• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
British GrASp yet again asking me about my ‘experience’ during my recent ‘billing experience’. Not only does it sound like something illegal involving a duck, but all I got was annoyance for having to spend over an hour telling them for a third time that the meter number is still the same.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
British GrASp yet again asking me about my ‘experience’ during my recent ‘billing experience’. Not only does it sound like something illegal involving a duck, but all I got was annoyance for having to spend over an hour telling them for a third time that the meter number is still the same.
Just tell them if it's an experience they're after, Jimi Hendrix is their man, and they should re-direct your bill to him. ;)
 

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
WCML N
A topical one......
Anyone wearing a lanyard in public in Edinburgh during the month of August should be detained immediately and not released until the end of the Festival.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,207
Location
Liverpool
Something else I wish that I could ban: the misuse of the word "underrated". I don't know if it's just me but it seems like these days people will look at some of the most critically acclaimed media products and be like "this is/was so god darn underrated" despite a 95% Rotten Tomatoes approval rating and multiple awards. I'm not referring to any one product in particular, but it grinds my gears when people mistake something not being talked about in their social circle as being underrated. The cynic in me even wants to believe some people say it just because they like sounding unique and special because liking something popular is bad or something.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
I want to ban locations where there is no obvious walking route between the car park and the location it serves.

I had such an experience at Manchester Airport Terminal 1 Pick-Up yesterday. Paths that lead to dead-ends, marked crossings leading to nothing. Totally poor design. Not only annoying, but hazardous.
 

Silenos

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2022
Messages
308
Location
Norfolk
1. Reality TV and anyone who became famous by starring on it. Yes, this includes Strictly Come Dancing and Great British Bake-Off.
2. Companies who describe changes that are obviously for their own benefit, like closing half their branches or forcing payment to be made online or through a particular app, as ‘improving the customer experience’ or ‘for your convenience’.
3. Politicians who are unable to answer any question, even ‘Would you like a cup of tea?’ with a simple yes or no. A one-word answer to some of the inane questions would get my vote.
4. TV interviewers who put words in people’s mouths or interject their own opinions, rather than actually listening (Krishnan Gurumurthy is a particular offender).
5. GB News. Lock them up.
6. Clickbait articles on local news websites that say things like ‘You won’t believe how [insert name of Z-list celebrity] looks now’ or ‘Doctors implore residents of [insert name of your town] to do this one simple thing before bedtime’. No, we really don’t.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,344
Location
Herts
Radio 4 - overexited screaming announcers on the latest developments on football . Massive turnoff to say the very least.
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
The National Health Service (NHS).
Firstly let me say I have the utmost respect for the NHS but sometimes I want to bang my head against the wall.

I have extremely painful feet. Approximately 9 months ago I had an hospital appointment with a Podiatrist. She gave my feet a thorough examination and said she would refer me to an Orthotist for supportive insoles for my shoes. Excellent.

I thought I’d been forgotten about but last week I received an appointment. I went today.

Sat down with the Orthotist and the first words she said was ‘What can I do for you. What’s the problem?’ Despite it being in the same hospital she had no information at all of my previous consultation. I had to go through the whole process again. It was an initial consultation over again.

I’ve now got to wait for another appointment (and probably another appointment) to hopefully be measured up for insoles. Not holding my breath.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Can we ban Travelodge from showing clickbait adverts on your social media feeds saying "..thousands of rooms all over the UK for £38 per night..."

Of course when you click on the link provided it just takes you straight to the normal booking page, with no hint about where and when rooms for £38 per night might be available.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Can we ban Travelodge from showing clickbait adverts on your social media feeds saying "..thousands of rooms all over the UK for £38 per night..."

Of course when you click on the link provided it just takes you straight to the normal booking page, with no hint about where and when rooms for £38 per night might be available.
Who would want to travel to somewhere in the UK because a Travelodge room is a few pounds cheaper?
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Who would want to travel to somewhere in the UK because a Travelodge room is a few pounds cheaper?

It depends on exactly where and when.

£38 is considerably cheaper than the usual rate at most Travelodges, and such a discount would make a short trip worthwile.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Some people will definitely tailor their trip (especially a leisure trip) in order to stay at a cheaper hotel.
Then as there's no such thing as a universally bearable place if the cost is low enough, it's better that the advert defaults to showing the full range of availability and prices.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,445
Can we ban Travelodge from showing clickbait adverts on your social media feeds saying "..thousands of rooms all over the UK for £38 per night..."

Of course when you click on the link provided it just takes you straight to the normal booking page, with no hint about where and when rooms for £38 per night might be available.
I'm struggling to turn this into comedy gold, but if you search on HotUKDeals https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=travelodge you can find people who highlight good deals. They have a thread with a Google Document with nights in a Travelodges near an airport for £35 or less.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Reference numbers on letters or documents that include a long series of identical digits, usually zeros. You spend as much time checking that you have got the correct number in the reference as on the rest of the letter. But if you don’t get it exactly right, they can’t deal with the matter. (No, they are not going to match up the name and address with a reference number that only needs one digit added. And ne’er an apology if they make the mistake and waste your time.)
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
Chefs who serve fish with the heads still attached,cant stand the sight of those reproachful bluey green eyes !
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,459
Location
Stevenage
Chefs who serve fish with the heads still attached,cant stand the sight of those reproachful bluey green eyes !
Had this in a works canteen once:
First was trout with heads, complaints as above.
Second was trout without heads, complaints that the fish spread open and were awkward to eat.
Third was trout with heads, but those heads covered by watercress. Everybody happy.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
Had this in a works canteen once:
First was trout with heads, complaints as above.
Second was trout without heads, complaints that the fish spread open and were awkward to eat.
Third was trout with heads, but those heads covered by watercress. Everybody happy.
My one year in Oxford saw trout quite often for the evening meal, I used to attend the second "formal" sitting because my friends did also, we always knew when it was trout because the first sitting ran late, it appeared to take longer to serve and eat than other meals. However I am happy to eat it with or without heads, it makes no difference to me.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Had this in a works canteen once:
First was trout with heads, complaints as above.
Second was trout without heads, complaints that the fish spread open and were awkward to eat.
Third was trout with heads, but those heads covered by watercress. Everybody happy.
It's a shame that so many don't see what they eat and know where it comes from, not only might we get better food, but also some of the abominable ultra processed food might get turned down before it is bought.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
Can I ban 333s turning up on my train when I'd rather be sitting on a 331?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
It's a shame that so many don't see what they eat and know where it comes from, not only might we get better food, but also some of the abominable ultra processed food might get turned down before it is bought.

I'd be happy with a decent canteen with decent food for a good price !

I was lucky, my office used to be next door to the student canteen which did some decent grub.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
I'd be happy with a decent canteen with decent food for a good price !

I was lucky, my office used to be next door to the student canteen which did some decent grub.
'Decent food' being a very subjective phrase of course.
 

Top