ohgoditsjames
Member
Anyone know if the Transformers used in the 800 series are made by ABB?
The new trains for Avanti West Coast will probably be built after those for the MML. So will they have the new nose and the extra diesel, as it has been stated these will be able to do Pendelino timings without tilt?
I suspect the new nose being shorter is everything to do with keeping the overall train length within a limit, and nothing to do with aerodynamics or speed. As electric trains the 80x series are already 125 mph units.I think LNER will be splitting at Leeds to serve Bradford, Harrogate, Huddersfield etc. We shall find out pretty soon.
I think that the most interesting thing about the EMR trains is that they will have a new nose. Will it be more aerodynamic, so that the train can cruise at a higher speed on the same power?
The new trains for Avanti West Coast will probably be built after those for the MML. So will they have the new nose and the extra diesel, as it has been stated these will be able to do Pendelino timings without tilt?
Is this "new nose" not just a small design facelift ? Subtle changes to the headlights for example ?

Excellent. The intermediate spacing is theoretically at the lower end of the should be OK range but always a good idea to check.
What that doesn't of course measure is the long term effects e.g. dropper fatigue
Apparently they will have a different nose profile.Is this "new nose" not just a small design facelift ? Subtle changes to the headlights for example ?
Hmmm I’m interested.Apparently they will have a different nose profile.
As well as a new headlight design.Hmmm I’m interested.
That makes sense as the engine layout is symmetrical. Look forward to seeing what the seats are like.In the latest modern railway magazine the formation of the sets have been confirmed.
Driving Trailer First (DTF)
Motor Composite (MC)
Trailer Standard (TS)
Motor Standard (MS)
Driving Trailer Standard (DTS)
Also noted in the article it states that the operator is not tied to the current AT300 seat design that is currently used and that the class number has not been allocated yet so 804 might not be correct.
In the latest modern railway magazine the formation of the sets have been confirmed.
Driving Trailer First (DTF)
Motor Composite (MC)
Trailer Standard (TS)
Motor Standard (MS)
Driving Trailer Standard (DTS)
Also noted in the article it states that the operator is not tied to the current AT300 seat design that is currently used and that the class number has not been allocated yet so 804 might not be correct.
I wouldn't mind something like the 222's current seats (just less threadbare) and having a similar capacity to a 7 car 222 with be a big help as a lot of the time the 4/5 cars can be full and standing.That makes sense as the engine layout is symmetrical. Look forward to seeing what the seats are like.
That is what is in the mag. I'm sure it will the driving vehicles with the engines.Only 2 motor vehicles? Presumably those will be all axles motored, otherwise I'd be a bit worried about their performance. (And presumably the driving trailers will have engines?)
I agree with you about seats. I assume that the driving vehicles will also have an engine.I wouldn't mind something like the 222's current seats (just less threadbare) and having a similar capacity to a 7 car 222 with be a big help as a lot of the time the 4/5 cars can be full and standing.
That is what is in the mag. I'm sure it will the driving vehicles with the engines.
I think if the driving trailers would be fitted with engines, it would be the sensible option.Only 2 motor vehicles? Presumably those will be all axles motored, otherwise I'd be a bit worried about their performance. (And presumably the driving trailers will have engines?)
I'm sure it will the driving vehicles with the engines.
I think the driving motors will have engines, it would be the sensible option.
But there are no “driving motors” listed above. “Driving” refers here to the cab location, and “trailer” means a carriage with no motors...I think the driving motors will have engines, it would be the sensible option.
That could also work. I hope we find out soon.My understanding was the four engines would be split as two per motor car, this from the information given sone time ago now. Presumably each engine would power two traction motors driving one bogie at one end of the Motor Composite and Motor Standard.
I could of course be wrong, but it seems more likely the engines will be in the same vehicles as the traction motors
I meant to say "Driving Trailer", my mistake.But there are no “driving motors” listed above. “Driving” refers here to the cab location, and “trailer” means a carriage with no motors...
But there are no “driving motors” listed above. “Driving” refers here to the cab location, and “trailer” means a carriage with no motors...
That could also work. I hope we find out soon.
My understanding was the four engines would be split as two per motor car, this from the information given sone time ago now. Presumably each engine would power two traction motors driving one bogie at one end of the Motor Composite and Motor Standard.
I could of course be wrong, but it seems more likely the engines will be in the same vehicles as the traction motors
Would 2 engines per motor car not make those coaches exceedingly heavy?That's why I'm expecting two engines per motor car
Indeed, it leads me to consider that if two engines of sufficient power can be fitted to one car, then could any future builds be fitted with say six engines for a 5-car set and so on, to give greater performance.
I think the shorter carriages are going to be a big barrier.Unless the current 80x are particularly empty underneath the solebar, that seems a bold way forward. 2 engines and sets of exhaust treatment (vice 1), large fuel tank to feed both engines, and the traction electronics, in a shorter vehicle (or best case equivalent if the outer overhangs get trimmed)
As for motor bogies, i wonder if it's feasible to adopt an aventra type system where one set of traction electronics feeds motored bogies across different cars
Would 2 engines per motor car not make those coaches exceedingly heavy?
In that case, it would be fine.The axle load of a Class 800 carriage is 15 tonnes with an engine, 13 without. If we just as a very rough guess add another engine’s weight on, that gets us to 17 tonnes for an ‘804’. Though the shorter length would presumably drop some of the weight too.
In comparison, the axle load of a Class 43 is 17.5 tonnes, so it’s not massively heavy that would prevent it from being able to follow routes.