• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

47286Dan

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2018
Messages
2,217
Hello @47286Dan , Any chance of an updated list for the 93s please ?.
(before I invest in a return to Crewe !).
Your lucky, I’m just about to leave work :D

Not a lot of change as been no 93 movements

93001 GROG GRESTYBGE GRESTYBGE F N
93002 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD V N
93003 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93004 GROG CREWE SYD GRESTYBGE N
93005 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93006 GROG GRESTYBGE GRESTYBGE F N
93007 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD V N
93008 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93009 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93010 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N

Dan
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,779
Location
Croydon
Your lucky, I’m just about to leave work :D

Not a lot of change as been no 93 movements

93001 GROG GRESTYBGE GRESTYBGE F N
93002 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD V N
93003 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93004 GROG CREWE SYD GRESTYBGE N
93005 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93006 GROG GRESTYBGE GRESTYBGE F N
93007 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD V N
93008 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93009 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N
93010 GROG CREWE SYD CREWE SYD F N

Dan
Thanks @47286Dan much appreciated. I think I will risk it then (suffering from the law of diminishing returns !).

Yes it is going quiet on the 93 front after a busy week last week.
 

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
3,351
Location
Crewe
Thanks @47286Dan much appreciated. I think I will risk it then (suffering from the law of diminishing returns !).

Yes it is going quiet on the 93 front after a busy week last week.
Best chance of viewing South Yard is getting the train to/from Nantwich, you might get lucky with 1 through the trees if coming to/from Stafford but totally depends where they are parked. Below is an image from back in May I got from a train.
IMG_7318.JPG
 
Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,779
Location
Croydon
Best chance of viewing South Yard is getting the train to/from Nantwich, you might get lucky with 1 through the trees if coming to/from Stafford but totally depends where they are parked. Below is an image from back in May I got from a train.
View attachment 212862
Thanks Rhys. That is very much the sort of picture I got of three 197s parked there back in March !. Too far away to id unfortunately. It is an amazingly large area of sidings really that is almost totally hidden.

Time before last I got a very clear but short view of a 93 through a gap in the trees near the footbridge to/from Crewe Carriage shed (so not public by the way). Train I was on from Euston was a bit quick and I did not have my camera ready !. Last time passing I never saw the gap even though I had my camera ready.
 

Roger B

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2018
Messages
1,286
Location
Gatley
Best chance of viewing South Yard is getting the train to/from Nantwich, you might get lucky with 1 through the trees if coming to/from Stafford but totally depends where they are parked. Below is an image from back in May I got from a train.
View attachment 212862
What a fab shot. At least four in view - tho according to the TOPS report there are seven there - so where are the others? Are there really another three hidden behond the ones in the shot?
 

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
3,351
Location
Crewe
What a fab shot. At least four in view - tho according to the TOPS report there are seven there - so where are the others? Are there really another three hidden behond the ones in the shot?
The photo in my post is from May, the TOPS list doesn't reflect the image. From my notes the 4 in the picture were 93003 93005 93006 93009. All the others were at Gresty Bridge AFAIK.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,779
Location
Croydon
The photo in my post is from May, the TOPS list doesn't reflect the image. From my notes the 4 in the picture were 93003 93005 93006 93009. All the others were at Gresty Bridge AFAIK.
Usually is six at Gresty Bridge is my gut feeling.
It is what I have seen there despite what the system(s) say (tbf usually told one is hiding in the shed, so personally five eyeballed). Only time I did not see anywhere near six was when five 93s were out and about !.

Also known that they get miss reported Crewe Gresty Bridge vs Crewe South Yard. Either due to a very local move or because the path they came to Crewe on was not followed right to the end - it seems to be a subtle difference just after the reversal out of Crewe station !.

I must say that right now I am wondering if seven are a South Yard, probably more than just four though !.
(last Sunday only three were visible at Gresty Bridge, 93001, 93004 and 93006)
 

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
245
Location
Manchester
I walked past a few days ago and there were around 4 in a similar position to the previous picture, some 197’s next to them and then a couple more 93’s next to those. So they wouldn’t be seen from the West Coast, but possibly the Nantwich, just.
 

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
3,351
Location
Crewe
Usually is six at Gresty Bridge is my gut feeling.
It is what I have seen there despite what the system(s) say (tbf usually told one is hiding in the shed, so personally five eyeballed). Only time I did not see anywhere near six was when five 93s were out and about !.

Also known that they get miss reported Crewe Gresty Bridge vs Crewe South Yard. Either due to a very local move or because the path they came to Crewe on was not followed right to the end - it seems to be a subtle difference just after the reversal out of Crewe station !.

I must say that right now I am wondering if seven are a South Yard, probably more than just four though !.
(last Sunday only three were visible at Gresty Bridge, 93001, 93004 and 93006)
Whenever I drive past Gresty Bridge there is usually 2 or 3 visible at the top of the access road but again totally depends on your luck on the day! Again if going between Nantwich/Crewe you might get a view of some on Gresty Bridge but again depends where they are parked. I was glad to clear them off a few months ago given where they are usually stabled as it is very painful to view both places and get everything.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

@Peter Sarf Here is a good example of what you mentioned, running today 7th October, origin was South Yard but scheduled to terminate at Gresty Bridge, if this actually happens we'll have to wait and see.
93002 + 93007
0B30 10:25 Crewe South Yard to Preston
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R63875/2026-10-07/detailed
0B46 12:31 Preston to Crewe Gresty Bridge
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R63872/2026-10-07/detailed
 
Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,779
Location
Croydon
Whenever I drive past Gresty Bridge there is usually 2 or 3 visible at the top of the access road but again totally depends on your luck on the day! Again if going between Nantwich/Crewe you might get a view of some on Gresty Bridge but again depends where they are parked. I was glad to clear them off a few months ago given where they are usually stabled as it is very painful to view both places and get everything.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

@Peter Sarf Here is a good example of what you mentioned, running today 7th October, origin was South Yard but scheduled to terminate at Gresty Bridge, if this actually happens we'll have to wait and see.
93002 + 93007
0B30 10:25 Crewe South Yard to Preston
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R63875/2026-10-07/detailed
0B46 12:31 Preston to Crewe Gresty Bridge
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R63872/2026-10-07/detailed
Ah ha, yes, thanks. If only it included 93009 which I think is also at South Yard.

I think I will watch that one on tracksy or what ever it was (missed the chance last time but suggestion up thread).

It does seem like a pair of 93s venture out each week on average for a quick return to various places up and down the WCML :- Preston x 3, Rugby x 4, Northampton x 1 & Bletchley x 1 since 27/07/2026

Edit to add

Ouch - early.
0N92 has stopped at signal 9012.
New route set to reverse 9023 to 9022 (exit signal from Western sidings).
Now at/behind 9022 (should reverse).
Route set to pass 9025 (exit signal from Gresty Bridge Depot).
14:08 Now behind 9025 (should disappear next). So 21m early.
14:30 gone (into depot area).

I was looking at this :-

Thanks to @Adrian Barr for leading me there.
 
Last edited:

Top