• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
3,684
Am i right in thinking that this was the first week for a while where ghe 810s fulfilled all their monday to friday diagrams without any major delays or cancellations?
Today seems to be the first day with an issue.
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
Agreed. Pointy noses on the 810s aside, I feel that EMR’s IC service has been moving more and more towards a glorified regional express service.
MML intercity services are more of a regional express these days though - plenty use them just for short hops between Leicester and Derby/Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield, and even the London journeys are arguably more comparable to parts of the Southern third rail network (e.g. Southampton to London) than services on the East or West Coast Main Lines. GWR Cardiff or Bristol to London services are effectively glorified Regional services too.
 

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,145
Location
Leicestershire
MML intercity services are more of a regional express these days though - plenty use them just for short hops between Leicester and Derby/Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield, and even the London journeys are arguably more comparable to parts of the Southern third rail network (e.g. Southampton to London) than services on the East or West Coast Main Lines. GWR Cardiff or Bristol to London services are effectively glorified Regional services too.
A real shame really. I mean, don’t get me wrong, the main thing is to get from A to B efficiently regardless of train spec or comfort - as much as I and others despair at the poor condition of the 222s or 3+2 seating on the 360s, the main thing is they get us to the destination. But, as I’ve said before, the spec of train should match the level of fare paid - IC fares command an IC level of service, regardless of whether the journey is 5 minutes or 5 hours.
 

720144

Member
Joined
26 May 2024
Messages
386
Location
uk
810014’s first ever appearance on rtt today, will work 3A23 Etches park to Beeston sidings on test.
 

DannyMich2018

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
943
810014 today:


Should be in passenger service imminently
Fantastic. With as stated on the 810 diagrams thread 4th diagram starting next week that be 6 passenger accepted units to cover 4 diagrams. Any news on 810015 delivery? Many thanks.
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
Fantastic. With as stated on the 810 diagrams thread 4th diagram starting next week that be 6 passenger accepted units to cover 4 diagrams. Any news on 810015 delivery? Many thanks.
No date of delivery yet but I'd expect it to arrive in the next week or two
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,989
Location
Northampton
Fantastic. With as stated on the 810 diagrams thread 4th diagram starting next week that be 6 passenger accepted units to cover 4 diagrams. Any news on 810015 delivery? Many thanks.

As a question generally - I don't expect that you'll know - but will this displace a 222 off-lease, and if so, which one? It interests me whether they'll just go off lease in numerical order - as 222001-4 did - or whether they get rid of the mis-formed ones such as 222103/4 (which have a DMF,MF and MC, declassified) or 222006 (with a part-declassified MF instead of an MC) first. But 222007s continued absence might be a clue...
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
As a question generally - I don't expect that you'll know - but will this displace a 222 off-lease, and if so, which one? It interests me whether they'll just go off lease in numerical order - as 222001-4 did - or whether they get rid of the mis-formed ones such as 222103/4 (which have a DMF,MF and MC, declassified) or 222006 (with a part-declassified MF instead of an MC) first. But 222007s continued absence might be a clue...
The 222s will be leaving in near enough numerical order with 006 next to go (not just yet though which is promising for diagram coverage) however I have heard internal rumours that 101-104 may be fast tracked out of the company as they are non-standard (no guarantees though)

As for 007 the repairs from when it sat down a few weeks ago are ongoing. I reckon it'll re-enter service with EMR once fixed
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,989
Location
Northampton
The 222s will be leaving in near enough numerical order with 006 next to go (not just yet though which is promising for diagram coverage) however I have heard internal rumours that 101-104 may be fast tracked out of the company as they are non-standard (no guarantees though)

As for 007 the repairs from when it sat down a few weeks ago are ongoing. I reckon it'll re-enter service with EMR once fixed

Thanks. - 222007 seems to be following the same course as 222002 which spent a long time waiting repairs but re-emerged (after one false start) for (what I remember as) a final few weeks service.

Presumably the smaller first accommodation in the 222/1s has always handicapped the reservation system as I don't think that they had separate diagrams. Similar reservation problems with the part-declass. MFs
 

720144

Member
Joined
26 May 2024
Messages
386
Location
uk
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,309
The repeated door and disabled toilet problems being reported on here seem to have declined recently.

Have these been resolved somewhat?
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
Just a quick summary of which 810s we have, when they arrived and their debuts in service, for the benefit of those keeping track

UnitDelivery dateDebut in serviceFirst service
81000627/10/2504/12/251C17
81000830/07/25Not in serviceTraining unit
81000911/08/25Not in serviceTraining unit
81001005/11/2503/12/251C17
81001115/12/2505/01/261C17
81001229/11/2512/12/251B07
81001320/12/2514/01/261C17
81001427/02/2611/03/261B07
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
The repeated door and disabled toilet problems being reported on here seem to have declined recently.

Have these been resolved somewhat?

I know there was one swapped for a 222 at Derby yesterday due to an internal door issue, but don't know which.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,309
I know there was one swapped for a 222 at Derby yesterday due to an internal door issue, but don't know which.
Thanks. Sounds like not totally resolved yet then. Hope it will be before long. Must be frustrating for all involved- suppliers and crews etc.
 

DerbySplitter

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2025
Messages
8
Location
Derby
The repeated door and disabled toilet problems being reported on here seem to have declined recently.

Have these been resolved somewhat?
I caught the 14.32 from Derby yesterday (810012) and two of the toilets were out of order. It was a long schlep from the front of the train to find a working one in first class.

Caught 810010 home at 22.32 which was fine in our carriage.

They are nice enough trains, you can still smell the new carpet, but I don't think the seats are very comfortable. Very much remind me of Ryanair lol.

I also think they're noisy. Not so much the engines but the air conditioning or air circulation units in the carriages are so loud.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
That was 810006, which is back in service today
I get the impression that 810006 has been the most troublesome unit so far, it seems to have got about as many faults mentioned as all the other units put together! Maybe this is a false impression but I feel like this unit is one to avoid!
 

midland1

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2019
Messages
447
Location
wigston
I caught the 14.32 from Derby yesterday (810012) and two of the toilets were out of order. It was a long schlep from the front of the train to find a working one in first class.

Caught 810010 home at 22.32 which was fine in our carriage.

They are nice enough trains, you can still smell the new carpet, but I don't think the seats are very comfortable. Very much remind me of Ryanair lol.

I also think they're noisy. Not so much the engines but the air conditioning or air circulation units in the carriages are so loud.
My one trip on a 810 the air con was so noisy like having a vac. cleaner over your head !
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
I get the impression that 810006 has been the most troublesome unit so far, it seems to have got about as many faults mentioned as all the other units put together! Maybe this is a false impression but I feel like this unit is one to avoid!
Just to give your point a different perspective, 006 is the highest mileage unit with the most passenger workings under its belt so maybe it's simply a case of its faults drawing more attention from the general public. I'd suggest that it must be a good one if it's trusted to work more than the other units, but that's only my opinion

On the contrary, 011 is the lowest mileage unit. We as a forum don't know why, maybe it's a reliabity issue or they're using it for other needs, but any issues it develops, will most likely have been spotted and fixed on depot without the public even noticing
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
Just to give your point a different perspective, 006 is the highest mileage unit with the most passenger workings under its belt so maybe it's simply a case of its faults drawing more attention from the general public. I'd suggest that it must be a good one if it's trusted to work more than the other units, but that's only my opinion
...
Good point. Maybe that explains it.
 

810013

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2026
Messages
48
Location
Chesterfield, UK
The repeated door and disabled toilet problems being reported on here seem to have declined recently.

Have these been resolved somewhat?
006 accessible toilet was out few days ago coach A i believe

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

810014 Passing Tapton Jn on 1F15 STP-SHF earlier
643848688_1284296846956299_5466557482867283283_n.jpg
 
Last edited:

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
Path is in for 810015 to be delivered to Etches Park on Friday (13/03/26)

Not heard much on the progress of 016 but I'd imagine that'll be not far behind
 

AndrewJM70

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2023
Messages
96
Location
Leicester
Looks like they are starting to arrive thick and fast. I am assuming that any issues they encounter and solve with the sets in service are also put right in the sets about to be delivered?
 

Top