D6130
Established Member
No..... I've never stepped inside an IKEA either!Am I the only person that's never stepped inside a IKEA?I remember the days of MFI
.
No..... I've never stepped inside an IKEA either!Am I the only person that's never stepped inside a IKEA?I remember the days of MFI
.
They've not been trading since end 2008. Think Woolworths lasted maybe a fortnight or so longer. Neither need banning!I remember the days of MFI.
And me too.Nor me.
Am I the only person that's never stepped inside a IKEA?I remember the days of MFI
.
Where I am the situation of buses on different routes arriving at the same stop simultaneously is quite commonplace. Because of this I'll normally raise my hand with fingers to indicate the route number I want (The major routes here are the 1-3 and 6, which makes this somewhat easier) so I only stop the bus that I actually need.Unfortunately, so many people, both young and old, seem to have lost the knack of doing [Putting ones hand out to hail the bus] and just stand on the kerb waiting. That is, I suppose, fine if you have only one route, but where there are several the driver has to slow down unless the person on the pavement either waves them past or clearly steps back.

Don't they post usage guides at the stops for tourist reference? A poster with a graphic of a raised hand and short texts in multiple languages - Perhaps saying "When your bus approaches, please raise your hand to tell the driver you want to board" - Gets the message across clearly and would fit the typical A4-width timetable holders we have in Hampshire.Lothian Buses in Edinburgh (formerly Edinburgh Corporation Transport) continue, at least within the greater City Centre area, a long and proud tradition of observing every stop relevant to the service regardless of what the passengers, intending or otherwise are doing. This will sometimes require buses to queue up behind other vehicles in order to obtain access to the stop but you will not get a situation where the bus will "run past" the stop because no-one, tourists or locals, knows/can be bothered to have their arm out.
Two things that chav me off about receipts:Those new Costa express machines that don't print receipts. In the grand scheme of things, those receipts probably aren't the most environmentally detrimental uses of receipt papers in the UK. With the £2-3 bus cap, its not long until your pockets become full of these receipts.
That sounds a bit like Deichmann offering a pair of sandals with matching socks named "Frankfurt"It always amuses me that IKEA gives many of the things it sells the names of Swedish places: this sounds exotic to those who don’t know, but can be a bit inappropriate. They have a sofa called Söderhamn: when I lived in Sweden Söderhamn was the town with the country’s worst drug problem.
I think the same can be said for us, too. My interpretation of the UKCA mark is that it means "UK: Combustibility Assured" (See that sketch from the I.T. Crowd with the fireThere was a feeling that the Swedes take themselves just a bit too seriously and aren’t so good at laughing at themselves.
Actually, can we put that on the 'ban' list? It seems like every time I go shopping someone's dreamt up a new way to demonise customers.viewing the customer as a criminal until they're "proven" otherwise
For my part, I have simply taken steps to avoid places which have this system in place. It started happening years ago in central London where I worked. The first time it happened, the self-service checkouts hadn't been configured to always print receipts, so naturally, I didn't have one. I went to the customer service counter behind me, got a refund, explained why (not arsey or anything), and left.Two things that chav me off about receipts:
- As a heavily disadvantaged person who receives absolutely no trust based on appearance, I have to take a receipt for every transaction just to prove that I've made payment for the goods. Now that the culture has flip-sided to viewing the customer as a criminal until they're "proven" otherwise (i.e: Be wealthy, well-dressed and attractive so the security guard just waves you through) the only way I can be sure I won't be treated as a criminal is to obtain documentary evidence.
.- In Sainsburys - And I see signs of Asda and Tesco bringing this in, too - You have to scan your receipt to exit the store, which means you have to obtain a receipt to get out whether you want one or not. A later progression will move this over to a facial recognition basis, but you'll only be able to trust that system if you're fortunate enough not to be branded "ugly" because you don't conform to rich peoples "standards".
Tried to use a new one the other day, and I got the message 'place a regular-sized cup below' the two times I tried to use my reusable cup. I still wanted the coffee, so I reluctantly got one of the single-use cups. I find it ironic that they decided that paper receipts are either bad for the environment or uneconomical, but increasing the rates of single-use coffee cups littered across the countryside and coastline is fine.
Two things that chav me off about receipts:
- As a heavily disadvantaged person who receives absolutely no trust based on appearance, I have to take a receipt for every transaction just to prove that I've made payment for the goods. Now that the culture has flip-sided to viewing the customer as a criminal until they're "proven" otherwise (i.e: Be wealthy, well-dressed and attractive so the security guard just waves you through) the only way I can be sure I won't be treated as a criminal is to obtain documentary evidence.
.- In Sainsburys - And I see signs of Asda and Tesco bringing this in, too - You have to scan your receipt to exit the store, which means you have to obtain a receipt to get out whether you want one or not. A later progression will move this over to a facial recognition basis, but you'll only be able to trust that system if you're fortunate enough not to be branded "ugly" because you don't conform to rich peoples "standards".
Peanut butter truly is the gastro-intestinal effluvium of Beelzebub and his little dog Bingo.
My family is wedded to Meridian crunchy peanut butter. 100% peanuts and natural peanut oil, 0% palm oil.I am literally easitng a peanut butter sandwich right now now. Pip & Nut (99.5% peanut) Smooth peanut butter. On thick crusty bread. I can think of few better snacks.

I'm wedding to whichever 100% crunchy peanut butter is on the best offer. Tend to buy the big tubs.My family is wedded to Meridian crunchy peanut butter. 100% peanuts and natural peanut oil, 0% palm oil.
On sourdough crumpets, life is perfect.![]()
Assuming what you typed is the same as how I'm understanding it, I beg to differ; I practically live on peanuts/peanut butter, and - Being appropriately tactful, here - That part of my body is running so slow it's just been overtaken by a service operated by Amtrak!Peanut butter truly is the gastro-intestinal effluvium of Beelzebub and his little dog Bingo.
I might be able to help out here - Lidl's Maribel Peanut Butter (Available in both crunchy and smooth) is 100% peanuts (No palm or other non-peanut oil) and available in 280g jars (£1,25) or 1kg tubs (£3,99). A bodybuilding neighbour down the road finds it just as good as Pure brand for carb purposes (At much lower cost) and I've found the same in lesser measure (Mainly because I don't get the same peace of mind to focus on bodybuilding that non-disadvantaged folks with partners get).I'm wedding to whichever 100% crunchy peanut butter is on the best offer. Tend to buy the big tubs. Not just for toast, but curries, chicken, smoothies etc - we get through a lot!
Banks used to do this, and are significantly responsible for the way that bank frauds are implemented today as a result. I remember answering my phone years ago and having this, I told them to get lost when they started down the track of asking me to prove who I was. Many people know this now, but then they didn’t. I don’t always get things right but on this one I did.Have we had utility companies who call you up, and then get slightly shirty when you tell them that you're disinclined to provide them with various items of personal data in order that they can "confirm your ID". They rang me! (It was a genuine call, BTW).
I had that with Sky. I'm happy to confirm my name and address, and they obviously have my phone number, but won't give anyone who phones me unexpectedly with any additional information, such as my memorable word. Didn't progress any further. It was a genuine call, but as a matter of policy I won't give anything that isn't in my view public information.Have we had utility companies who call you up, and then get slightly shirty when you tell them that you're disinclined to provide them with various items of personal data in order that they can "confirm your ID". They rang me! (It was a genuine call, BTW).
Or the opposite. Fruits and vegetables which look fabulous but are virtually tasteless. Tomatoes often fail the "taste test".Fruits and vegetables which taste fabulous but look utterly minging.
A lot of that is, sadly, a result of needing to pick and ship them before they are truly ripe.Or the opposite. Fruits and vegetables which look fabulous but are virtually tasteless. Tomatoes often fail the "taste test".
They don't here in Italy!Tomatoes often fail the "taste test".
We live opposite the Isle of Wight's northeast coast and our local shops sell fabulous cherry tomatoes picked fresh from the IoW.Tomatoes often fail the "taste test".
I've never been to an IKEA either, think the nearest one to me is Aintree, which is about 10 miles from my home & involves crossing the Mersey, the next nearest is Warrington.Am I the only person that's never stepped inside a IKEA?I remember the days of MFI
.
I really enjoyed this song and probably sums up why I've never wanted to go there, I'm guessing my nearest one is Wembley about 15 miles away.I've never been to an IKEA either, think the nearest one to me is Aintree, which is about 10 miles from my home & involves crossing the Mersey, the next nearest is Warrington.
Here's an amusing song, I Fear IKEA.
![]()
How do you get out if you have not purchased anything?.
- In Sainsburys - And I see signs of Asda and Tesco bringing this in, too - You have to scan your receipt to exit the store, which means you have to obtain a receipt to get out whether you want one or not. A later progression will move this over to a facial recognition basis, but you'll only be able to trust that system if you're fortunate enough not to be branded "ugly" because you don't conform to rich peoples "standards".