Boilinthebag
Member
It might be worth referring to SS2 and the definitions of shunting/wrong direction movements for this (could be one or both for this) This type of movement involves rules in SS2/TW7 and TW1 possibly.
Yes and this is not one of those circumstances.
I should know because I have reversed a train before for a considerable distance, in one of those permitted circumstances.
You would like to know that reversing is allowed by the Rulebook under certain circumstances .
Even if it was not one of them, unlikely driver would be sacked .
Meeting ( perhaps more than one ) with managers(s) without tea and biscuits , yes , but sacking very unlikely .
I thought that reversing a train after an overshoot was TOC-dependent? I know some that are “forward-only” & others that will allow it. The rule book evidently allows it.
In a multiple unit the driver is required to change ends. You're thinking of the rule regarding the maximum distance a driver may be permitted by the signaller to return to the platform after over-running a station.
That is permitted in the rule book, a maximum distance of 400m.
It's not TOC dependent, it's rolling stock dependent. TW7 says:I thought that reversing a train after an overshoot was TOC-dependent? I know some that are “forward-only” & others that will allow it. The rule book evidently allows it.
Setting back - as distinct from reversing - is dependent on the signaller allowing you to do it, and very much involves changing ends.
It's not TOC dependent, it's rolling stock dependent. TW7 says:
Exactly what I thought.My first clue was the non-functioning displays, turns out driver was preoccupied with sorting that and the non-functioning FMS in general and misjudged the braking.
I was wondering who was crewing the Oxford-Bristol services: is it Bristol based crew that have just learnt the route to Oxford, or Oxford crew that have just learnt it to Bristol. I was wondering having seen a few workings of Oxford-Didcot as ECS over summer - rather than because of this incident.I’d be very surprised if it was as simple as ‘forgetting’, given every GWR service in the Up direction is currently booked to call.
I was wondering who was crewing the Oxford-Bristol services: is it Bristol based crew that have just learnt the route to Oxford, or Oxford crew that have just learnt it to Bristol. I was wondering having seen a few workings of Oxford-Didcot as ECS over summer - rather than because of this incident.
But isn't that exactly what happened in this case?
Therefore what was done was perfectly correct.
If they overcharge then I'd assume a handshakeAs an aside, if you are overcharged when grocery shopping, do you ever wonder what happens to the cashier after you've had the matter rectified and you have left the store? I don't!
I was wondering who was crewing the Oxford-Bristol services: is it Bristol based crew that have just learnt the route to Oxford, or Oxford crew that have just learnt it to Bristol. I was wondering having seen a few workings of Oxford-Didcot as ECS over summer - rather than because of this incident.
As an aside, if you are overcharged when grocery shopping, do you ever wonder what happens to the cashier after you've had the matter rectified and you have left the store? I don't!
I was wondering how prevalent 'propelling' is these days. Obviously freight going into yards, but with shunters present, but are there any instances of passenger stock, either ECS or otherwise?
It's pretty rare. One example is if the driving controls are defective in the leading cab of a MU, and you need to clear the line.I was wondering how prevalent 'propelling' is these days. Obviously freight going into yards, but with shunters present, but are there any instances of passenger stock, either ECS or otherwise?
There's probably a cash register enthusiasts forum on the web somewhere where they discuss such things in minute detail![]()
As Sir Peter Parker (ex British Railways Board chairman) once famously said, 'On the railway, every day is an Open Day'.When I worked on the railway (I'm long retired) this interest did puzzle me.
I think the answer is that the railway's production line is visible to the general public, unlike almost every other industry (buses are similar to railways, though).
I'm sure that, if the public could watch the production line at a baked beans canning factory there would be just as many questions/criticisms/suggestions about the faults of the process and personnel. But they can't...
It’s exactly the same reason that production companies make and viewers watch things like Air Crash Investigation; people find process and procedure interesting, and there is curiosity as the cause when it goes wrong. It isn’t morbid or intrusive, it’s just human nature!When I worked on the railway (I'm long retired) this interest did puzzle me.
I think the answer is that the railway's production line is visible to the general public, unlike almost every other industry (buses are similar to railways, though).
I'm sure that, if the public could watch the production line at a baked beans canning factory there would be just as many questions/criticisms/suggestions about the faults of the process and personnel. But they can't...
I understand the ones that get irritated at the automatic accusations against the driver or staff involved.I’ve never really understood why some folk on this forum get so upset about it, it’s perfectly understandable for a discussion to happen when an operating incident has very obviously happened!
I was wondering how prevalent 'propelling' is these days. Obviously freight going into yards, but with shunters present, but are there any instances of passenger stock, either ECS or otherwise?
I was wondering how prevalent 'propelling' is these days. Obviously freight going into yards, but with shunters present, but are there any instances of passenger stock, either ECS or otherwise?
I was wondering how prevalent 'propelling' is these days. Obviously freight going into yards, but with shunters present, but are there any instances of passenger stock, either ECS or otherwise?