• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dirty windscreens on HSTs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
960
Location
London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
You would think as we can send men to the moon and with all the amazing technology around today that such a trivial thing like dirty windscreens would have been easily fixed by now.
I imagine it's simply that the will isn't there, basically the designers feel drivers will manage with what they've got.
Sounds like you're comparing apples and oranges there. The technology involved in space travel and the technology involved in clean glass aren't the same. (In fact, I'd imagine the glass on a space shuttle will also have the same problems!)

Take your standard estate car - it has all sorts of technology in it to do with the safe running of the vehicle, but at the end of the day, the only way you can really clean windscreen glass is by wiping it, preferably thoroughly with a brush. I don't think any amount of technology can stop bugs splatting on the front of a moving vehicle.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
With all the flies getting in the way of 125mph Pendos and the like, the driver's window looks like a graveyard, and those puny wipers look like they don't cope!

As a mere passenger I haven't a clue how well they work - so I'm asking any drivers out there, are the windscreens easy to clean; do they get clogged up on a long run - do you ever have to get out and manually clean them?

And who tops up the water?!

Cheers for the replies to a totally trivial question!

It's very stock dependent.

At my TOC the wipers on our more modern are excellent and powerful, if noisy, the older type rather less so. Mainline stations are equipped with buckets and brooms to clean windscreens before each journey. There's less need to bother with this on lower speed metro routes.

Topping up fluid reservoirs, as with everything else maintenance related, is strictly a depot-only job.

I wouldn't fail a train for running out of fluid but I most certainly would for a non-functioning wiper.
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
You would think as we can send men to the moon and with all the amazing technology around today that such a trivial thing like dirty windscreens would have been easily fixed by now.
I imagine it's simply that the will isn't there, basically the designers feel drivers will manage with what they've got.

Which apparently was urine for some TPE drivers! :lol::oops:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top