• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Destination Blinds Showing Unusual Destination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Blackpool Pleasure Beach shown on a SWT 158 at Penzance.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF4729.JPG
    DSCF4729.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 219

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
One that always gets mentioned is the one with two Voyagers coupled together, with one saying 'Stop following me'. I don't have a photo though.
 

David Barrett

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2013
Messages
554
Curious positioning within the platform there

Commonplace none the less; a pacer can barely fit the remaining platform length. The platforms were shortened quite a bit during re-building work in the mid 1990s until which time it was, of course, possible to fit more stock within the available platform although the actual sidings remain the same length as before.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes it does, its east (Barnetby) facing, but is not normally used by trains in passenger service. The units that work Lincoln-Scunthorpe services stable in bay before returning to Lincoln.

Thanks for confirming that I had not been dreaming about the Bay for the last 57 years. I must have also also imagined that, up until around 20 years or so ago, there was a Western Bay at the opposite end of the Up Platform!;)
 
Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,922
Location
Birkenhead
When the 350's were on test around the West Midlands, I witnessed one claiming it was off to Munich via Stuttgart (in German too...:D).
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,303
Location
Bolton
I thought only FGW had installed black-on-white roller blinds? That is a very odd thing for them to have on there!
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,277
I've had Coalville and Ashby-de-la-Zouch up on a 158. There are a few other places that don't exist on 158s but I can't remember them.

[Edit]
I've also had Sinfin Central up as well! :)
 
Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,356
Location
Yorkshire
During 2008, I remember seeing a Merseyrail unit (though oddly NOT one of the 'City of Culture' branded sets) displaying "Magical Mystery Tour" whist stabled OOU at the stops at Ormskirk after a failure!
 

rob.rjt

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2010
Messages
102
When I used Guildford regularly, I saw a 450 heading south that was apparently for Arrochar and Tarbet.

I also remember seeing an ATW (or predecessor) 158 at New Street showing Pembroke Dock/Doc Penfro cycling on the display, so I would guess they were set up to display both English and Welsh on a cycling basis.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
The original 158 destination screens will cycle between English and Welsh for all Welsh places. FGW 158s display Cardiff Central/Caerdydd Canolog for example.
 

RichJF

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
1,202
Location
South London
Was on my regular commute home once & the Southern annoucement said we were calling at Ifield, NEWHAVEN & then Horsham,

Not quite as outlandish as some others, but one heck of a theoretical detour!
 

Class377/5

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,594
Not on a train but once did see Willesden Depot advertised on the CIS at Waterloo run by London Overground.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
The original 158 destination screens will cycle between English and Welsh for all Welsh places. FGW 158s display Cardiff Central/Caerdydd Canolog for example.

Unless the Welsh and English can be shown at once, e.g. Holyhead/Caergybi.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
We had Birmingham New Street on the front of the Marston Vale 153 again the other day - I doubt the 153 would get there from Bletchley under its own steam ;)
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
One that always gets mentioned is the one with two Voyagers coupled together, with one saying 'Stop following me'. I don't have a photo though.

...And the other saying "But I love you!" Of course!

Theres a clip somewhere of a Voyager at Paddington with "Off to bed" on the front. Somewhere I've got a clip of a Voyager at Leeds last summer with "Sorry its been a long hot day - I'm going to bed. Night Night everyone"!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,113
Location
Redcar
I think I've got 'Off to bed now' somewhere, when I get home (much later) I'll try and find it.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Unless the Welsh and English can be shown at once, e.g. Holyhead/Caergybi.

For some reason, the departure boards at London Euston do this too. Odd because they don't do it for any of the other Welsh stations (although I guess that being as all the other Welsh stations reachable from Euston have English names that are similar or identical to their Welsh ones it doesn't really matter).
 

LM 170

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2013
Messages
41
Location
Kidderminster
I did one time see the guard of a class 150/1 terminating with a service from Stratford-upon-avon at Stourbridge junction and saw him change the destination to Pwllheli this was back in central trains days in 2004.
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
Recently I saw a 319 with Moorgate on the front, something that hasn't been possible for quite a while now!

Back when the ex-LM 321s were newly cascaded to NXEA, and before they were fitted with the newer LED displays, a /4 (with a /3 on the rear) was working to Norwich vice 90 + Mk3s, displaying "Intercity" on the front with some kind of swoosh underneath it! The /3, with its newer LED displays, was correctly displaying Norwich.
 

rf_ioliver

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
1,028
I've seen a Desiro at Clapham Junction displaying the headcode on the front blind and "Cllapham Yard" on the side blind. I guess the driver had a bit of spare time before he set off.

Cllapham ... didn't realise there was a Welsh translation ;)

t.

Ian
 

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
A 171 went ECS through Hampden Park last night with "Uckfield" on the front and back - it was also scrolling through the stations on the Uckfield line !!

Fairly sure it was the ECS back up to Selhurst for the night.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,513
Location
Taunton or Kent
The last time I went to Bath from Paddington half the sleeper stock was still in the platform, with OOC (Old Oak Common) Depot listed as the destination.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,340
"Stansted Airport" on a Class 323 (operating a Liverpool - Birmingham - Stansted service in "Central" days; presumably unit swap at New St.)

"Buxton" on a Class 142, working a Blackpool - Buxton service that was being terminated at Manchester or Stockport. (Class 142 is not cleared to work to Buxton.)
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,892
Location
South Wales
I remember the SWT class 158 or was it a 159 at Bristol TM which had the destination of Inverness.

I think we had a thread about it on this forum with a few members maing a bit of a joke about it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top