• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comparison of TOCs refusing to pay Delay Repay claims vs persuing fare evaders

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,739
Location
Slade Green
Moderator note: Split from
It's always going to be difficult to claim for this sort of journey, and for a delay of 15-29 mins I doubt it's worth it.

If it was the entire journey, it would be £3.71.

However, Manchester to Broad Green is not much more than a third of the cost of the overall fare held, so the value being disputed is something in the region of £1.25.

The value being argued over is a matter of pence, so it will cost both parties more in the value of their time, than the actual amount in question.

As for those saying the amount isn't worth worrying about, do you think TOCs should let fare evaders off small amounts? If not, why should passengers be expected to let TOCs off small amounts that they owe us? It needn't be a faff; Northern is making it so.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
WCML N
Is that a yes to letting off fare evaders for small amounts, then? :)
Well, no, but I don't think the two things are comparable, other than that they both ultimately have a detrimental impact on railway finances.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm all for delay repay when there has been genuine inconvenience or the TOC has done something incompetent, and as a high mileage Avanti customer, I'm no stranger to making a claim. If Avanti control decide to terminate a train at Preston for the stock and crew convenience, then just try to stop me making a delay repay claim (provided it's of a worthwhile value), but if some ned in Warwickshire decides to take a short cut over the tracks and gets splattered all across the 4 foot, then I wouldn't, because that's not Avanti's fault. They are the victims, just as I am.
This is the stance I take because I want to support the rail network.......and thankfully because I'm not desperate for the money. And if a few more did the same, maybe the network would be a bit better because resource and money could be channeled elsewhere.
 
Last edited:

ikcdab

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
476
Location
Cogload Junction
Well, no, but I don't think the two things are comparable, other than that they both ultimately have a detrimental impact on railway finances.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm all for delay repay when there has been genuine inconvenience or the TOC has done something incompetent, and as a high mileage Avanti customer, I'm no stranger to making a claim. If Avanti control decide to terminate a train at Preston for the stock and crew convenience, then just try to stop me making a delay repay claim (provided it's of a worthwhile value), but if some ned in Warwickshire decides to take a short cut over the tracks and gets splattered all across the 4 foot, then I wouldn't, because that's not Avanti's fault. They are the victims, just as I am.
This is the stance I take because I want to support the rail network.......and thankfully because I'm not desperate for the money. And if a few more did the same, maybe the network would be a bit better because resource and money could be channeled elsewhere.
Do you know how many billions the government throws down the drain without any benefit at all? It is billions a year. Until the government stop wasting money I will claim every penny I am entitled to.
 

Coleridge

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2023
Messages
221
Location
Penarth
I always claim Delay Repay, even if the delay wasn't the fault of the train company, or didn't inconvenience me, or is only for a small amount. It's often the principle, rather than the money: it only takes moments to make a claim, and it costs the company a lot more in time and effort than the amount they pay me.
 

Lemmy99uk

Member
Joined
5 May 2015
Messages
566
Do you know how many billions the government throws down the drain without any benefit at all? It is billions a year. Until the government stop wasting money I will claim every penny I am entitled to.
I’ve no idea. Please tell us.
 

Top