• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 158s - anybody else find them horrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
19 Apr 2011
Messages
129
yay! 142s north of the border bring it on! Shots line maybe? Or fife circle?

Far North line! Save me going to Blackpool for me thrilling rides :lol:

Never been on a Pacer but from what I gather they are fun and bounce like a bouncy castle finished in the finest M&S jelly!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Pacers and Fun in the same sentence? What on earth have you been taking, :lol:

I hope that Transport Scotland never sees a single Pacer north of the border, I'm happy with the existing stock they have - send the Pacers on a one way ticket to Iran - no returns accepted! <D
 

boing_uk

Member
Joined
18 May 2009
Messages
619
Location
Blackburn
I wonder if this class is due a replacement engine and transmission. Certainly some of Northerns fleet are quite leaky around the windows and others very lame - alot of noise for little motion.

Perhaps a "Mallard" style refurbishment - but retaining the seating design which is by far the best of any train I have travelled on in many recent years.
 

150222

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2011
Messages
1,002
I wonder if this class is due a replacement engine and transmission. Certainly some of Northerns fleet are quite leaky around the windows and others very lame - alot of noise for little motion.

Perhaps a "Mallard" style refurbishment - but retaining the seating design which is by far the best of any train I have travelled on in many recent years.



I hope your on about 158's not pacers ;)
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
One of the problems with the 158's is that, having become such a workhorse over the years, being capable of working just about anything from a local stopper to a long haul run, many of them have been run into the ground and are now sh*gged :-/ Only one or two TOC's - who we don't really need to name again! - keep theirs in tip top order, whilst most operators just run and run them. Sypmtomatic of our current train shortage I suppose...
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
shame, its needed - tried 4 seats other day til I found an unbroken one! If theyve not fallen to bits, the interior of these units must surely be a prioritty for the new franchise?
 

150001

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
492
The 158s are quiet, comfortable and when refurbished on the exterior they look pretty good. I've never liked the fronts but they are good medium distance trains and certainly do not vibrate or not shabby.
 

boing_uk

Member
Joined
18 May 2009
Messages
619
Location
Blackburn
The 158's do look much better with black cab window surrounds, i.e stagecoach and the former RRE livery. Wholly yellow ends just make them look... vom.

IMHO though of course.
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
On an entirely irrelevant note, there's something malevolent about the snarl of a Cummins NTA 855-R1. Maybe that's what puts me off 158s, they sound evil.
 

Eng274

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
796
On an entirely irrelevant note, there's something malevolent about the snarl of a Cummins NTA 855-R1. Maybe that's what puts me off 158s, they sound evil.

I actually find it a draw of the 158s <D i love the sound of their engines! throaty enough to be taken seriously, but not whiny like a Turbostar's MTU block.
 

thunderer08

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2011
Messages
10
Hi all,
Never had to bad an opinion of 158's till i went manchester to cardiff and return a couple of years ago, had a 175 on outward journey and was very impressed with the ride and legroom on the airline seat i was in, expected same on return journey but a 158 pulled in, found my prebooked airline seat and was shocked how much less legroom i had compaered to the 175. Much preferred the 175 for long distance journeys!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
ha
d what I think was an X Northern unit last night from stirling to Edinbvrgh - very cumfy seats, makes the NX Scotrail refurb seam even worse now!
 
Joined
19 Apr 2011
Messages
129
I seem to recall once seeing an EMT/SWT Cl158/9 (well it was in Stagecoach colours!) a while ago (early 2008) in Inverness, along with a white and purple (I think!) unbranded 158 (maybe 2009?).

Would the white-purple/blue be an ex NR?
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
I seem to recall once seeing an EMT/SWT Cl158/9 (well it was in Stagecoach colours!) a while ago (early 2008) in Inverness, along with a white and purple (I think!) unbranded 158 (maybe 2009?).

Would the white-purple/blue be an ex NR?

It would be a SWT 158 :)

Dunno about the other one
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
For my part I regularly do the trip from Lincoln to Nottingham, and for comfort and sheer quietness i have to say i prefer a 158 to a 156 or pair of 153's, also EMTs 156s and 153s look thier age with the interiors and the livery, where as thier 158s look like new units. I always find myself standing on the platform praying for a 158 I can have a nap then.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I seem to recall once seeing an EMT/SWT Cl158/9 (well it was in Stagecoach colours!) a while ago (early 2008) in Inverness, along with a white and purple (I think!) unbranded 158 (maybe 2009?).

If the unbranded one was dark blue with a white stripe most of the way along the roof, then it would be 158786.
If the stagecoach one was there at the same time, it would be 158789 (If at different times, it could be either 786 or 789)
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
The only 'decent' SuperSprinter refurb there has been is LM's 153 programme.

Which refurb was that? The pair of LM 153's currently on hire to FGW are in LM livery with retrimmed seats and PIS installed, but they're pretty nasty! No effort at doing anything else inside, they look fairly grotty TBH. Did LM do a more thorough refurb on some of the others?

Surely the best refurb by miles has to be SWT/EMT's 158/159's. They are amongst the most pleasant and comfortable units you'll find anywhere!
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
Surely the best refurb by miles has to be SWT/EMT's 158/159's. They are amongst the most pleasant and comfortable units you'll find anywhere!

Indeed, but aren't really part of the Super Sprinter family (as I found out some months ago), rather Express Sprinters.

I do have one minor gripe with SWT/EMT 158's. They are amazingly comfy, and finished to a lovely high standard but the seats are so thick and, well, sumptious that I find it a bit of a squeeze between the seat and the table! I'm not that tall, not fat (yet, better lay off the M&S milkshakes), yet it's still a bit of a squeeze. I don't know if the cushions are really thick or the tables a bit low.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Indeed, but aren't really part of the Super Sprinter family (as I found out some months ago), rather Express Sprinters.

Yeah, that did occur to me when replying, but I gathered it was intended to refer to Sprinters in general, unless we're being very specific! :D I'm still curious as to what the refurb was, I'd have thought FGW probably did the best job on a 153 fleet.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I actually find it a draw of the 158s <D i love the sound of their engines! throaty enough to be taken seriously, but not whiny like a Turbostar's MTU block.

Agreed! :D 158's must be the best DMU's for engine noises!
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Which refurb was that? The pair of LM 153's currently on hire to FGW are in LM livery with retrimmed seats and PIS installed, but they're pretty nasty! No effort at doing anything else inside, they look fairly grotty TBH. Did LM do a more thorough refurb on some of the others?

The PIS is crap as well. They ruined the 170 PIS as well :roll:
 
Joined
13 Jul 2010
Messages
104
Location
South London/Surrey
I love a good 158!

It is a shame they got removed from the transpennine route. Brings back many memories of hooking up with one at Manc Pic and then travelling to Uni in York.

I also love a 142 for the same reason, I use to travel on the mid-cheshire line quite frequently.

They may not be glamerous trains, but they sound good and do a good job given their age.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually, does anyone know where the transpennine ones are nowadays?
 
Joined
13 Jul 2010
Messages
104
Location
South London/Surrey
Says the following on wiki:

"In late 2004, TransPennine Express obtained further units from Central Trains, allowing the formation of six 3-car units, 158971-976"

Be great to know where these units ended up, would love another journey on one.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,803
Location
Central Belt
Says the following on wiki:

"In late 2004, TransPennine Express obtained further units from Central Trains, allowing the formation of six 3-car units, 158971-976"

Be great to know where these units ended up, would love another journey on one.


The were split back up into the 2 car units.

At the time there were a lot of 3 car units running around, CT had them, so did TPE.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Says the following on wiki:

"In late 2004, TransPennine Express obtained further units from Central Trains, allowing the formation of six 3-car units, 158971-976"

Be great to know where these units ended up, would love another journey on one.

The only 3 car 158s are First Great Western ones
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top