• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
849
Location
Nottingham
Why were these small issues not found during the testing phase before the units entered service or even accepted from the manufacturer?
I suppose in the testing phase, they didn’t go through 6+ hours a day, every day a week for miles on end carrying passengers. I wonder if this massive jump in demand from the units has caused them to falter a bit in a way not identifiable in testing. All the issues encountered on the mainline, whilst there are a lot of them, have all been fixed within a day, maybe they just need to be worn in a bit.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dosxuk

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
2,442
Remember they are brand new trains for the people operating and maintaining them. Years of experience of "just press that button and reset that breaker" type fault fixing is completely invalid and has to be relearnt.
 

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
Remember they are brand new trains for the people operating and maintaining them. Years of experience of "just press that button and reset that breaker" type fault fixing is completely invalid and has to be relearnt.
I remember when the 170s were introduced on the MML there were a large number of representatives of the manufacturer both at the stations and travelling. My memory fades, but I think that stock had a troubled introduction. Did the introduction of the 80Xs to LNER and GWR suffer as badly as the 810s are?
 

ChilliSauce

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2025
Messages
328
Seems to be the usual way, they’ll fail during the day, terminate / go ECS to Etches, and then come back out later. This insinuates the issues are possibly quick fixes, that maybe one day could be fixed while out and about.
What you might be looking at here is something along the lines of: Go to depot, do a "Control, Alt, Delete" .. restart .. Send back out onto service.

Certainly that is basically what happened when I was on a Class 805 Preston / Carlisle shuttle .. Arrived Preston on Electric Traction, unit refused to co-operate on Diesel .. So complete train shut down, count to 300 and restart.
 

dorsetdesiro

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
766
Anyone remember how the 222s were when first entered service, was that smooth sailing or troublesome as the 810s or worse?
 

ChilliSauce

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2025
Messages
328
Anyone remember how the 222s were when first entered service, was that smooth sailing or troublesome as the 810s or worse?
Well at the time I used the HST service on the MML on a daily basis for commuting and slowly but surely the HSTs were replaced with Class 222 which from the perspective of comfort was a backwards step.

Of course they followed on from Class 220 and class 221 so a real probability that the train builder "Bombardier" had by that time sorted out any problems ..

Wonder what the excuse is from Hitachi with class 810 ?
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Two paths in the system for moves from Merchant Park to Etches Park, so potential for 2 810s to move tomorrow, Monday 22nd Feb.

I've been told that 810014 has past its testing in mainline.

Also a strange 3Q41 path for a 8Xx unit heading to Newcastle and back, can only be an 810 as nothing else there, but I've never seen a path out of there as a class 3.

I've attached a screen shot of the paths showing on RTT.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9301.png
    IMG_9301.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
849
Location
Nottingham
Two paths in the system for moves from Merchant Park to Etches Park, so potential for 2 810s to move tomorrow, Monday 22nd Feb.

I've been told that 810014 has past its testing in mainline.

Also a strange 3Q41 path for a 8Xx unit heading to Newcastle and back, can only be an 810 as nothing else there, but I've never seen a path out of there as a class 3.

I've attached a screen shot of the paths showing on RTT.
It'll be as a 3Q code for a few reasons, the main one being that its ROG operated instead of the usual GBRf, but maybe also the fact that it is during the daytime helps with pathing allowances. With it being 3Q instead of 5Q, it gets put with the same priority as working passenger services (and I think high-speed ones), so it will be routed ahead of any other ECS and Freight moves, so they avoid most the congestion of daytime ECML. This could mean that they get a relatively constant speed for testing instead of it being quite stop-start, this is just a speculation though.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
It'll be as a 3Q code for a few reasons, the main one being that its ROG operated instead of the usual GBRf, but maybe also the fact that it is during the daytime helps with pathing allowances. With it being 3Q instead of 5Q, it gets put with the same priority as working passenger services (and I think high-speed ones), so it will be routed ahead of any other ECS and Freight moves, so they avoid most the congestion of daytime ECML. This could mean that they get a relatively constant speed for testing instead of it being quite stop-start, this is just a speculation though.
Fully aware of the reasoning for the type of different headcodes, in all the years of testing out of Merchant Park I can never ever recall a 3Q path.

All paths including daytime testing like this (which has been a lot) have all been 5Q paths, which is why I wrote it is strange that the 3Q paths are planned.
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
849
Location
Nottingham
Fully aware of the reasoning for the type of different headcodes, in all the years of testing out of Merchant Park I can never ever recall a 3Q path.

All paths including daytime testing like this (which has been a lot) have all been 5Q paths, which is why I wrote it is strange that the 3Q paths are planned.
Yeah, it is strange, but I'm sure ROG have a reason, it may not even run anyways at the end of the day
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
Two paths in the system for moves from Merchant Park to Etches Park, so potential for 2 810s to move tomorrow, Monday 22nd Feb.

I've been told that 810014 has past its testing in mainline.

Also a strange 3Q41 path for a 8Xx unit heading to Newcastle and back, can only be an 810 as nothing else there, but I've never seen a path out of there as a class 3.

I've attached a screen shot of the paths showing on RTT.
I'm surprised there are two paths to Etches Park. I'm inclined to believe just 014 will be delivered
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
I'm surprised there are two paths to Etches Park. I'm inclined to believe just 014 will be delivered
Most likely incase it's not ready to leave on the first path, lost count of the times delivery runs have been cancelled due to issues with the units over the years.
 

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,146
Location
Leicestershire
That’s nonsense.
Really the fault of Brexit or Trump
Not forgetting the notorious £22bn black hole caused by the previous government! :rolleyes: :lol:

Back OT, is the status of 002 any more known? Or is part of it still in Italy after all this time?
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Not forgetting the notorious £22bn black hole caused by the previous government! :rolleyes: :lol:

Back OT, is the status of 002 any more known? Or is part of it still in Italy after all this time?
Since it (or part of it) went to Italy for climate testing, it has not been heard or seen since.

Talking to people who work inside the factory at Aycliffe, they know nothing about it.

Am sure it has been 2 possibly 3 years or longer since it left. (I saw at least 2 carriages wrapped in low loaders leaving the factory).
 

tram21

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
1,337
Location
Nottingham
Since it (or part of it) went to Italy for climate testing, it has not been heard or seen since.

Talking to people who work inside the factory at Aycliffe, they know nothing about it.

Am sure it has been 2 possibly 3 years or longer since it left. (I saw at least 2 carriages wrapped in low loaders leaving the factory).
Hope they find it soon :p
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
Back OT, is the status of 002 any more known? Or is part of it still in Italy after all this time?
810002 is expected to be among the last to be completed and delivered (early 2027) so I'd assume it's still a couple of months away from being seen
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
810002 is expected to be among the last to be completed and delivered (early 2027) so I'd assume it's still a couple of months away from being seen
Makes you wonder what they actually did with it in Italy.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,315
Makes you wonder what they actually did with it in Italy.
It's just symptomatic of the wholly lethargic (word used with consideration) approach to rail vehicle delivery, with it all being someone else's money. I doubt if the assembly line workers have waited patiently four years for their pay. We currently have the same situation with the new DLR trains, with commissioning proceeding at the speed of coastal erosion. I've described before UK airlines taking delivery of new jets on time on a Friday, and having them in full all-day service all around Europe from the following Monday, with EVERYTHING working..
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Lead to believe 810014 will deliver to Etches Park on Wednesday.

Today's 5Q17 path now cancelled which was manually activated.
 
Last edited:

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
849
Location
Nottingham
Everything out of Merchant Park has been cancelled today (so far), both moves to Etches and then the tests to Newcastle, waiting to see on tonight’s tests
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Everything out of Merchant Park has been cancelled today (so far), both moves to Etches and then the tests to Newcastle, waiting to see on tonight’s tests
014 and 015 both sat outside at Merchant Park, both pan up.

014 to move to Derby Wednesday.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,671
It's just symptomatic of the wholly lethargic (word used with consideration) approach to rail vehicle delivery, with it all being someone else's money. I doubt if the assembly line workers have waited patiently four years for their pay. We currently have the same situation with the new DLR trains, with commissioning proceeding at the speed of coastal erosion. I've described before UK airlines taking delivery of new jets on time on a Friday, and having them in full all-day service all around Europe from the following Monday, with EVERYTHING working..
I think we as an industry don't challenge this enough. Agreed. With a nod to boom and bust being a contributing factor.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,869
It's just symptomatic of the wholly lethargic (word used with consideration) approach to rail vehicle delivery, with it all being someone else's money. I doubt if the assembly line workers have waited patiently four years for their pay. We currently have the same situation with the new DLR trains, with commissioning proceeding at the speed of coastal erosion. I've described before UK airlines taking delivery of new jets on time on a Friday, and having them in full all-day service all around Europe from the following Monday, with EVERYTHING working..
That’s the difference between small production runs and a production line. A new Airbus A320neo is off the production line with customisation of some items (livery, seats), but otherwise standard. On the U.K. railway we buy short runs of new stock.

It does happen on the railway: for example Siemens build their Vectron locos on a production line and they come off the line and go straight into service. Siemens routinely deliver orders on time or early in consequence.
 

Top