• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day out on the Far North Line - suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
Hi there.

In a few weeks I am off to see a mate in Wick, however to try and keep costs down I am going on the coach.

However I do want to get on the Far North line at some point and there are a couple of days where he is working and I have the day to amuse myself.

So can anyone recommend any trips out I can do from Wick on the train (on a weekday) to get me back into Wick at a decent time? Or is there not much to see out there?

I wouldnt mind visiting a distillery somewhere if there is one along the route?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
If you were going in summer I'd highly recommend the John O'Groats ferry day tour to Orkney including the excellent Highland Park distillery but its trickier to do in a day in Winter.

Old Pulteney distillery is in Wick itself but I've never been on the tour there (have drunk it though and it's very good).

To combine Far North and distillery your best bet is probably going Clynelish in Brora but I'd phone first to check they're doing tours on your chosen day as it's a relatively small distillery.

To get to Brora by the Far North you're looking at leaving at 08:12 (arr 10.03, dep 12.54) and getting back to Wick at 14.52.

Glenmorangie at Tain is another option but the distillery is not handy for the station and it would be a much longer day out.

Forsinard RSPB reserve is a great day out but the visitor centre will be closed for winter and it's not the best time of year at the moment but there are still Deer, Hen Harriers etc and seeing the flow country bogs close up is alawys interesting.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/forsinardflows/default.aspx

It is quite good for a short morning out as you can leave at 08:12 arrive Forsinard 09.16 have an hour there and then get the 10.22 back to Wick arriving 11.22.

Or for the ultimate Far North experience get the 16.00 to Altnabreac (arr 16.55) and experience 20 minutes of darkness and isolation until the 17.16 arrives to take you back to civilisation :)
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
To combine Far North and distillery your best bet is probably going Clynelish in Brora but I'd phone first to check they're doing tours on your chosen day as it's a relatively small distillery.

To get to Brora by the Far North you're looking at leaving at 08:12 (arr 10.03, dep 12.54) and getting back to Wick at 14.52.

This website:

http://www.discovering-distilleries.com/clynelish/

...suggests they do an 11am tour on November weekdays. Now how far is it from the station on foot and how long is the tour? Any ideas?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just Google Mapped it. Suggests 1.1 miles, can easily do that in 20 minutes I suppose.
 
Last edited:

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
It's about a mile from the station so fairly easy to get there in time.

Distillery tours are usually 30-60 minutes so I expect you'd be finished in plenty of time. As I say I'd give them a ring to check times etc before I set off.

Plenty of shops / cafes in Brora to get a bite to eat before you head back as well. It's a nice wee town.
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
Might be the best option then, now Im not a fan of the taste of whisky but always wanted to visit one :D

Plus gets in a fair chunk of the Far North Line too.

Anytime Day Return looks like it is £20.90, I assume this would be the cost on the day too? Could get it for £17.20 as two singles if I book it today. For the sake of a few quid I could just decide on the day I guess.
 
Last edited:

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
Might be the best option then, now Im not a fan of the taste of whisky but always wanted to visit one :D

Plus gets in a fair chunk of the Far North Line too.

Anytime Day Return looks like it is £20.90, I assume this would be the cost on the day too? Could get it for £17.20 as two singles if I book it today. For the sake of a few quid I could just decide on the day I guess.

I'd definitely go for the flexible ticket. It's not that long to wait for the 16.17 so if you were delayed for whatever reason or just decided to go to the pub in Brora for the afternoon, better to have the flexibility.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
If you're a fan of walking, you could get the 08:12 to Ardgay (arr 10:53) and walk from there to Invershin via Invercharron Wood, Viewfield Wood, Hilton Wood and Carbisdale Castle, catching the 15:27 or 19:23 back. I did this from north to south in 2013 and it was a enjoyable walk. Arrived at Invershin at 15:27 and caught the 18:46 out of Ardgay and had to hang around Ardgay for about 30 mins.

I think that there is a hotel very near Invershin station if you need a pint. :)
 

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,393
Brora would be my shout, lovely little town.
 

Essexman

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
1,476
A night at the Forsinard Hotel (assuming it is still open - I stayed there a couple of years ago & enjoyed walking in Flow Country and excellent dinner in hotel).
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
A night at the Forsinard Hotel (assuming it is still open - I stayed there a couple of years ago & enjoyed walking in Flow Country and excellent dinner in hotel).

It has closed sadly. Yours for £425,000 if you're interested.

Last time I stayed there the family having dinner at the next table were extolling its virtues as one of the few places you could stay that also had accommodation for your ferrets and your falcons.

They came up every year to hunt rabbits the medieval way!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Wherever you end up, enjoy the line between Wick and Helmsdale - it's my nomination for most underrated in the country: the scenery and sparsity of it all is breathtaking.
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
Probably going to do the Brora suggestion, my mate thinks Im a bit "sad" given he lives across the road from a distillery in Wick but that wouldnt take up most of the day so there we are :D
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
Wherever you end up, enjoy the line between Wick and Helmsdale - it's my nomination for most underrated in the country: the scenery and sparsity of it all is breathtaking.

It was :)

However I only experienced it on the way back from Brora as the 0812 departure from Wick was cancelled, citing "staff unavailability". So on the bus we went.

I'm actually due to get back on the coach tomorrow to head back home however I now fancy doing the whole route and it's only £12.40 for an advance to Inverness for tomorrow so might go and buy that later when I go to the station to get the train to the cinema in Thurso.

I noticed that the train I was on yesterday had First Class seats however the timetable clearly says that the trains convey standard class only. If I sit in those seats am I going to get in trouble?
 
Last edited:

ScotTrains

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2014
Messages
416
Location
Scotland
It was :)
I noticed that the train I was on yesterday had First Class seats however the timetable clearly says that the trains convey standard class only. If I sit in those seats am I going to get in trouble?

No, as there is no advertised First it is fine to sit there. The locals know about this and so it fills up quickly. There's not much difference other than a power socket and wood veneer on the tables! You'll still have to pay for refreshments if you want them. Seating is still 2+2.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
If I sit in those seats am I going to get in trouble?

Only if you wear white trainers (or any form of sporting attire - unless of course that sport is one of the holy trinity of "Huntin', Shootin', & Fishin'". Whilst we allow Standards in the First on the Far North Line that does not mean that standards should diminish! :p
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,309
Location
Bolton
The Flow County is like nothing I have ever seen before. It's certainly recommended to ride the line just to see it! The enormity and isolation of the place really hits. I wonder what it's like driving across that...
 
Last edited:

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,393
The Flow County is like nothing I have ever seen before. It's certainly recommended to rude the line just to see it! The enormity and isolation of the place really hits. I wonder what it's like driving across that...

Very bleak!

Living up here I take the scenery for granted, so it's lovely to see that people enjoy the FNL and Caithness/Sutherland.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,309
Location
Bolton
Here is a pic I took. Very, very bleak. Didn't know we had anyone local to the Caithness area :D

2014-04-24 13.52.10-1.jpg
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
The Flow County is like nothing I have ever seen before. It's certainly recommended to ride the line just to see it! The enormity and isolation of the place really hits. I wonder what it's like driving across that...

Would need a decent car to do it in, surely :)

Just passing Altnabreac station now (on the free ScotRail wifi). Amazing there is a station out here really.
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
Ha :)

Two people got on at Kinbrace (request stop) which surprised me given there is naff all there! Half an hour away from home now (on the coach for the Inverness-Sheffield part of the journey), been a good week away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top