• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Mat17

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2019
Messages
962
Location
Barnsley
My favourite Christmas no1 for the past few years has been ‘Killing in the name’ by Rage Against The Machine.
I do find this one rather festive 8-)
I believe I helped this get to number 1 that year too. :) Anything to stop Simon Cowell.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,846
Location
Nowhere Heath
The Asda christmas ads are particularly annoying this year. They've been as busy as elves this Christmas preparing their creamy baked camembert wreath, perfect for tearing, sharing, dipping and dunking, don't you know!

I shouldn't find that post as funny as I did, but it has me laughing. My most hated one right now in there has to be that bit from Elf where he screams "Oh my God!" really loudly then followed after a silly bit of music by a sheepish "I know him" :rolleyes:

Never mind the fact it's all been going on for weeks as it is! I'm already sick of the festive period! What surprises me is how much Elf stuff people buy, I don't see the attraction in it all myself.

Bring on January I say, it can't come fast enough.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,904
Can I ban people who complain about hearing Christmas music in the run up to Christmas?
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Can I ban people who complain about hearing Christmas music in the run up to Christmas?

It depends what you mean by the "..run up to Christmas..".

These days it seems to start in September.

There was an article in the paper today about Noddy Holder and Slade still receiving about £500,000 per year in royalties for Merry Christmas Everybody.
 

52290

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2015
Messages
732
My favourite piece of Christmas music is Bethlehem Down by Peter Warlock but I've never heard it being played in a shop or supermarket.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
The only bit of seasonal music that I don’t mind is ‘O Christmas Tree’. Mainly because, while everybody else is singing of their affection for a bit of timber, I am singing ‘The people’s flag is deepest red...’
 

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
The BBC talking about Messi. The way they’re talking, the other 10 Argentinian players may as well leave the pitch and leave it all to Messi.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Can we ban Amazon from trying to make everyone take out a subscription to Amazon Prime every time you order something

I placed an order this evening, and clicked the button which said Order Without Prime

Then it came back with a notice saying We're giving you a free trial of Amazon Prime

I've already said I don't want <expletive> Amazon Prime - what part of the word No don't you understand? <(
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
Can we ban Amazon from trying to make everyone take out a subscription to Amazon Prime every time you order something

I placed an order this evening, and clicked the button which said Order Without Prime

Then it came back with a notice saying We're giving you a free trial of Amazon Prime

I've already said I don't want <expletive> Amazon Prime - what part of the word No don't you understand? <(

I had that too this evening. What a pain. The first time I'd used Amazon in a year. I had to look very hard to find the small I DON'T WANT PRIME. It wasn't an urgent order and eventually opted for 5 day free delivery.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,045
Can we ban Amazon from trying to make everyone take out a subscription to Amazon Prime every time you order something

I placed an order this evening, and clicked the button which said Order Without Prime

Then it came back with a notice saying We're giving you a free trial of Amazon Prime

I've already said I don't want <expletive> Amazon Prime - what part of the word No don't you understand? <(
They caught me out like that around 18 months ago, except that I didn't get any obvious notification that the unwanted free trial had started. Consequently I only found out about it when the payment for the first non-free month appeared on my card statement - by which time the second payment had been taken too.

I immediately shut down the Prime account, then soon afterwards shut my entire Amazon account down, and I haven't used them since. I'm sure Bezos hasn't noticed, but at least I'm not contributing directly to his tax dodging, environment destroying empire.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,846
Location
Nowhere Heath
There's a simple answer to that....just don't order anything from Amazon - especially as they are avoiding payment of Corporation Tax here.

Quite right. I refuse to buy anything from Amazon, often it's the main place online to buy something but that just means I'll find an actual shop and buy it there instead. The more people stopped using Amazon, the sooner things will improve!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,835
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Quite right. I refuse to buy anything from Amazon, often it's the main place online to buy something but that just means I'll find an actual shop and buy it there instead. The more people stopped using Amazon, the sooner things will improve!

I will stop using Amazon when other businesses selling stuff online stop using Hermes to "deliver" it. I am happy to pay more for Royal Mail or DPD - just let me and Amazon can go in the bin! Until then, nope.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,846
Location
Nowhere Heath
I will stop using Amazon when other businesses selling stuff online stop using Hermes to "deliver" it. I am happy to pay more for Royal Mail or DPD - just let me and Amazon can go in the bin! Until then, nope.

Ah yes, that's fair enough. I don't get why businesses don't offer a few options, so customers who've had bad experiences with say Hermes can choose DPD instead or whatever.

I have had reasonably decent luck with Hermes deliveries here, but on average I have maybe 5 parcels a year, if not less. My last one was from Bulk.com if I remember correctly, although I haven't a clue who delivered it. I *think* Royal Mail deliver the majority of my parcels, if not all of them. I've had Hermes deliveries in the past, as Nuzest use (or used, it might have changed) them.

Absolutely prefer shopping in person whenever possible, it's always a better experience!
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
The BBC talking about Messi. The way they’re talking, the other 10 Argentinian players may as well leave the pitch and leave it all to Messi.

With my interest in football -- and all other sports -- being zero: I had literally never heard of this guy, before last night. With that being his name; I can't help wondering whether he is a prodigious footballer, but a total slob in other departments of life :s.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I will stop using Amazon when other businesses selling stuff online stop using Hermes to "deliver" it. I am happy to pay more for Royal Mail or DPD - just let me and Amazon can go in the bin! Until then, nope.

I use Amazon because they have installed a collection locker in the petrol station next to my block of flats, and for some things it is more convenient that traipsing all the way into the city centre and trying to find a shop that has what you want in stock. It also means you don't have to wait in all day for it to be delivered.

As for Royal Mail at the moment.....best not to go there.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,318
The BBC talking about Messi. The way they’re talking, the other 10 Argentinian players may as well leave the pitch and leave it all to Messi.

With my interest in football -- and all other sports -- being zero: I had literally never heard of this guy, before last night. With that being his name; I can't help wondering whether he is a prodigious footballer, but a total slob in other departments of life :s.

To be fair, whilst the afore-mentioned Lionel Messi (playing in his 1,000th top flight match) was Argentina's opening goalscorer in last night's 2-1 World Cup match win against Australia, it was their second goal that might be described aa having been somewhat "messy".

As for "comedic things that you would ban", might I nominate / re-nominate TV "celebrities" who apparently only seem to be famous (in certain quarters!) for being famous? As for me, I've scarcely even heard of any of the lot of them.
 

Mat17

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2019
Messages
962
Location
Barnsley
Can we ban Amazon from trying to make everyone take out a subscription to Amazon Prime every time you order something

I placed an order this evening, and clicked the button which said Order Without Prime

Then it came back with a notice saying We're giving you a free trial of Amazon Prime

I've already said I don't want <expletive> Amazon Prime - what part of the word No don't you understand? <(

I stopped using Amazon about two years ago for the exact same reason. I use eBay or the high street instead, it might sometimes be dearer but I'm more than willing to pay more to avoid Amazon Prime and all the subtle (and not so subtle) ways that they make subscription the default option on every order.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,434
Location
Yorks
People shouting and holloring in pubs.

We know your missus probably only lets you out on your own once a year, but please try and remember - other people have eardrums too !
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,352
I had that too this evening. What a pain. The first time I'd used Amazon in a year. I had to look very hard to find the small I DON'T WANT PRIME. It wasn't an urgent order and eventually opted for 5 day free delivery.
Even worse - if you decline "free" delivery, they only seem to offer "premium delivery" costing over £3 per item, not the "standard delivery" charge you can usually get from Amazon "agents" (usually £1.26 per small item).
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
Football commentators wetting their knickers every time Messi does something quite ordinary !
 

htafc

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
365
Location
West Yorkshire
I would ban Mcdonald's adverts or at least restrict them. It's like on some radio stations and TV channels almost every ad break contains one advert for them, they sound desperate to advertise. Most overrated company in the world in my opinion.
I would like to propose the banning of McDonalds itself, and other such establishments.
There's a simple answer to that....just don't order anything from Amazon - especially as they are avoiding payment of Corporation Tax here.
Here here. I boycott them.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,434
Location
Yorks
People not closing train doors behind them on a cold winters day. This seems to be a problem on modern stock as one used to close the door behind oneself as a reflex action on the slam door trains.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I would like to propose the banning of McDonalds itself, and other such establishments.
I'm partial to the occasional Maccy's, but I don't think I'd actually miss it much if it didn't exist...

The food outlet I absolutely would ban though, is Greggs. They've chosen the "Starbucks" method of opening loads of outlets in a small area to crowd out competition despite being the worst chain bakery in existence. Their sandwiches are rubbish and their pastries are always cold, yet they seem to have garnered a cult status through their marketing without doing anything to earn it. Primark even have a load of Greggs-branded merch on sale, which in my book is a step too far in the direction of self-referential irony. Get in the sea.

Can we also ban (and purge) whoever came up with the idea of the countdown thing they've been doing with the kick-offs at the World Cup? If I cringed any harder I'd turn myself inside out!
 

Top