• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Declassification of First Class on busy long distance services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
That's great, an option offered for Swansea-Manchester. A buffet car is better than nothing. Thought the Mk4s were only limited to Cardiff-Holyhead once a day? Any chance of any Mk4s running on Cambrian services from Birmingham (I'd choose a Mk4 over a 197)?

No, 197s only on the Cambrian due to ETCS. I do still think it's a major shame a more InterCity like service offering (and hard product) wasn't considered for the Cambrian rather than keeping the "same old" Standard only DMU service, just with new DMUs. I'd not have used Mk4s (at all), I'd have ordered a fleet of something dedicated like FLIRTs.

Indeed, I think TfW have got their whole order a***-about-face, I'd have put 195s on local DMU services in South Wales and Class 231 FLIRTs on long distance!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Have a similar photo, full and standing in all 11 carriages. Was declassified however, but standing in first, in all connecting vestibules and all carriages. Some standing for two hours plus after delays.

Noted one of their colleagues promising compensation on their Twitter for journeys having to be made standing over 15 minutes. I don't think it is genuine and probably just a delay repay in disguise!

It has been the case in the past for at least one IC TOC that if a seat reservation was made but not honoured and it was necessary to stand as a result (i.e. no other seat was available) you could get a partial refund. Unsurprisingly I can't find this on Avanti's website.

LNER on the other hand:


What is the Seat Guarantee scheme?​


Our seats are famously comfy. So it’s only natural to be cheesed off if you find none are available when you’ve gone to the trouble of booking one.
If that happens, and our staff can't track you down an alternative seat, our Seat Guarantee scheme lets you claim a refund. Here’s how it works:
  • If you had a one way ticket, we’ll compensate you 100% of the value
  • If you had a return ticket, we’ll compensate you 50% of the value
  • If you had a First Class ticket and the only seat available is in Standard, we’ll compensate you the difference between the fare you paid and the Standard equivalent
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Birmingham

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2020
Messages
515
Location
United Kingdom
Indeed, but that argument could suggest that Avanti don’t need first class on Birmingham services as a lot of the stops are less than 30 mins apart! I agree to an extent - but I think the wider use of services must be considered.
When these services were run properly pre-covid there was about an hour non-stop between Coventry and Watford Junction or between Rugby and London Euston. And from the December 2022 timetable some services should be non-stop between Coventry and London Euston.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I think it’d be good not to stray too much further from the thread subject from here, which is:

Declassification of First Class on busy long distance services​


Thanks everyone.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
It did make me wonder though- has there ever been an instance where a TM has refused to declassify first class but passengers have taken matters into their own hands?
I was on a very wedged VTEC service a few years back, following some disruption. Before we left Kings Cross the Train Manager made some very aggressive announcements about passengers holding standard class tickets needing to vacate 1st class. I would've moved if I could but it was standing all the way down 1st class as well as standard.

As the train pulled out the Train Manager, by now rather grumpy, announced that 1st class service was suspended until Stevenage. To be fair it looked like half the train got off at Stevenage.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
I’ll be on another pendolino later - and a 9 car. I’ll let you know how busy it is and the conditions surrounding first class entry but I’m dreading it already!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I’ll be on another pendolino later - and a 9 car. I’ll let you know how busy it is and the conditions surrounding first class entry but I’m dreading it already!

Seriously, if it's heaving sit in SP. There is almost no chance you'll be charged if it's so full the guard couldn't get through. And if you are it's not horrendously expensive. I'd go for Coach G given the reports above of K being "reclassified" on some occasions.
 

JamieL

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2022
Messages
955
Location
UK
I was on Pendolino earlier- 1357 Euston to Glasgow service - Coach H was re-roled from Standard Premium to First but G remained SP. I was supposed to be sitting in Coach J but everyone got reallocated to H due to a football team embarking.

In fairness to Avanti, the trip ran more or less as advertised - no declassification nonsense and full food/drink service. It was late of course, but only by 10mins. Biggest grumble is that the journey time has been significantly extended. Its normally circa-4.5hrs but today was scheduled for 5.25hrs. Made it feel alot longer especially with extra lingering time at stations.

Decided to cancel my return journey with them Monday AM and will get the sleeper Sunday night instead.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I was on Pendolino earlier- 1357 Euston to Glasgow service - Coach H was re-roled from Standard Premium to First but G remained SP. I was supposed to be sitting in Coach J but everyone got reallocated to H due to a football team embarking.

So Avanti think 11 prima donnas getting a coach to themselves is more important than not leaving people behind at Euston? I get that they'll have booked it, but these are special times, were I Avanti I'd have booked them a road coach instead and given a refund, or invited them to occupy normal first class seats alongside the slightly-posh-hoi-polloi.

If you've got evidence (e.g. photos) of that rather than just hearsay I'd go to the Press with it.
 

JamieL

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2022
Messages
955
Location
UK
So Avanti think 11 prima donnas getting a coach to themselves is more important than not leaving people behind at Euston? I get that they'll have booked it, but these are special times, were I Avanti I'd have booked them a road coach instead and given a refund, or invited them to occupy normal first class seats alongside the slightly-posh-hoi-polloi.

If you've got evidence (e.g. photos) of that rather than just hearsay I'd go to the Press with it.
I saw it with my own eyes - the train made a special stop at Watford Junction to pick them up and the disembarked at Preston. It was the players and extras - there must have been about 20 of them - all wearing dark blue badged team clothing. I don't follow football though so can't tell you who!

I don't think anyone was left behind though. First passengers in Coach J were just shifted to the same seats in Coach H and there was then just one SP coach - so I guess the only people seen off was anyone who wanted to upgrade to SP but couldn't get a seat- I don't know if that happened as I didn't venture up that far!
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,298
That really depends on if the train is short formed or not. As a passenger paying for first class why should I have a nice journey ruined because a TOC can't be bothered to pay more to the ROSCO !
Why is your nice journey ruined because someone might be sitting in your carriage who paid less than you? That's been the case for many years - you have no idea what someone else paid and what ticket they hold.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Why is your nice journey ruined because someone might be sitting in your carriage who paid less than you? That's been the case for many years - you have no idea what someone else paid and what ticket they hold.

There has for years been an expectation built up that 1st means a table to yourself, because BR and successive TOCs have been awful at filling it up. That was never a right, and now people are moaning on realising it actually means you get one seat.

If that's really how people want it, it should be sold as a per bay upgrade to Standard. But as things are it isn't.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
By chance I got on an earlier service from Lancaster, and it just happened to be a (very quiet!) refurbalino!

Much more pleasant ride home and interesting to chat to some staff about their opinions on the new refurb! Shop staff are saying it’s made their life much more difficult!
 

HarryF

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2022
Messages
163
Location
UK
By chance I got on an earlier service from Lancaster, and it just happened to be a (very quiet!) refurbalino!

Much more pleasant ride home and interesting to chat to some staff about their opinions on the new refurb! Shop staff are saying it’s made their life much more difficult!
Interestingly I had a conversation last month with the shop staff about the refurbished units and they also said the refurbished units were harder to work than the unrefurbished ones so seems to be quite a lot of staff feeling like that
 

m4tt

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2021
Messages
179
Location
London
Shop staff are saying it’s made their life much more difficult!
The first class hosts told me the aisles are slightly narrower making it hard to turn the food/drink trolley. I didn't notice it but I guess if that is your job you would pick up on subtle changes
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,772
Pre-covid I used to commute Taunton-Bristol. On a Friday this would normally mean the 1745 from Bristol which was always extremely cosy.

If a four car turned up, then it was absolutely horrendous.

I knew to stand at the very end of the platform to stand the best chance of getting a reasonable space (never a seat), which would mean being in the vestibule for first class more often than not.

Not once in 6 years of doing that was first class ever declassified
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Western Sunset

Established Member
Joined
23 Dec 2014
Messages
3,062
Location
Wimborne, Dorset
I saw it with my own eyes - the train made a special stop at Watford Junction to pick them up and the disembarked at Preston. It was the players and extras - there must have been about 20 of them - all wearing dark blue badged team clothing. I don't follow football though so can't tell you who!

I don't think anyone was left behind though. First passengers in Coach J were just shifted to the same seats in Coach H and there was then just one SP coach - so I guess the only people seen off was anyone who wanted to upgrade to SP but couldn't get a seat- I don't know if that happened as I didn't venture up that far!
Would've been the Watford team, as they're playing at Preston this weekend.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
What a bizarre attitude - I take it you don't think much of footballers !! Why should such a group, having booked and paid their fares, be denied travel in favour of other people ?
Because the "other people" have also booked and paid their fares, are already on the train.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
What a bizarre attitude - I take it you don't think much of footballers !! Why should such a group, having booked and paid their fares, be denied travel in favour of other people ?

They shouldn't be denied travel. They could occupy seats on the same basis as everyone else, i.e. board and take what is available, or the railway could offer to arrange them a road coach if they preferred private travel. Obviously with a refund from what they paid down to what they got.

Avanti do not presently have the capacity to honour private coach bookings, unfortunately, other than on the Liverpool route which is the only one which has not suffered any cut.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is the button on the microwave smaller? Should they push for a compensatory pay increase?

:)

The layout looks awful to me. Again a missed opportunity for say a smaller counter and some standing bar tables, Italian style?
 

class397tpe

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2022
Messages
172
Location
Cambridge
How are XC not managing to have everything at least 8-car when they're running half their normal service?
It's 3 things really.

1) The cancelled routes are shorter: Newcastle - Reading and Manchester - Bristol/Exeter Vs Edinburgh - Plymouth and Manchester- Bournemouth.
2) The utilisation of HSTs is very poor with only 2 in use per day.
3) They have reinstated certain services - e.g. a number of extras via Doncaster (some from Banbury), and some Manchester to Bristol services.

Unfortunately (other than the HST services) they seem to use the same random unit allocator as Northern and there appears to be no thought about what services get 4 car, 5 car or doubled up. Really, they should be trying to minimise single 4-car running and be trying to run a mix of single 5-cars and double 4-cars. But it just seems totally random.

Also, their basically complete suspension of advance tickets for the past few months and for the foreseeable future means they have no way to steer people towards the services which are planned to have more capacity - the double voyagers, and the HSTs.

We all know XC needs more rolling stock desperately, but this stuff is just pure incompetence. They really could manage what they currently have a lot better.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,587
Location
LBK
So Avanti think 11 prima donnas getting a coach to themselves is more important than not leaving people behind at Euston? I get that they'll have booked it, but these are special times, were I Avanti I'd have booked them a road coach instead and given a refund, or invited them to occupy normal first class seats alongside the slightly-posh-hoi-polloi.

If you've got evidence (e.g. photos) of that rather than just hearsay I'd go to the Press with it.
Problem is, football teams occupy a whole coach and pay very, very handsomely for the privilege and security of a dedicated area. If you shunt them onto a bus (which won't be a luxury team bus) they won't come back to the train again.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Problem is, football teams occupy a whole coach and pay very, very handsomely for the privilege and security of a dedicated area. If you shunt them onto a bus (which won't be a luxury team bus) they won't come back to the train again.

That'll be why they did it, but they should take that hit now given their position. It's no different from declassifying 1st.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,587
Location
LBK
That'll be why they did it, but they should take that hit now given their position. It's no different from declassifying 1st.
Materially, no, but the impact on the TOC is very heavy. Football teams are Avanti's best customers. It's extraordinarily lucrative and I can see why they'd rather turn away "ordinary" passengers even if that doesn't give the right optics.
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
Problem is, football teams occupy a whole coach and pay very, very handsomely for the privilege and security of a dedicated area. If you shunt them onto a bus (which won't be a luxury team bus) they won't come back to the train again.
Given the current position of railway finances it is entirely appropriate for Avanti to be going after this lucrative market.
 

Steve Harris

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2016
Messages
1,204
Location
ECML
Why is your nice journey ruined because someone might be sitting in your carriage who paid less than you? That's been the case for many years - you have no idea what someone else paid and what ticket they hold.
Your missing the point completely.
I'm not talking about passengers paying less than me. I'm talking about TOC's actually having the correct numbers of coaches to carry the correct number of customers in the Class they have paid for.

Do keep up at the back there !!
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
What, is the point that first class shouldn't just be a bigger seat but also that the seat next to you is empty?

People have certainly got used to that, but with a leisure oriented railway no longer willing to pay huge uplifts of 300% over even an Off Peak Return that is simply no longer economic. It needs higher occupancy or complete removal.

Seatfrog's existence is symptomatic of bad yield management / too much 1st, it isn't a viable business model for all of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top