• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,626
Location
Crewe
Given how long it took to get the 730/2s into service and they have now been in service for 12 months, it's pretty poor that something as basic as emptying the toilet tanks is still an area of concern.

Crewe is a maintenance depot. They do plenty of work there for a variety of trains.
Crewe is not classed as a maintenance depot for class 730. It's only classed as a stabling point. Which is frustrating as this allows 730s to enter service at Crewe without working toilets, as happens from time to time, and they won't empty them during the daytime either. Needs to improve, far too many run around with 1 or no working toilets (out of 6). And yes, I do know this first hand, I work them daily.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,702
Location
Croydon
From previous posts i think its first day in service was August 4th
Something like that. After we waited an age for it to enter service !.

I make it four left to enter service 730201, 730202, 730204 & 730206. I include 730206 because it last carried passengers on 01/06/2026 (three months ago by the end of this weekend) !.
 

rogercov

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2019
Messages
277
Location
Coventry/London
I make it four left to enter service 730201, 730202, 730204 & 730206. I include 730206 because it last carried passengers on 01/06/2026 (three months ago by the end of this weekend) !.
730206 was dragged to Crewe T.M.D on 19th July and was dragged to Tyseley yesterday (29th Aug) by 37884:


Others that appear to be long-term out of service, last reported at Bletchley, are:
730210 - not heard of since incident on 9th May
730224 - not heard of since some kind of failure on 6th July

Does anyone have an update on either of these?
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,702
Location
Croydon
730206 was dragged to Crewe T.M.D on 19th July and was dragged to Tyseley yesterday (29th Aug) by 37884:


Others that appear to be long-term out of service, last reported at Bletchley, are:
730210 - not heard of since incident on 9th May
730224 - not heard of since some kind of failure on 6th July

Does anyone have an update on either of these?
Thanks, interesting.

Typical is the fact that I visit Crewe tomorrow !.
But it does look like progress for 730206.
I had no idea 730210 and 730224 have been out of action for so long.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Progress with 730206. LRR search for 730206 indicates it is currently (02/09/2026) on 5H70 12:10 Tyseley to Bletchley ?.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K03090/2026-09-02/detailed ECS and clue its loco hauled !.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Confirmed as 37884 + 730206 :-
37884 hauling 730206

.............
 
Last edited:

rogercov

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2019
Messages
277
Location
Coventry/London
730232 was last in service on 21st August and went to Soho on 28th August:

Yesterday (6th September) it was dragged to Tyseley by 37512:

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

730232 + 37512 reported to be returning to Bletchley today (9th Sep):

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

and 730212 + 37512 Bletchley to Gascoigne Wood on 8th Sept:
 
Last edited:

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,539
Location
Lichfield
Left work an hour early today and as a result managed to get an earlier train, a double 730 on the Trent Valley, it made a nice change to not travel home with an XC style overcrowded single 730!
 

43102EMR

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2021
Messages
1,373
Location
UK
Left work an hour early today and as a result managed to get an earlier train, a double 730 on the Trent Valley, it made a nice change to not travel home with an XC style overcrowded single 730!
The 730s have been a Godsend for the TVL stoppers, certainly beats cramming on to a pair of 350/2s!
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,539
Location
Lichfield
The 730s have been a Godsend for the TVL stoppers, certainly beats cramming on to a pair of 350/2s!

When doubled up, they are excellent.

When running as single 5 car sets, which a few diagrams are, not so great...
 

Omnishambles

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2019
Messages
214
Should all be booked 10, then in worst case a 5 turns up.
I suspect my diagram will become one of the ones that is short formed as part of the contingency plan if the fleet is light. Currently starts the day in bay 4 at Northampton behind 5N04 (also x5) which shunts for the 0503 EUS. Sure there will be a re-cast if they are both going to be doubles come the revolution
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,539
Location
Lichfield
True. These 3 units prob represent £15-20m of asset sat around unused, which is yet another example of how easily the railways waste ££.

Which presumably they are happy to accept, given that the rest of the fleet has been in service for 12 months already?
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,702
Location
Croydon
Which presumably they are happy to accept, given that the rest of the fleet has been in service for 12 months already?
I think 730206 and 730227 might be more recent BUT these three out of the first four are getting rather noticeable.

Which 730/2s started life being built as part of the order for 730/1s (iirc) ?.
Was it 730201, 730202 and 730204 by any chance ?.
 

sqwizz

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2024
Messages
95
Location
UK
I think 730206 and 730227 might be more recent BUT these three out of the first four are getting rather noticeable.

Which 730/2s started life being built as part of the order for 730/1s (iirc) ?.
Was it 730201, 730202 and 730204 by any chance ?.
There was a 730101, 730102 and 730103. (I'm not sure about 730104, there's a post on Flickr labelled as such but you can't see the number in the photo.)
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,539
Location
Lichfield
There was a 730101, 730102 and 730103. (I'm not sure about 730104, there's a post on Flickr labelled as such but you can't see the number in the photo.)

Interesting, I knew there was plans to build /1 units, but didn't realise it had actually happened, I assumed the idea was scrapped before the build commenced.

Were the units built as /1 actually fitted out internally as /1 or was the interior layout changed to the /2 layout before fitout?
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,702
Location
Croydon
Interesting, I knew there was plans to build /1 units, but didn't realise it had actually happened, I assumed the idea was scrapped before the build commenced.

Were the units built as /1 actually fitted out internally as /1 or was the interior layout changed to the /2 layout before fitout?
I believe three 730/1s were built. I think I recall them being referred to in visits to Dery Litchurch Lane. I cannot remember how far the internals got. Were they merely going to be three car versions of the 730/2s ?. Whatever they were like I suspect the differences were not great BUT I do wonder if they are to become 730201, 730202 and 720204 ?.

I am going to try to figure out their locations.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Looks like Derby LL on 01/08/2026 according to this :-

201/202/204 are definitely all at Derby. 730202 came over to Soho for only 2 days I think before it went straight back to Derby.
Cheers
Joel
With a short visit to Soho before.
 
Last edited:

CR165022

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2019
Messages
1,427
Location
Buckinghamshire
I believe three 730/1s were built. I think I recall them being referred to in visits to Dery Litchurch Lane. I cannot remember how far the internals got. Were they merely going to be three car versions of the 730/2s ?. Whatever they were like I suspect the differences were not great BUT I do wonder if they are to become 730201, 730202 and 720204 ?.
730101-103 were the ones built and are already 201-203. They were built as 5 cars from the start and I don't believe there was any interior differences, only the unit number
 

Top