Some regional services (LNR Euston - Crewe, GA London - Norwich, SWR London - Weymouth/Exeter) MAY justify it,
I'll say the SWR London - Weymouth / Exeter service is a proper "intercity" service, at least between Waterloo and Southampton / Bournemouth / Salisbury. Similar to the LNR Euston - Birmingham / Crewe services south of Northampton, GA London - Norwich which they actually call it as intercity.
Why have we never made inter-city trains reservations only,with no standing? Or will that have to wait until an overcrowded train is involved in an accident?
I'll rather fly easyJet / Ryanair if the flexibility of train travel is removed.
Queue to get a reservation? Is your computer and smartphone broken? There are also regional trains between those stations.
If intercity trains can't carry local passengers, regional trains will get scrammed. Imagine none of the GWR intercity services carry passengers between London and Reading, how can the regional trains cope with the demand?
People have certainly got used to that, but with a leisure oriented railway no longer willing to pay huge uplifts of 300% over even an Off Peak Return that is simply no longer economic. It needs higher occupancy or complete removal.
Seatfrog's existence is symptomatic of bad yield management / too much 1st, it isn't a viable business model for all of it.
First class is a premium product and cater for the rich. The proportion of first class should be reduced (how should a 5-coach LNER train has 1.5 coaches as first class?! There should only be 1/3 of a coach as first class which caters exclusively to the rich).
I have been a regular standard class traveller - and will still use it on the rare occasion I use a train for leisure purposes. I have never found the environment acceptable to work in though.
I do think the "classes" should be renamed into something more suitable for modern Britain. Perhaps "Business Gold", "Standard Premium" and "Standard Saver" or similar.
"First" and "Standard" are commonly-accepted terms which are the simplest to understand.