• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 150s in FGW livery up north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InterCity:125

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2018
Messages
352
Location
Bristol
Couple of months back I saw a class 150 in York (150127) in the FGW livery of blue body, pink doors but with out a TOCs name. Does anyone know why it was up north? Is it on loan to northern, and are there more 150s in FGWs livery?
 

Attachments

  • FD7C68F2-6A07-4AB6-8169-D287BEC4789C.jpeg
    FD7C68F2-6A07-4AB6-8169-D287BEC4789C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,716
Location
West Riding
It's part of the widely discussed stock transfers to Northern, for which there is a thread on here.

There is also at least one GWR green 153 and Scotrail 158's and 170's.
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Why aren’t they changed to northern colours or at least get the northern logo in vinyl?

Because they wanted to get the stock into service ASAP and capacity for refurbishment is limited.

Given that Northern still havn't got their logo onto the 321/322s, I doubt sticking it on the 150s is much of a priority.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
There was a 150 in FGW livery on the Mid-Cheshire line yesterday. I think trains are going being put in the new livery when they receive PRM mods.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
It's part of the widely discussed stock transfers to Northern, for which there is a thread on here.

There is also at least one GWR green 153 and Scotrail 158's and 170's.

There are 4 x GWR Green and 1 White one (153305 - Casper) with Northern
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Why aren’t they changed to northern colours or at least get the northern logo in vinyl?

They will be after receiving PRM mods or refurbishment.

Because they wanted to get the stock into service ASAP and capacity for refurbishment is limited.

Given that Northern still havn't got their logo onto the 321/322s, I doubt sticking it on the 150s is much of a priority.

The 321s and 322s aren't being retained, so they won't be receiving the new livery or logos.
 

InterCity:125

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2018
Messages
352
Location
Bristol
When I first saw 150127 in York in FGW livery I thought GWR were running stopping services up to York like they do down to Brighton.
 

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,274
When I first saw 150127 in York in FGW livery I thought GWR were running stopping services up to York like they do down to Brighton.

GWR have a Northern unit (150207?) down Bristol area although I'm yet to see that running some stopper to Westbury or Weston in Northern livery.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
When I first saw 150127 in York in FGW livery I thought GWR were running stopping services up to York like they do down to Brighton.

Surely the removal of the branding on the train is a sign that the unit has transferred and is not a GWR unit anymore. It's not exactly like Northern loaning an ATW 150 in full ATW branding or ATW loaning Northern 150s in full Northern branding - both of which have happened before.
 

InterCity:125

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2018
Messages
352
Location
Bristol
Surely the removal of the branding on the train is a sign that the unit has transferred and is not a GWR unit anymore. It's not exactly like Northern loaning an ATW 150 in full ATW branding or ATW loaning Northern 150s in full Northern branding - both of which have happened before.
GWR are in a process of transition from FGW so lots of their trains have mixed up liveries Vs insides so it isn’t too strange.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,530
Here are a couple of photos I have of 150207 when it did Cardiff - Portsmouth last week.

I quite like the livery with the temporary branding actually!

Northern GWR train 1.jpg Northern GWR train 2.jpg
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Here are a couple of photos I have of 150207 when it did Cardiff - Portsmouth last week.

I quite like the livery with the temporary branding actually!

View attachment 50841 View attachment 50842

I see the GWR passengers seem to have difficulty finding the luggage rack. I don't know how GWR managed to get an ex-FNW 150 in exchange for the mismatched 150/2 cars, someone at GWR must have excellent negotiation skills.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I see the GWR passengers seem to have difficulty finding the luggage rack. I don't know how GWR managed to get an ex-FNW 150 in exchange for the mismatched 150/2 cars, someone at GWR must have excellent negotiation skills.

I believe the 2 toiletless cars (150209) are to be used eventually to form 3 Car 150s so GWR received a "normal" 150 in return. It avoided the need for 150209 to undergo PRM Mods and currently it is running around attached to another 15x unit to enable toilet provision.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,851
I believe the 2 toiletless cars (150209) are to be used eventually to form 3 Car 150s so GWR received a "normal" 150 in return. It avoided the need for 150209 to undergo PRM Mods and currently it is running around attached to another 15x unit to enable toilet provision.
It still needs PRM mods - just not the toilet.
 

jimm

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2012
Messages
5,276
northern are supposed to be doing 3 car 150s when the time is right and 209/212 are going to be the middle cars with the cabs removed, but knowing northern anything could happen.

The cabs are not going to be removed - they will be sandwiched inside a two-car set in the same way that many 150/2 coaches used to be operated in the West Midlands until the Class 172s were delivered - and like all but one of GWR's current 'three-car' Class 158s.

See the sixth picture (not mine) down this page http://www.miac.org.uk/stourbridgejunction3.html
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
The cabs are not going to be removed - they will be sandwiched inside a two-car set in the same way that many 150/2 coaches used to be operated in the West Midlands until the Class 172s were delivered - and like all but one of GWR's current 'three-car' Class 158s.

See the sixth picture (not mine) down this page http://www.miac.org.uk/stourbridgejunction3.html

The additional Cars forming the GWR 158/9s (except 798) are not sandwiched, are they ? They are bolted on the end of a 2 Car
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I believe the 2 toiletless cars (150209) are to be used eventually to form 3 Car 150s so GWR received a "normal" 150 in return. It avoided the need for 150209 to undergo PRM Mods and currently it is running around attached to another 15x unit to enable toilet provision.

I'm aware it was a swap and I'm aware of Northern's plans to form 3 car hybrids. I'm also aware it makes no sense for GWR to press ahead with the original plans of fitting a new toilet to the mismatched /2 cars while Northern plan to create 3 car hybrids with one toilet. What I don't get is why GWR got one of the ones which is fitted with 3+2 Chapman seating opposed to one of the ones with (what I think is inferior) 3+2 Ashbourne seating, especially considering GWR's other 150s either have 2+2 Chapman or 3+2 Ashbourne making it different to all the other 150s GWR have.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
The cabs are not going to be removed - they will be sandwiched inside a two-car set in the same way that many 150/2 coaches used to be operated in the West Midlands until the Class 172s were delivered - and like all but one of GWR's current 'three-car' Class 158s.

An option to remove the middle cabs was looked at but I think it's been dismissed. Apart from the mismatched /2 cars the Midlands 150s were ready to convert back to 2 car at any time, Northern's won't be as none of the /2 centre cars will have toilets fitted, plus they'll be scrap by the time Northern have finished with them.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,530
I see the GWR passengers seem to have difficulty finding the luggage rack. I don't know how GWR managed to get an ex-FNW 150 in exchange for the mismatched 150/2 cars, someone at GWR must have excellent negotiation skills.
Indeed, GWR 150s (well, apart from this one) aren't fitted with luggage racks so the luggage usually finds its way to the door areas. Especially on longer distance services like Gloucester - Weymouth or Cardiff - Portsmouth/Brighton or the long distance Bristol/Devon - Cornwall services.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
I see the GWR passengers seem to have difficulty finding the luggage rack. I don't know how GWR managed to get an ex-FNW 150 in exchange for the mismatched 150/2 cars, someone at GWR must have excellent negotiation skills.

207 is pretty rank inside, i'm not so sure!
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
207 is pretty rank inside, i'm not so sure!

Give it the PRM mods, a deep clean, repaint and new seat covers and it'll be fine. The same can't be said for the ex-LM 150s! I hope you weren't expecting one that had already had the PRM mods and an internal refresh given Northern are behind with their refurbishments due to GWR releasing 150s late.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
Give it the PRM mods, a deep clean, repaint and new seat covers and it'll be fine. The same can't be said for the ex-LM 150s! I hope you weren't expecting one that had already had the PRM mods and an internal refresh given Northern are behind with their refurbishments due to GWR releasing 150s late.

Agreed - but all the same work that was required to 57209 and 57212 - the 2 centre cars. I'll be honest I don't understand what swapping a 150/2 requiring PRM mods with 2 carriages that can make a 150/2 once having PRM mods achieves, although I suppose in the former case it's usable a lot sooner.

The 3+2 seating will be changed too.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,530
Was the first photo taken in Trowbridge by any chance, looks it? I bet the locals were suprised when that rolled in.
The first photo was Bath Spa, the second was Trowbridge. I think the regulars were more shocked that a 5-car train turned up, between you and me :lol: (coupled to a 3-car 158)
 

jimm

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2012
Messages
5,276
The additional Cars forming the GWR 158/9s (except 798) are not sandwiched, are they ? They are bolted on the end of a 2 Car

Does it matter what's holding such formations together? At the end of the day, if one of the trio has a fault, I assume Northern will be doing just the same other TOCs and send out the working pair, whichever set they theoretically belong to.

Agreed - but all the same work that was required to 57209 and 57212 - the 2 centre cars. I'll be honest I don't understand what swapping a 150/2 requiring PRM mods with 2 carriages that can make a 150/2 once having PRM mods achieves, although I suppose in the former case it's usable a lot sooner.

GWR and the ROSCO looked at what would be involved in fitting a toilet in a coach that had never had one, thus lacked a water tank, etc, and decided it was a tad on the expensive side - fortunately Northern's plan to create 3-car 150 formations seems to have come to the rescue, hence the swap deal to keep down the costs of getting the various coaches smartened up and PRM-compliant for a few more years of life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top