• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Combination season's east croydon to st pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ticket Man

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2009
Messages
297
Location
The Concrete Box
Hi everyone

I've got a season ticket from East Croydon to St Pancras routed "NOT UNDERGROUND"and I also have a monthly zone 1-3 oyster. Is it valid for me to get a train from East Croydon to Victoria and use the underground to St Pancras. A guard stopped me a few weeks back and said that I was off route but I was under the impression you could combine seasons if one of them was a travel card
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
You can use two or more seasons for one journey provided that together they cover the entire journey AND either, they are both zonal or the train stops where the tickets change over.

In my view, if the East Croydon (ECR) to St Pancras (STP) ticket is valid as far as Clapham Junction, provided the train stops there, the zonal ticket would be valid from that point onward. I can't think of a reason why it would not be valid to Clapham (and from there to London Bridge via Waterloo) off the top of my head.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
This was covered fairly recently here. The consensus seemed to be that the ticket allows you to go to a London Terminal and then you're on your own to travel on, as 'NOT Undergound' is not a routeing (see here) but a ticket restriction. So you can probably travel to Victoria and then use your oyster ticket to get to St Pancras. There were, however, some who disagreed and I can understand their argument: it is an interpretation that the 'NOT UNDERGROUND' ticket, by preventing you using the underground, is also preventing you from using routes which (if completed by train) would demand that you use the underground.

--
edit


Ah yes, HHF is correct - I didn't notice the bit about the travelcard. Yes, the ticket is definitely valid to Clapham Junction, and then your Travelcard on your Oyster Card would kick in. However, the above description should also make it valid on services that don't stop at Clapham J.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
I can not see a problem with it!

Aslong as you touch in at the point you go off your seasons route - then you should be fine as in affect you are finishing short!
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic! You are supposed to touch in even with a TC - discussed at length in a recent thread. Of course hardly anyone does, and there's no penalty for not doing.
However the requirement to touch in is only at the start of the journey. I'd argue that the journey starts at East Croydon and that there's nowhere to touch in on a 1-3 Travelcard there without being charged, so you don't need to.
 
Joined
6 Jan 2011
Messages
91
Interesting question, not sure myself.
It comes down to the validity of the ECR-STP ticket on the 'via' Clapham Junction, Waterloo, Waterloo East, London Bridge to St Pancras route.
The ticket is a point to point ticket and not a London Terminals or a zonal ticket.
I am interested to hear the outcome as I was always of the opinion that the split point for validity on specific London Bridge/London Victoria tickets was at East Croydon.
Time to do some digging :D
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
Interesting question, not sure myself.
It comes down to the validity of the ECR-STP ticket on the 'via' Clapham Junction, Waterloo, Waterloo East, London Bridge to St Pancras route.

Valid to Clapham Junction via map LB:

Croydon Group to Streatham Group via Selhurst, to Clapham Junction to Waterloo -> Waterloo East, to London Bridge to Blackfriars to St Pancras.

I suspect your guard believes that "NOT UNDERGROUND" means FCC Thameslink services, and hence his misunderstanding.
 
Joined
15 Aug 2010
Messages
143
To be honest as a former guard on Southern, i think he probably forgot about the clapham to waterloo routing and probably thought you were going to try and use the season ticket at Victoria.
I remember plenty of times being at Victoria and passengers trying to use the St Pancras Not Underground ticket through the barriers only for them to be rejected and informed that they either go back to east croydon and catch a fcc train as they should have done or just be sold an extension to victoria, amazing not many fancied the option of going back to East Croydon.
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
To be honest as a former guard on Southern, i think he probably forgot about the clapham to waterloo routing and probably thought you were going to try and use the season ticket at Victoria.
I remember plenty of times being at Victoria and passengers trying to use the St Pancras Not Underground ticket through the barriers only for them to be rejected and informed that they either go back to east croydon and catch a fcc train as they should have done or just be sold an extension to victoria, amazing not many fancied the option of going back to East Croydon.

But surely you should have told them to go back to Clapham Junction as per the discussion above ?
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
I've got a season ticket from East Croydon to St Pancras routed "NOT UNDERGROUND"and I also have a monthly zone 1-3 oyster.

A little off topic, but why do you have that combination rather than a zone 1-6 travelcard?
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
That's a good point, I was thinking why have a ticket to St Pancras, when Victoria is cheaper.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
That's a good point, I was thinking why have a ticket to St Pancras, when Victoria is cheaper.

Can't check prices just now but I guess it's cheaper to use this combination if normally travelling to the City on Thameslink. St Pancras is cheaper than London Terminals on Thameslink IIRC. Bit suprising if this is the case as I'd not expect 2 tickets with so much overlap to be cheaper.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,825
Location
Back office
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic! You are supposed to touch in even with a TC - discussed at length in a recent thread. Of course hardly anyone does, and there's no penalty for not doing.


Who says there's no penalty for not doing so? If someone is caught without a ticket then it's shown that the person has consistently had a lot of incomplete journeys previously, it certainly wouldn't be overlooked.

 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Who says there's no penalty for not doing so? If someone is caught without a ticket then it's shown that the person has consistently had a lot of incomplete journeys previously, it certainly wouldn't be overlooked.


Oh dear - I didn't mean to start this topic off again! I meant that there is no routine penalty (though of course one could be introduced) for not touching in with a TC, like there is with PAYG.

Certainly, a history of incomplete journeys could be used as evidence of repeated dodging if someone's caught with no ticket (especially if the journey involved is the same one).
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
Who says there's no penalty for not doing so? If someone is caught without a ticket then it's shown that the person has consistently had a lot of incomplete journeys previously, it certainly wouldn't be overlooked.


How do you touch in on a fast East Croydon to Victoria train, which the OP is entitled to use without leaving the train, with his combination of tickets?

Or are you saying that the media a ticket is on affects its validity? I don't see that in the NRCOC.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Or are you saying that the media a ticket is on affects its validity? I don't see that in the NRCOC.

This is the crux of the argument I believe. I suppose it depends on whose product the Travelcard is - if it's TfL's then do the NR CoC still apply, or is it TfL's? I would think that for a journey on National Rail, it should be the NRCoC. But Oyster is a TfL product (if product is the right word).

I think my brain is melting a bit :shock:
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,825
Location
Back office
How do you touch in on a fast East Croydon to Victoria train, which the OP is entitled to use without leaving the train, with his combination of tickets?

Or are you saying that the media a ticket is on affects its validity? I don't see that in the NRCOC.

If you're using an Oyster Card then the TfL CoC takes precedence over the NRCoC, where there is a conflict. You may wish to re-read Conditions 1c and 9 of the NRCoC. It's also stated here.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
So the answer seems to be to get out at CLJ, walk through to the exit or the LO platform, touch in, walk back, get back on the train.

Of course, the alternative would be to get a paper travelcard ;)

(Or do as 90% of Oyster TC holders do, and don't worry about touching in or out).
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic! You are supposed to touch in even with a TC - discussed at length in a recent thread. Of course hardly anyone does, and there's no penalty for not doing.

Who says there's no penalty for not doing so? If someone is caught without a ticket then it's shown that the person has consistently had a lot of incomplete journeys previously, it certainly wouldn't be overlooked.

Well I'd like to see where in the TfL CoC it describes what the penalty is for not touching in or out while in the zones covered by a stored travelcard. If you are travelling with an Oyster card with a travelcard stored on it within the zones covered by that travelcard then you are hardly travelling without a ticket. As far as I know, the only place where you have to touch in with a valid travelcard is when boarding a bus. Oh, and if you board a tram and want to exit at Wimbledon without acquiring an incomplete rail journey, of course.
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
So it looks like the conclusion is that you have less rights with an Oyster issued ticket than a paper ticket;

brilliant!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top