• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapham Junction - London Bridge via Tulse Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
That is utter tosh. Season tickets are valid for any intermediate journey, and all TOC staff should know that full well.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
John Ferry of Southern Customer Services needs a refresher course or maybe a meeting sans café.
 

big_dirt

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2011
Messages
162
Update:

In response to the reply from Southern on Page 2 of this thread I sent them back:

John,

If I may refer you to the Southern website http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/season-tickets/ it states quite clearly

"It may be used at intermediate stations, and on any permitted route, unless a route or any other restrictions are specified on the ticket."

Therefore it would appear that season tickets are not specific between point A and B, as you suggest.

The ATOC in their routing guide have Clapham Junction, Streatham Hill, Tulse Hill and London Bridge all within map LB which would suggest that a season ticket from Clapham Junction to London Bridge should be valid to travel from Tulse Hill ref:
http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-settlement-plan/routeing-guide

Can you confirm if a season ticket from Clapham Junction to London Bridge can be used for a journey from Tulse Hill to London Bridge?

That was on 12th March and yesterday I got:

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for contacting Southern about the validity of your season ticket to travel from Tulse Hill.

Unless the season ticket says it can only be used on a specific Train Company, it is valid on all Train Company services on the route and within the zones for which the ticket is issued.

Having investigated the routing guiselines I can confirm it will be possible for you to travel from Tulse Hill, as it is located on the relevant routing map.

If you have any further queries or requests you wish to make, please contact our customer services team on 08451 27 29 20, where our Bristol based agents will be more than happy to assist and support in any way we can.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

Marcin Balawender
Southern Customer Services
Telephone: 08451 27 29 20
Fax: 08451 27 29 30
E-mail: comments@southernrailway.com


Now the big question is, armed with the above email, should I attempt to make this journey using a monthly from Clapham Junction to London Bridge?

I'd be happier with a letter from them rather than an email.

What are peoples' opinions?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
You don't need an email from a TOC to permit you to use a permitted route. But having one and being ready to hand it over if challenged will probably make things easier.

Congratulations to Mr. Balawender for getting the answer right!
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Congratulations to Southern for getting it right. I would say if you use said routeing, you will probably be questioned but a copy of the email and/or the relevent extracts from the routeing guide should see you fine.
I wonder whether the routeing guide or the routeing on the ticket will be changed. It would be quite easy to make the ticket route Vauxhall/Battersea Park. We shall see.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I wonder whether the routeing guide or the routeing on the ticket will be changed. It would be quite easy to make the ticket route Vauxhall/Battersea Park. We shall see.

Since there's a half-hourly direct service between CLJ and LBG (via Crystal Palace), that would seem a bit draconian!

There could though be an easement to "relax the rules for certain routes" so as to "improve connections" by forbidding it.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Since there's a half-hourly direct service between CLJ and LBG (via Crystal Palace), that would seem a bit draconian!

There could though be an easement to "relax the rules for certain routes" so as to "improve connections" by forbidding it.

I'm not sure that the direct service would be of use to the OP though.
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
I've been kicking around the idea that CJ loses its routing point status and becomes associated with London Group. Does that fix it? I can imagine the can of worms that opens though
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I don't think they can do that; it makes a hash of the trains from MKC-KPA-SRS.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I'm not sure that the direct service would be of use to the OP though.

Not unless they go down the road to West Norwood – my comment was that slapping a ‘Vauxhall/Battersea Park’ routeing on CLJ-LBG tickets would mean that the direct trains would be off-limits, which would be rather confusing for passengers.

I don't think they can do that; it makes a hash of the trains from MKC-KPA-SRS.

Not to mention scores of other flows for which “Not London” fares exist!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top