• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Croydon TramLink - Recruitment Discussion (All Roles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RDJW18

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2025
Messages
37
Location
Kent
I wasn’t expecting it to be symbols, that must of been quite challenging then ! Best of luck hope you all passed. Do they make you do it on paper or on computer ?
 

RDJW18

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2025
Messages
37
Location
Kent
All in pre-printed booklets
Thanks for the info man. Best of luck in your result !

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hello Flopsie19,
I applied back in December and I have my assessment day today. If I pass this assessment, I will have an interview this week and start date, if successful is 23rd February.

My hubbie has applied for the role also same as you and has just passed the two assessments.

Wondering if he will also be put on same start date, if successful. I know they are running to a compressed timeline at the moment,.so you may have gotten in at a good time in terms of turnaround.

Hope you hear something soon.
How did you end up getting on ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

All in pre-printed booklets
How did you end up getting on ?
 
Last edited:

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
Thanks for the info man. Best of luck in your result !

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


How did you end up getting on ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


How did you end up getting on ?
Hi RDJW18,
Sorry Just noticed your message, as it was merged together. Thank you for asking. I passed the first test and am awaiting update for the last test we did before leaving, just like Barry K. It was more intense than the practice materials, I found.
Good experience. Now in suspense about results. They said it would come through this evening, but seems it might be tomorrow...

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just got the news that Ive made it through to interview stage. Barry K, I'm sure that you've got a good news email too.
 
Last edited:

cors_xcv

Member
Joined
2 May 2023
Messages
10
Location
London
Well done to anyone who sat the assessment today. Unfortunately 24 out of the 34 questions on the RAAT wasn’t enough to secure a pass, perhaps I got too many omissions but it was a good experience overall ! Back to lorry driving for me
How long did you have to answer all questions on the RAAT?
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
How long did you have to answer all questions on the RAAT?
If I remember correctly it was 24 minutes. The real test is more challenging than the practice materials. At one point I felt like I didn't know how to read but just read through carefully, mutter quietly to yourself if it helps and try not to overthink once you have understood the answer.

I got up to question 29. It took a few questions to warm up and then it gets slightly more challenging toward the end, when your brain wants to rest.
 

cors_xcv

Member
Joined
2 May 2023
Messages
10
Location
London
If I remember correctly it was 24 minutes. The real test is more challenging than the practice materials. At one point I felt like I didn't know how to read but just read through carefully, mutter quietly to yourself if it helps and try not to overthink once you have understood the answer.

I got up to question 29. It took a few questions to warm up and then it gets slightly more challenging toward the end, when your brain wants to rest.
Okay I see, I guess it’s a thing where you just have to use a technique what works for you really but above all making sure you’ve read carefully.
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
Okay I see, I guess it’s a thing where you just have to use a technique what works for you really but above all making sure you’ve read carefully.
Yes that's it precisely. I agree with Barry K. It's all in the wording. It seems too that recruitment are very keen to get a goodly number of people through the process. They need a lot of drivers it seems. We were encouraged that if we didn't pass at any stage, we should reapply (basically until we did). :) I've never felt so hopeful at an assessment day :)) failure at any stage is not the end.

They have a couple more training dates in months to come. So you could set up a job alert, anyone who may like to apply or reapply.
 

RDJW18

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2025
Messages
37
Location
Kent
Yes that's it precisely. I agree with Barry K. It's all in the wording. It seems too that recruitment are very keen to get a goodly number of people through the process. They need a lot of drivers it seems. We were encouraged that if we didn't pass at any stage, we should reapply (basically until we did). :) I've never felt so hopeful at an assessment day :)) failure at any stage is not the end.

They have a couple more training dates in months to come. So you could set up a job alert, anyone who may like to apply or reapply.
Hi mate, is it not the same as train driver where you have to wait 6 months to reapply and 2 chances maximum or is it literally apply as many times as you like until you pass ?
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
Hi mate, is it not the same as train driver where you have to wait 6 months to reapply and 2 chances maximum or is it literally apply as many times as you like until you pass ?
Literally apply as many times, is my understanding. Tram is not the same as train. I've applied for train driver trainee positions and the tests are different and they specifically tell you you cannot reapply within 6 months and their sifting includes sending your details to OPC to see if you have sat before (I applied to Arriva - they check postcode and OPC). But Tram does not specify that. HR even told us that another assessment day is being held in February (so basically reapply).

I know someone who applied more than once for position and has just passed initial assessment - (online not OPC), application is now under review with hiring manager. So its possible to reapply (this was a reapplication in the space of a month).

I'd say go for it. HR should know the process. For peace of mind, contact Alice at recruitment (email is on website). She replies promptly.
 
Last edited:

RDJW18

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2025
Messages
37
Location
Kent
Literally apply as many times, is my understanding. Tram is not the same as train. I've applied for train driver trainee positions and the tests are different and they specifically tell you you cannot reapply within 6 months and their sifting includes sending your details to OPC to see if you have sat before (I applied to Arriva - they check postcode and OPC). But Tram does not specify that. HR even told us that another assessment day is being held in February (so basically reapply).

I know someone who applied more than once for position and has just passed initial assessment - (online not OPC), application is now under review with hiring manager. So its possible to reapply (this was a reapplication in the space of a month).

I'd say go for it. HR should know the process. For peace of mind, contact Alice at recruitment (email is on website). She replies promptly.
Well, I have a bit of spanner in the works. I emailed and asked the recruitment email. Apparently it is a 6 month wait to reapply and according to the email the tram drivers fall into the train driver category in terms of 2 chance limit so it appears it does count towards your train driver lives.
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
Well, I have a bit of spanner in the works. I emailed and asked the recruitment email. Apparently it is a 6 month wait to reapply and according to the email the tram drivers fall into the train driver category in terms of 2 chance limit so it appears it does count towards your train driver lives.
Sorry RDJW18. We have conflicting information. Glad you checked in with HR though.
 

RDJW18

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2025
Messages
37
Location
Kent
Sorry RDJW18. We have conflicting information. Glad you checked in with HR though.
No need to apologise don’t be silly. I mean touch wood I pass first time so I don’t have to worry about reapplying. But in the worst case scenario I’ll ask on the day and see what they say. I’m practicing both tests like mad so hopefully I’ll get through.
 

jiggy911

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2026
Messages
9
Location
Slough
No need to apologise don’t be silly. I mean touch wood I pass first time so I don’t have to worry about reapplying. But in the worst case scenario I’ll ask on the day and see what they say. I’m practicing both tests like mad so hopefully I’ll get through.
hey hope u good, have you been invited for a assessment day? if so congrats and good luck! do you know when they are doing them?
 

RDJW18

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2025
Messages
37
Location
Kent
hey hope u good, have you been invited for a assessment day? if so congrats and good luck! do you know when they are doing them?
Hi mate, yes my assessment is just under 2 weeks away. I assume there will more as they have advertised the job again from when I booked my assessment.
 

JI31

New Member
Joined
29 Jan 2026
Messages
4
Location
London
hey guys hope your good, have you had your driving test, interview as of yet - how did you find the experience?
Had my driving test/interview this week, as long as you don’t speed and signal correctly you’ll be fine. There’s a series of questions for the interview, remember Star when answering them
 

RDJW18

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2025
Messages
37
Location
Kent
Had my driving test/interview this week, as long as you don’t speed and signal correctly you’ll be fine. There’s a series of questions for the interview, remember Star when answering them
Hi mate, how long was the driving assessment for ?, would you say the questions were scenario based or “tell me a time when you” type questions ?
 

JI31

New Member
Joined
29 Jan 2026
Messages
4
Location
London
Hi mate, how long was the driving assessment for ?, would you say the questions were scenario based or “tell me a time when you” type questions ?
About 20mins around the depot and the questions were a bit of both, think about safety and have examples ready
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
No need to apologise don’t be silly. I mean touch wood I pass first time so I don’t have to worry about reapplying. But in the worst case scenario I’ll ask on the day and see what they say. I’m practicing both tests like mad so hopefully I’ll get through.
:) im sure your practice will pay off nicely.
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
Yup, 24 for 34 questions. I had enough time to go back and and check a sequence of answers that didn't feel right, but only just...


Friday 6th for me. They said driving assessment in a "large, automatic vehicle". I guess large is a matter of perspective....


Doesn't sound too bad. Did they make you do a walk-around check? When you say "Around the depot", do you mean around the Beddington Cross/Ikea sort of area? I need to brush up on STAR.....
Well done Barry K, you did well to have time remaining to check. I had my driver assessment and interview. It was a good experience. I will hear back within a week.
My driver assessment was borderline pass. Besides his observations, which i appreciated, I had never driven an automatic car, so i felt a bit awkward without a clutch.

The company has a great family spirit. You can see that the drivers are settled and content and had lots of nice chats before the interview.

The interview is 10 questions long. I prepared and got stuck on the last question, but then remembered my experience finally.

Just waiting for feedback. A very good experience all in all. It would be a privilege to work for First Group.

Met one of the trainers and his positivity about training all sorts of people almost brought tears to my eyes. Excellent training attitude and perspective. If im successful, i would feel comfortable to ask lots and lots of questions, they want you to succeed.

Will keep you updated.
 

JI31

New Member
Joined
29 Jan 2026
Messages
4
Location
London
Yup, 24 for 34 questions. I had enough time to go back and and check a sequence of answers that didn't feel right, but only just...


Friday 6th for me. They said driving assessment in a "large, automatic vehicle". I guess large is a matter of perspective....


Doesn't sound too bad. Did they make you do a walk-around check? When you say "Around the depot", do you mean around the Beddington Cross/Ikea sort of area? I need to brush up on STAR....Y

Yup, 24 for 34 questions. I had enough time to go back and and check a sequence of answers that didn't feel right, but only just...


Friday 6th for me. They said driving assessment in a "large, automatic vehicle". I guess large is a matter of perspective....


Doesn't sound too bad. Did they make you do a walk-around check? When you say "Around the depot", do you mean around the Beddington Cross/Ikea sort of area? I need to brush up on STAR.....
You’ll read a car reg from afar then drive around the Beddington area I think it’s a different route each individual
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
What are the next steps after the interview ?
references, medical, DBS check and offer.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Unfortunately I was unsuccessful at interview stage. Just got email this morning. Wishing you all success Barry K.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top