Your fighting a loosing battleErroneous and unnecessary apostrophe's.
I thought using the wrong "it's" was bad enough, but I've also recently seen "itinerary's", "phone's" and, most bewilderingly, "lot's"! It's not even a plural! The mind boggles...
Shouldn't that be... "The mind boggle's"? Oh, wait!The mind boggles...
I find for some unknown reason, the 3rd listed video on that page is always a video with very low views from channels I've never heard of before.Why isn’t that the list of recommended videos to watch next that appears on the right-hand side of YouTube always seems to include ’Have I the Right’ by The Honeycombs? It doesn’t matter what it is: punk, opera, cooking, idiots at work, pop, etc., it is up there.
Often (appropriately in view of your user nameErroneous and unnecessary apostrophe's.
I thought using the wrong "it's" was bad enough, but I've also recently seen "itinerary's", "phone's" and, most bewilderingly, "lot's"! It's not even a plural! The mind boggles...
At one time there was a bus company in Surrey which made it worse by calling themselves "Buses Excetera". I'm not sure if the "ex" part referred to an earlier incarnation, as they seemed to be a rather dubious operation. Now long gone I believe.While we're on the subject of "etcetera", I often see people using "ect." - I assume this abomination stems from people pronouncing the word as "ecsetra".
Not too far from here I saw someone talking about a railway and 'it's termini's'.Erroneous and unnecessary apostrophe's.
I thought using the wrong "it's" was bad enough, but I've also recently seen "itinerary's", "phone's" and, most bewilderingly, "lot's"! It's not even a plural! The mind boggles...
But is that a lack of geographical knowledge or a misunderstanding of the meaning of the word “abroad”? After all, its fossilised meaning of “out and about beyond one’s normal stamping ground” still survives.Maybe the best one I’ve heard is someone thinking the Isle of Wight is abroad.
Yes - and the other commonly-used synonym for 'abroad' is 'overseas'....which is certainly true in the case of the Isle of Wight.But is that a lack of geographical knowledge or a misunderstanding of the meaning of the word “abroad”? After all, its fossilised meaning of “out and about beyond one’s normal stamping ground” still survives.
Indeed - while suddenly coming up with the correct dictionary for what you’re writing may be too much to expect, it shouldn’t be beyond any current spellchecker / text predicter to spot “this isn’t English” and offer to switch itself off.When you are writing an e-mail in a foreign language and the computer decides to change random words in your text either to other similar languages or to English. I am writing in Danish, but odd words get changed to either Swedish (mostly) or Norwegian, while some appear as irrelevant English ones.
At a gym, don't sit on a bit of apparatus while you check your phone, or think meaningful thoughts. Use it or stand up and let someone else use it instead.
Highlighting (literally) potential intruders is only one of their uses, though. Far more useful to help you work out which key is which and stop people tripping over the doorstep.Porch security lights which activate when someone is walking past - on the other side of the street. They must go off so often that a 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome develops.
Poorly aimed insecurity lights are another issue - frequently dazzling the onlooker and thus creating perfect shadow areas for any miscreants to hide in; also presenting a hazard to road traffic if the illuminary is visible to drivers ( I'm pretty sure there is actually a law against having them shine at an angle where they would shine on drivers but I suspect nobody ever bothers to enforce it. )Porch security lights which activate when someone is walking past - on the other side of the street. They must go off so often that a 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome develops.
Far more useful to help you work out which key is which and stop people tripping over the doorstep.
Hardly an issue, - walking along a road car headlights illuminate you, both are incidental to your passing by, (unless you are feeling guilty of a criminal act).True, but they don't have to light me up and make me feel like a criminal as I scuttle past!
I'd add onions to that list.Ready meals where the film lid doesn't peel off as intended
I'd add onions to that list.
Removing the papery skin is a pain the arse.
That's because sometimes onions, being natural plants, mature earlier on one side than another. Thus when peeled, some layers are dry and thin on some edges and still freah and moist on others. A price well worth paying to have naturally grown vegetables.Yeah, as much as i love onions, you end up removing the top layer of the edible part of the onion when you peel it.
A price well worth paying to have naturally grown vegetables.
I'll add: the TV chefs who take a garlic bulb, tap it quickly with palm and magically all cloves obediently fall open.I'd add onions to that list.
Removing the papery skin is a pain the arse.
I used to be nicknamed "Onion" at my school. I thought it was because I had many intellectual layers.They need to develop a genetically-modified easypeel onion......