• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 50’s over the Waverley Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
This month’s Railway Magazine states that there are records of class 50’s working over the Waverley Line before closure. Any details?
Did they work over the route during weekend wiring work on the wcml possibly? If so then it would've been a very short window of opportunity. Someone will know hopefully.
 

L+Y

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2011
Messages
502
Did they work over the route during weekend wiring work on the wcml possibly? If so then it would've been a very short window of opportunity. Someone will know hopefully.

No- WCML wiring of Crewe wasn't authorised until the beginning of 1970, IIRC.

That said, I'm sure that the accounts I've seen (can't remember where!) of 50s on the Waverley were WCML diverted workings.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
No- WCML wiring of Crewe wasn't authorised until the beginning of 1970, IIRC.

That said, I'm sure that the accounts I've seen (can't remember where!) of 50s on the Waverley were WCML diverted workings.
Thanks L+Y. I've seen a couple of different sources now that say numerous D400s (although not all of the class) worked over the route. Yet to see any photographic evidence, but it seems like they definitely did.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,163
Location
Elginshire
I had a look on Railscot.co.uk, which usually allows viewing of a slideshow of images at various locations. When I tried selecting Hawick, it didn't work, but after a bit of fiddling I managed to find this:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/46/919/

The following text is (c) RAILSCOT 2019.
D416 on the southern approach to Hawick station in 1968 with a diverted London Euston - Glasgow Central service.

For more, the web page is at: https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/46/919/
No re-use without permission. Attribution and a link is mandatory. Journalists must make contact for licensing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top