• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
What about people like me who use four full stops to indicate a pause in a sentence....followed by a related question or a related statement?

That's different, that's actually quite acceptable. It's a much more complete thought than just ending the whole thing...

(The end of my response there, without completing it, is kind of what I mean)

Well if nothing else it shows you've been reading my posts...
:D

I actually don't know who it is that ends their posts with triple full stops on a regular basis! I saw someone doing it on a post earlier, and it really annoyed me. It's been going to get added to the list of things to ban for a long time, but it's finally there.

A much more light-hearted 'ban':

Wanting to find the thread that counter-balanced this one with things you like, but can't remember what the thread title was, so have not contributed to the thread for a long time.

If anyone has the link to the thread, then please do let me know :)

@Western Sunset Be grateful I am not ruling this land then! Although if that's what the triple full stop thing is called then that's good to know. Not that I'll remember when I want to!
 

Loppylugs

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2020
Messages
472
Location
In the doghouse
Went into our local Aldi's today, can't say I go very often, but couldn't fail to notice how many things were dumped in odd places. By that I mean shoppers have obviously decided to ditch things they had in their trolleys anywhere after a change of heart. Worst one was a fluffy toy giraffe amongst the veg. Pure laziness as I dumped my cucumber in the ice-cream department!!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,049
Location
Up the creek
Went into our local Aldi's today, can't say I go very often, but couldn't fail to notice how many things were dumped in odd places. By that I mean shoppers have obviously decided to ditch things they had in their trolleys anywhere after a change of heart. Worst one was a fluffy toy giraffe amongst the veg. Pure laziness as I dumped my cucumber in the ice-cream department!!

Worst are those who buy something like an egg sandwich and leave it in the soft furnishings. They should be… (Three dots: two could a typo and four is overdoing it.)
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
What about people like me who use four full stops to indicate a pause in a sentence....followed by a related question or a related statement?
Anything other than three dots, especially when not followed by a space, is what I've dubbed the "Trumpian ellipsis" on account of the former POTUS's fondness for them in his Presidential tweets.

Must admit I'm guilty of using an ellipsis at the end of a statement, not really sure why as I'm normally a stickler for correct or near-correct punctuation. Perhaps it's because sometimes a full-stop seems rather abrupt and rude these days...






Sorry!
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Adverts at the start of videos are bearable, it's the mid video adverts which pop up at awkward times which are rather annoying.
I tend to watch you tube videos on a smart TV. It's annoying when mid-video ads finish leaving the cache empty as it takes a couple of back steps to relaod the cache.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Wanting to find the thread that counter-balanced this one with things you like, but can't remember what the thread title was, so have not contributed to the thread for a long time.

If anyone has the link to the thread, then please do let me know :)

I'm a "dinosaur", and very largely a moron with computers: attempts at linking, never seem to work for me. Thus, "laborious" directions to that thread: it would appear to be at present, on page 47 of "General Discussion". Title, Comedic "things you like", i.e. things that please you in a lighthearted way. OP was 17/8/2021. Using the "search" facility for the word "Subalterns", should rapidly home you in on the thread: a post on same, features seemingly the one and only incidence to date, of that word on the Forums.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,308
Using the "search" facility for the word "Subalterns", should rapidly home you in on the thread: a post on same, features seemingly the one and only incidence to date, of that word on the Forums.
The word "Subaltern" (in the singular) has, however, appeared in the forum on a handful more occasions, and, of course, the one more time just now. ;)
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I only ever watch Youtube on my laptop using Chrome browser, with adblock installed (Ublock Origin is my go to adblock) Youtube is unwatchable otherwise.
I have adblock installed on my laptop also. I couldn't watch YouTube otherwise.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm a "dinosaur", and very largely a moron with computers: attempts at linking, never seem to work for me. Thus, "laborious" directions to that thread: it would appear to be at present, on page 47 of "General Discussion". Title, Comedic "things you like", i.e. things that please you in a lighthearted way. OP was 17/8/2021. Using the "search" facility for the word "Subalterns", should rapidly home you in on the thread: a post on same, features seemingly the one and only incidence to date, of that word on the Forums.

Thanks! I'll try to post on that tomorrow, I'm surprised it was that long ago since the thread was made!

I have adblock installed on my laptop also. I couldn't watch YouTube otherwise.

I usually watch YouTube on my smart TV, and the ads do get stupid at times. When I last used YouTube on my MacBook, it was just ridiculous with the same ads on a brutal campaign that was so frequent and annoying that it put me off the product for a good while!

I will absolutely be looking for an ad-blocker for the MacBook, and potentially my smartphone too!
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
Kent
I usually watch YouTube on my smart TV, and the ads do get stupid at times.
One that saves time on most ads - going to the report button (3 dots / flag as I can't remember) and then there's an option to return to video, very helpful if you don't want to wait to skip ads.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,484
Location
Exile or exile
I haven't tried Flixbus, as National Express are my go-to for coaches. However I've seen a few videos on YouTube and they are a curiosity for me. One day I'll try them, and of course there will inevitably be a trip report covering that.

Not that I have much clue where they operate in the UK, but that is something I can easily research. I think there's routes like Manchester to Glasgow for example, which have the potential to be interesting.

Anyway, an item for the list:

People who use triple full stops at the end of a sentence, usually to indicate there's more to say or some such...

...however they don't normally do so and it's very annoying! It makes one want to reach through the screen and slap them with a wet fish!
Guilty as charged...
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
I watch a lot of YouTube videos. Yes adverts can be a little annoying at times, but the way I look at it is, if you don’t like it , don’t watch it. Most adverts are fairly short, many can be skipped after a few seconds, so I just live with it.

Isn’t YouTube ad free if you take out a subscription?
 
Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Isn’t YouTube ad free if you take out a subscription?
YouTube Premium: then the only ads you get are the occasional 'sponsorship' ones that are contained within the content of a very few videos, usually American ones.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,690
Location
Solihull
YouTube Premium: then the only ads you get are the occasional 'sponsorship' ones that are contained within the content of a very few videos, usually American ones.
Depending on the kind of videos you watch not a "few", every other video seems sponsored by the likes of Surfshark and Huel these days.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Depending on the kind of videos you watch not a "few", every other video seems sponsored by the likes of Surfshark and Huel these days.

I don't think I've ever seen a sponsored video with Huel, I'd not mind that so much as I like Huel's shakes. I must actually look at what else they do one day, come to think of it.

Surfshark has taken over from NordVPN as a favourite for sponsors, ExpressVPN is still popping up now and again too.
 

Top