kylemore
Member
- Joined
- 28 Aug 2010
- Messages
- 1,047
Your world is very simplistic isn't it.
What about the schoolchildren (not students) who use the same bus to get from the villages south of Girvan to Girvan Accedemy then?
Retiming the first bus to arrive in Ayr an hour earlier will mean this group and anyone working in Girvan, getting to Girvan an hour to early.
And before you suggest an additional bus, remember the cutbacks...............
I would like nothing better than the Stranraer line to have a future but if depends on the above it ain't got one.
The cost of an additional bus however expensive is miniscule compared to keeping a railway from Girvan to Stranraer open.
One possibility would be a summer daily steam special from Ayr to Stranraer along the lines of the Mallaig operation.
With the vast potential market of Glasgow and central Scotland just a 50 min frequent electric train service away the potential is enormous, probably surpassing that of Mallaig which is not easily do-able as a day out from the central belt.
Glasgow is a growing tourist and visitor destination and a one day package involving meals on the train or visits to local attractions etc, would I feel be very marketable.
The above is just one possibility and I'am sure other members could come up with more for both viable passenger and freight services.
Sorry Harz99 if I sounded negative but it's going to take more than the passenger flow you're talking about to keep this line open, I'am sure you've got ideas too let's hear them!
Last edited: