Gloster
Veteran Member
'Decent food' being a very subjective phrase of course.
Indeed. Many years ago I was asked by a young American in Paris where the nearest McDonald’s was as he wanted some ‘real food’.
'Decent food' being a very subjective phrase of course.
Indeed. Many years ago I was asked by a young American in Paris where the nearest McDonald’s was as he wanted some ‘real food’.
Probably pining for a White Castle meal.He should have tried a Wimpy bar. It would have blown his mind !
Probably pining for a White Castle meal.![]()
I worked in Chicago for a month, and when discussing burgers with the locals, (the ninth opened McDonalds was in Des Plaines a suburb of Chicago, which has now been rebuilt as 'McDonalds No1 Store Museum'), a colleague mentioned 'White Castle' burgers and food of the devil, often referred to as 'greaseburgers', and that was a US locals' description. Our team never went to one whilst there, there were too many other novelty eateries. There was a sleazy film 'White Palace' about a waitress working at a burger bar of that name which was a thinly disguised copy of a White Castle establishment. OT but I like to watch the film because it starred Susan Sarandon.Ooh, I've never tried those !
What's that and where's that? The only "White Castle" I've ever heard of is an ancient monument near Llantilio Crosenney (which roughly translates as "the church in the middle of nowhere") over in rural Monmouthshire.Probably pining for a White Castle meal.
Packaged Sandwiches with Mayonnaise, I’m allergic to mayonnaise.
I worked in Chicago for a month, and when discussing burgers with the locals, (the ninth opened McDonalds was in Des Plaines a suburb of Chicago, which has now been rebuilt as 'McDonalds No1 Store Museum'), a colleague mentioned 'White Castle' burgers and food of the devil, often referred to as 'greaseburgers', and that was a US locals' description. Our team never went to one whilst there, there were too many other novelty eateries. There was a sleazy film 'White Palace' about a waitress working at a burger bar of that name which was a thinly disguised copy of a White Castle establishment. OT but I like to watch the film because it starred Susan Sarandon.![]()
Checking in is meaningless these days. It used to mean "here I am at the airport, ready for my flight". Now you can check in from anywhere in the world, days ahead of your flight.Not an irritation, but more amusing.
Where do people vanish to in airport departure lounges?
Currently in Birmingham Airport waiting flight to Innsbruck Austria. For the last half hour there has been multiple calls for last passengers on Air France to Paris, plus Turkish Airlines to Istanbul. These passengers will have checked in. Where do they vanish to?
My wife and I won a prize consisting of a weekend break to Paris including air travel from Gatwick. French air traffic controllers decided to stage a lightning strike on the Friday evening, resulting in an arrival at 1 a.m. Saturday. We were starving and the only eating establishment open was a McDonald's. So it was how my wife ate the one and only Big Mac of her life!Indeed. Many years ago I was asked by a young American in Paris where the nearest McDonald’s was as he wanted some ‘real food’.
Me neither lolCan we add cucumber to that.
I can't stand the stuff.
Or possibly to determine who's going to get "bumped" when the flight has, inevitably, been overbooked.Checking in is meaningless these days. It used to mean "here I am at the airport, ready for my flight". Now you can check in from anywhere in the world, days ahead of your flight.
I assume that the airlines rely on records of who has had their boarding pass scanned at security, rather than who has checked in, to determine who needs chasing up for boarding.
Packaged Sandwiches with Mayonnaise
Can we add cucumber to that.
Prefer to make my own SandwichesTomatoes for me. Aside from not being overly keen on them anyway, I truly hate sandwiches with soggy bread.
Strange isn’t itOn average 5 people a year check in at airports (worldwide that is not just BHX) but never get on a plane or check out, they simply vanish.
Per flight? Per airport? Per calendar year? Per country? The entire world?On average 5 people a year check in at airports (worldwide that is not just BHX) but never get on a plane or check out, they simply vanish.
Can we ban people who confuse the word "exasperate" with "exacerbate"?
I've lost count of the times I've heard even professional TV reporters say things like "Conditions were further exasperated by heavy rain".
I'm sure it was somewhat exasperating to be caught in the heavy rain, but that's not how English works. Don't think I've ever heard it the other way round though.
I don't mind spaghetti; I make sure that I'm not wearing anything white, though, as it's guaranteed to end up getting sauce splashes!Spaghetti. Not pasta, just spaghetti.
Impossible to eat without slurping and covering your shirt with Bolognese Sauce.
Note: Other sauces are available.
Spaghetti. Not pasta, just spaghetti.
Impossible to eat without slurping and covering your shirt with Bolognese Sauce.
Note: Other sauces are available.

That's why most Italians tuck their large serviettes/table napkins into the front of their collars while eating spaghetti dishes.Spaghetti. Not pasta, just spaghetti.
Impossible to eat without slurping and covering your shirt with Bolognese Sauce.
Fusilli or Spiralli....depending on which way round they're twisted.I'm into twists at the moment
That's why most Italians tuck their large serviettes/table napkins into the front of their collars while eating spaghetti dishes.
Fusilli or Spiralli....depending on which way round they're twisted.
Agreed!However they're described, they catch the flavour so much better !