were used ,certainly for westbound trains, where I use to spot
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
I've noticed buckets and mops at Norwich and Ipswich for the loco hauled sets. I guess class 90 wipers aren't up to much!
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
I remember one time waiting at Lancaster for a severely delayed 2x350 service to Edinburgh which had been delayed at Preston because it had ran out of wiper fluid, and the rear unit needed to run round (!) to the front so the journey could continue. I don't know why a member of station staff couldn't just get a jerrycan of water and feed it in... It caused almost an hour's delay in the end.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
I remember one time waiting at Lancaster for a severely delayed 2x350 service to Edinburgh which had been delayed at Preston because it had ran out of wiper fluid, and the rear unit needed to run round (!) to the front so the journey could continue. I don't know why a member of station staff couldn't just get a jerrycan of water and feed it in... It caused almost an hour's delay in the end.

'elf'n'safety no doubt.... does seem bizarre.
 

fairysdad

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
960
Location
London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I remember taking a 444 from Bournemouth up to Waterloo a couple of years back, went First Class because managed to find a cheaper advance the night before than the walk-up ticket, so was sat at the front. Pretty much every station the train stopped at, the driver got out, and there was a bucket and a brush that he would use to clean the windscreen.
 

driver_m

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2011
Messages
2,248
The wipers on a pendos are frustrating. I'll be charitable about them because they're ok when first set up, once they get hit by a bird though they lose their optimum position and a part of the screen will not get cleaned, leaving huge streaks of crap on the screen. They tend to lift or judder with the screen being curved too. This is one of the few areas where a 221 is significantly better. They get topped up regularly at the terminal stations and usually have enough to last a full day. And for the last point, no I dont clean them myself manually.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,716
Location
Scotland
I remember one time waiting at Lancaster for a severely delayed 2x350 service to Edinburgh which had been delayed at Preston because it had ran out of wiper fluid...
I don't doubt that is the reason you were given, but it sounds quite suspicious. As you said, if it was just a matter of not enough wiper fluid then it would have been much easier (and cheaper!) to get someone to top it up. I would hate to think that it's a depot-only job.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
I've been cancelled due to no washer fluid and cancelled due to faulty wipers. (not a HST)
 

otomous

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2011
Messages
444
I don't doubt that is the reason you were given, but it sounds quite suspicious. As you said, if it was just a matter of not enough wiper fluid then it would have been much easier (and cheaper!) to get someone to top it up. I would hate to think that it's a depot-only job.

Not all stations are staffed all the time or have storage for the supplies. Depots are. The inlets may be below the solebar requiring PTS trained staff to refill or even obtain a block or isolation. The rate at which the fluid gets used up varies according to weather conditions and journey length. To ensure fluid and trained staff anywhere it might run dry would be a logistical nightmare. Hence it is a routine depot job because it is known that every unit gets a trip to the depot on a schedule. It's not a common issue in my experience; if the driver finds the reservoir empty he only has to worry if conditions suggest it will make it difficult to see.
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
How often does it happen (if at all) that a driver fails a loco/unit for having no wiper fluid?
 

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445
Most large/traincrew stations I sign have a bucket and brush, who fills them up or puts detergent in I don't know. In some places you have multiple buckets and brushes at different stop car marks. Makes sense if you think about it. Drivers may choose to clean them if they think the wipers/washers are ineffective.
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
I remember one time waiting at Lancaster for a severely delayed 2x350 service to Edinburgh which had been delayed at Preston because it had ran out of wiper fluid, and the rear unit needed to run round (!) to the front so the journey could continue. I don't know why a member of station staff couldn't just get a jerrycan of water and feed it in... It caused almost an hour's delay in the end.

When first introduced TPE noticed that the windscreen wipers on 185s were degrading very quickly. When they did some digging into the cause of this, they found that a lot of the screenwash bottles contained Urine..... as a result, 350s have locks on the fillers that can only be unlocked by depot staff.
 

47271

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2015
Messages
2,983
That's very interesting, I've only ever been held up twice by windscreen wiper issues - both times it's been on a 185!
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
Never seen one of those before, what purpose did it serve?

The wiper motor is air driven, that small lever allows you to manually operate the wiper if need be. I can't remember if it's the same model as used on the first gen DMUs but they are certainly very similar.
 

neilb62

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
267
Location
Darwen.
As said before the wipers are pretty 'iffy' on 'pendos and I try not to use them above 100mph unless its pouring down. Regarding insects I try to wash the screens at lower speeds when I can, Colwich heading North (65mph) and when leaving stations. I always clean the screen running into a terminus too so the next Driver in the cab has a clean windscreen, just manners in my book.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
The Midland Mainline ones in their original livery had really dirty windows.
 

Railops

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2016
Messages
352
You would think as we can send men to the moon and with all the amazing technology around today that such a trivial thing like dirty windscreens would have been easily fixed by now.
I imagine it's simply that the will isn't there, basically the designers feel drivers will manage with what they've got.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top