• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,656
Location
Derby
Hiya kinda random I’m new to all of this but I wanted to ask if there was a way for me to find out if my 0835 train from st pancreas to Notts will be the class 810?
I want to upgrade to 1st class but only will do it if it’s the aurora lol.
Thank you x
If you mean on Saturday..Well last Saturday it was a Class 222
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

choochootelle

New Member
Joined
10 Apr 2026
Messages
3
Location
london
If you mean on Saturday..Well last Saturday it was a Class 22

If you mean on Saturday..Well last Saturday it was a Class 222
Yes Saturday lol! That’s a shame to hear but thank you:wub:
Does anyone have experience on EMR first class, is it worth it? Ik on Saturdays complimentary food is a box kind of situation so no cooked breaky, but other than that is it good?
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,656
Location
Derby
Yes Saturday lol! That’s a shame to hear but thank you:wub:
Does anyone have experience on EMR first class, is it worth it? Ik on Saturdays complimentary food is a box kind of situation so no cooked breaky, but other than that is it good?
Never experienced it on Saturday. Check out the EMR website for their Saturday first class breakfast offering .... Subject to staff being available.
 

1D54

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2019
Messages
1,480
Hiya kinda random I’m new to all of this but I wanted to ask if there was a way for me to find out if my 0835 train from st pancreas to Notts will be the class 810?
I want to upgrade to 1st class but only will do it if it’s the aurora lol.
Thank you x
Looks like you are in luck then.. 810013.
 

choochootelle

New Member
Joined
10 Apr 2026
Messages
3
Location
london
Looks like you are in luck then.. 810013.
Wooohooo that’s amazing to hear thank you so much!!! :wub:
Absolutely can’t wait, now I just have to make sure I don’t miss the train lol ;-;

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Looks like the 0835 train from St pancreas to Notts is delayed till 0840 due to a fault in the train
The rumours about the 810s being dodgy is being proved right :/
Still it’s expected to get to Notts at the same time!
So we’ll see
 
Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,295
Location
East Midlands
Wooohooo that’s amazing to hear thank you so much!!! :wub:
Absolutely can’t wait, now I just have to make sure I don’t miss the train lol ;-;

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Looks like the 0835 train from St pancreas to Notts is delayed till 0840 due to a fault in the train
The rumours about the 810s being dodgy is being proved right :/
Still it’s expected to get to Notts at the same time!
So we’ll see
Looks like you may get a "fun" journey...here's a link to my post in the class 222 reliability thread explaining what's going on:
 

tram21

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
1,327
Location
Nottingham
Looks like you may get a "fun" journey...here's a link to my post in the class 222 reliability thread explaining what's going on:
810013 failed at London and this service was cancelled.
 

Alpaca

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2021
Messages
5
Location
Syston
Chaos at Leicester this morning, 810006 arrives on time for the 10:15 to Sheffield before being cancelled due to a fault 2 mins before departure, to then be put back into service on a 15 min delay. No explanation for this but we have left!
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Chaos at Leicester this morning, 810006 arrives on time for the 10:15 to Sheffield before being cancelled due to a fault 2 mins before departure, to then be put back into service on a 15 min delay. No explanation for this but we have left!
Good to hear the fault was rectified. I see a schedule was put in for a 5Z01 10:15 to Derby but then cancelled again.
 

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,504
Location
Leicestershire
Chaos at Leicester this morning, 810006 arrives on time for the 10:15 to Sheffield before being cancelled due to a fault 2 mins before departure, to then be put back into service on a 15 min delay. No explanation for this but we have left!
"Chaos" is a strong word! Likely not as chaotic as all of yesterday's disruption!
 

ChilliSauce

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2025
Messages
328
Does anyone have experience on EMR first class, is it worth it? Ik on Saturdays complimentary food is a box kind of situation so no cooked breaky, but other than that is it good?
If your expecting the same level of service as offered in 1st Class by LNER then I am afraid to say you will be very very disappointed.
 

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
827
Location
Leicester
From EMR's website they offer the below at breakfast:
  • Freshly filled hot breakfast rolls
  • Choose from a plain porridge with honey or jam, or Salted caramel and almond
  • Flavoured yoghurt
  • Sweet treat
But only for those on "longer" journeys - which it doesn't specify what that is. For shorter journeys you get a hot/cold drink and a biscuit.
 

Railperf

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
3,684
Does anyone know why northbound starts from Leicester seem unusually slow at the moment?
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
I feel changes to the announcements coming - "we will shortly be arriving at [station name] - if you are leaving us here, please remember your personal belongings, press the circular door open button and take care when leaving the train".
I hope that’s a joke. If not, humanity is doomed.
 

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,144
Location
Leicestershire
If your expecting the same level of service as offered in 1st Class by LNER then I am afraid to say you will be very very disappointed.
Absolutely 100% agree. When I came back from Edinburgh, LNER’s first class offering was a million light years ahead of EMR’s paltry one. Decent grub on proper plates and they kept me fed and watered all the time. Yes, I get the argument that EMR’s longest service is ~2 hours; but as I have said before, if you pay IC fares, you should expect a proper IC service with all the trimmings.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

From EMR's website they offer the below at breakfast:
  • Freshly filled hot breakfast rolls
  • Choose from a plain porridge with honey or jam, or Salted caramel and almond
  • Flavoured yoghurt
  • Sweet treat
But only for those on "longer" journeys - which it doesn't specify what that is. For shorter journeys you get a hot/cold drink and a biscuit.
Bit sceptical of the claim that they’ll be fresh; but I’ll go for a “longer” trip in first class one day and open-mindedly test the offering - anything of higher quality than mass-produced tut would be a nice, refreshing surprise.
 
Last edited:

Dave61

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2026
Messages
154
Location
Long Eaton
Absolutely 100% agree. When I came back from Edinburgh, LNER’s first class offering was a million light years ahead of EMR’s paltry one. Decent grub on proper plates and they kept me fed and watered all the time. Yes, I get the argument that EMR’s longest service is ~2 hours; but as I have said before, if you pay IC fares, you should expect a proper IC service with all the trimmings.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Bit sceptical of the claim that they’ll be fresh; but I’ll go for a “longer” trip in first class one day and open-mindedly test the offering - anything of higher quality than mass-produced tut would be a nice, refreshing surprise.
Wife and I went 1st class to London from Long Eaton last year and the bacon roll was quite enjoyable. Shame they got rid of the 1st waiting lounge in STP.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,664
Does anyone know why northbound starts from Leicester seem unusually slow at the moment?
We have a theory that it's because you have only been on engines for a short time/distance before stopping , although we don't know for sure.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,382
We have a theory that it's because you have only been on engines for a short time/distance before stopping , although we don't know for sure.
That shouldn't matter. As long as the engine has been preheated correctly before starting, then it can be used as normal.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,664
That shouldn't matter. As long as the engine has been preheated correctly before starting, then it can be used as normal.
I agree. However it's the only place it happens and only down road. You really can feel the difference , it doesn't struggle at any other station or Leicester on the up .
 

DannyMich2018

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
943
I agree. However it's the only place it happens and only down road. You really can feel the difference , it doesn't struggle at any other station or Leicester on the up .
Yes agree. I seen on Sat a 810 arrive Leicester from the North, it came in and left about the same as a 222 would and no slower pulling out really.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,969
Location
Northampton
I agree. However it's the only place it happens and only down road. You really can feel the difference , it doesn't struggle at any other station or Leicester on the up .

Changing at Leicester from a down Nottingham that's an 810 I've noticed, standing at the front of the departing train, that there's a noticeable delay between the driver 'opening up' and the engine revs building up to full, takes longer than a 222. Seems to remain stationery as the revs increase for longer.
But I haven't observed at any other location for comparison.
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
I imagine that the 810’s engines will need a software upgrade, so they can pull away better from a start, rather like when the 800’s first started running on GWR, when they struggled on diesel to match HST running. Im waiting for more 810 diagrams to start, as there are none at convenient time from St Pancras-Sheffield, only 08.03 STP-Sheffield then none on the fast Sheffield’s for good few hours(going by RTT). I did a St Pancras-Sheffield run couple weeks back to see what they are like on electric, but had bad run, held up late running Corby service, so want to try again.
 

tfw756rider

On Moderation
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
1,984
Location
Wales (sometimes in England), thanks for replying!
I imagine that the 810’s engines will need a software upgrade, so they can pull away better from a start, rather like when the 800’s first started running on GWR, when they struggled on diesel to match HST running.
Don't the 810s have 4 986hp engines out of the box, compared to the 5-car 800s originally having 3 engines detuned to 750hp but then mapped to 940hp?
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
tfw756 rider, i dont know, but looks like if they slow pulling away, that they need software update or maybe drivers trained to pull away in different notch etc. The 800’s pull away quite sprightly on Diesel, but its in the higher power bracket that they lose puff compared to HST’s etc from what remember when they were introduced.
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
828
Location
Nottingham
Looks like it might be ROG delivering 810018 today with a 5Q57 flow (tests the ECML then heads to Derby from there), it’s been manually activated now so all signs point to it going.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,382
Looks like it might be ROG delivering 810018 today with a 5Q57 flow (tests the ECML then heads to Derby from there), it’s been manually activated now so all signs point to it going.
Only a day later than planned......not bad
 

Top