• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

InTheEastMids

Established Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
1,406
Lord Hendy has got around to replying to a July letter from the MP for Harborough & Wigston, Neil O'Brien regarding EMR's performance.
Three pages of ministerial blather that didn't seem to add to what is already known. However, feel free to read it yourself by following the link to Facebook, if you wish (I don't think you need an account to see this page).


A couple of quotes, which may add confirmation to why strikes were cancelled, that Cl222 leases are being extended if possible, and they are still working on backfill options (presumably Cl221).
I am pleased to advise a software fix has resolved the AUX on/off issue
A number of alternative fleet options have been identified and investigated. Some were not deemed to be viable and EMR are continuing to work with the industry on the remaining options, along with the retaining the Class 222s longer for the full timetable to be reinstated
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,346
Lord Hendy has got around to replying to a July letter from the MP for Harborough & Wigston, Neil O'Brien regarding EMR's performance.
Three pages of ministerial blather that didn't seem to add to what is already known. However, feel free to read it yourself by following the link to Facebook, if you wish (I don't think you need an account to see this page).


A couple of quotes, which may add confirmation to why strikes were cancelled, that Cl222 leases are being extended if possible, and they are still working on backfill options (presumably Cl221).
Bottom of page 2 of note where it appears a previous reply (possibly from Minister but not clear) indicated that passengers forced to stand could claim Delay-Repay and apologising for this duff info.....

Ooops, suggests to me that whoever drafts this stuff isn't very au fait with making D-R claims themselves!
 
Joined
8 Apr 2018
Messages
46
Location
Loughborough
According to RTT "problem with the traction equipment" on 810 011 has caused the 19:35 St Pancras to Nottingham to be terminated early at Leicester tonight with the knock on effect of cancelling the last southbound train of the day from Nottingham.

Strange though because it looks like the unit sat in Leicester P2 for almost 2 hours before forming a 22:32 passenger service to Derby.
 

810013

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2026
Messages
49
Location
Chesterfield, UK
I think we're back to Pre timetable change failures....

I feel Hitachi when pressure was put on them managed to "Fix" these units but as soon as that pressure was lifted from them the level of failures have come back.

I'm doubting the October 19th Timetable change now.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,391
I think we're back to Pre timetable change failures....

I feel Hitachi when pressure was put on them managed to "Fix" these units but as soon as that pressure was lifted from them the level of failures have come back.

I'm doubting the October 19th Timetable change now.
I very much doubt the pressure has lifted, after all they have not accepted any more units for several weeks. Indicating focus is very much on the units accepted and getting them to a standard that they should already of been at.
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,851
I think we're back to Pre timetable change failures....

I feel Hitachi when pressure was put on them managed to "Fix" these units but as soon as that pressure was lifted from them the level of failures have come back.

I'm doubting the October 19th Timetable change now.

I suspect it's more a case that with the reduced timetable they were able to keep the problem units on depot, now it's back to full the problem units have to be diagrammed, and are causing problems. Same goes for the 222s.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,391
I suspect it's more a case that with the reduced timetable they were able to keep the problem units on depot, now it's back to full the problem units have to be diagrammed, and are causing problems. Same goes for the 222s.
But to return to the normal(ish) timetable, EMR must of seen an improvement in performance from Hitachi, and also had sight of the recovery plan to ensure that the availability of units is consistent and not of the problems a few months ago, otherwise all that will happen again is a reduced timetable will have to be reintroduced.
 

InTheEastMids

Established Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
1,406
I think we're back to Pre timetable change failures....
I don't agree, at least on today's evidence. This failure's causing 1 and a half cancellations, with the 2nd impacted train (1202 STP-Shef) being picked up by a replacement unit at Derby. This wouldn't have happened in June/July. There'd have been no spare, and all the services it was due to run would be cancelled (or there'd be some frenzied reshuffling at St Pancras with other services being canned).

EMR must of seen an improvement in performance from Hitachi
Worse in the long term if that improvement has been more about better Cl222 performance than Cl810. The failed 810 above is being backfilled by a 222, meaning 14x222 are in service today and I reckon there are only ~17 still working for EMR. That's actually pretty good for a fleet that's overdue overhaul and generally looks well past its use-by date. At least half the units I saw on Monday were on 4 engines.

So if we're still at the point where Hitachi can only get 5-6 Cl810 out of bed each morning, then a reasonable best-case scenario is 20 available trains to cover 19 diagrams.
So I think the next crunch time is less about the reliability falling back, and more that further Cl222 leave whilst there's a continued hiatus on Cl810 acceptance.
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
860
Location
Nottingham
Just seen a RAIL article regarding the Dynamic Braking on the 810s, EMR have had to turn off the Dynamic Braking for the time being whilst they investigate issues with said brakes after multiple units started overshooting their stop markers.

"At least two units were involved in incidents in late September when coming into stations on the Midland Main Line.

RAIL understands there have been instances where the dynamic brake has released at low speed."
"
Switching off the dynamic braking function means drivers must use friction braking instead, with one source saying it will lead to a “rougher ride”.

The notice added: “Although this method of braking may feel different, the stopping distances will remain unchanged."
(Quotes from this RAIL magazine)
 

Top