• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Apprentice Train Driver - Marylebone, Aylesbury and Birmingham (20/09/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeNoob

New Member
Joined
28 Dec 2020
Messages
2
Location
Birmingham
Ive just completed the VSE, was i supposed to get a pass or fail score? As ive not recieved it yet I feel like i could have done alot better on it made so many errors.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrsanda

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
39
Location
London
Ive just completed the VSE, was i supposed to get a pass or fail score? As ive not recieved it yet I feel like i could have done alot better on it made so many errors.
You’ll get an email about whether or not you passed maybe in a couple of weeks, could be even longer though
 

crt-crt

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2021
Messages
52
Location
Birmingham
Ive just completed the VSE, was i supposed to get a pass or fail score? As ive not recieved it yet I feel like i could have done alot better on it made so many errors.
On the VSE does it let you know whether you made an error when you click “no errors” or “Error” so soon as you click it you’ll know whether you get it right or wrong instantly? before the next set of signals appear?
 

adrsanda

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
39
Location
London
On the VSE does it let you know whether you made an error when you click “no errors” or “Error” so soon as you click it you’ll know whether you get it right or wrong instantly? before the next set of signals appear?
Yeah it will tell you if you got it correct or incorrect
 

Brum_AVFC

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2020
Messages
119
Location
Solihull
If it's with the same company and within 6 months you shouldn't have to retake it, although you're cutting it very close to 6 months :D
You’d think so, hopefully I hear back from them before deadlines passed for this one. Thanks for the info
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
WHat did you have to do in the test please? Was it hard?

Dear me. If you scroll back to just the previous page, this question has been answered. Applicants would do well to try to show a little initiative as it's one of the things that will be tested at interview, if not before.
 

dalaw

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
46
WHat did you have to do in the test please? Was it hard?
You’ll be following a dot along a track, and will have to click whenever something other than the usual pattern occurs, you’ll also have to multitask, by simultaneously watching a table of changing symbols, and confirming whether they match or not.

You’ll need to be in a place with zero distractions whilst completing the VSE, and be able to maintain your concentration for a prolonged (unknown) period. Good luck!
Kourblimey kindly wrote this info… good luck!
 

niceman

Member
Joined
8 May 2022
Messages
46
Location
Stafford
You’ll be following a dot along a track, and will have to click whenever something other than the usual pattern occurs, you’ll also have to multitask, by simultaneously watching a table of changing symbols, and confirming whether they match or not.

You’ll need to be in a place with zero distractions whilst completing the VSE, and be able to maintain your concentration for a prolonged (unknown) period. Good luck!
Brill thanks. Is this picture similar to the test you refer to?
 

Attachments

  • 20241027_143817.jpg
    20241027_143817.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 60

Hamna

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2023
Messages
76
Location
London
Hey everyone I have completed my VSE but I think so that I didn’t made it because test 1 and 2 are amazing but the third one is little messy when there’s speedy one with error checking, I missed some errors because I concentrated most on the train tracking error rather than other let’s see what happened next but I have feeling that I’ll not be selected for further tests.
How’s your everyone?
 

Neatro

Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
536
Location
Birmingham
Hey everyone I have completed my VSE but I think so that I didn’t made it because test 1 and 2 are amazing but the third one is little messy when there’s speedy one with error checking, I missed some errors because I concentrated most on the train tracking error rather than other let’s see what happened next but I have feeling that I’ll not be selected for further tests.
How’s your everyone?
I've still not had anything come through yet, but I did it a couple years ago with Avanti, if it's anything like then, I think I made 2-3 errors on part 2 and maybe 7-9 on part 3.

Edit: I forgot to say, I passed then. So I don't think the pass is getting 100% but I don't know what the criteria is.

You're supposed to concentrate on what's happening on the track over the in cab signalling, but the third one is supposed to be difficult, it's not so you get 100%.
 
Last edited:

Brum_AVFC

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2020
Messages
119
Location
Solihull
If it's with the same company and within 6 months you shouldn't have to retake it, although you're cutting it very close to 6 months :D
“Hi ****



As it will need to be date when going onto training course it will need to be sat again. These online tests are only valid for 6 months.



Thanks



Michelle


That’s why I’ve got to do it again, even though I’m within 6 months of passing, it won’t be when it comes to start of training course. Fair enough! Maybe worth knowing moving forward.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Thanks. Did you have to click no when they were not all paired up and yes when they were all paired up?

Were there no instructions included with the test? Seems like you want to know all the answers before taking the VSE. Just be aware that recruiting managers frequently monitor these pages...
 

Hamna

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2023
Messages
76
Location
London
I've still not had anything come through yet, but I did it a couple years ago with Avanti, if it's anything like then, I think I made 2-3 errors on part 2 and maybe 7-9 on part 3.

Edit: I forgot to say, I passed then. So I don't think the pass is getting 100% but I don't know what the criteria is.

You're supposed to concentrate on what's happening on the track over the in cab signalling, but the third one is supposed to be difficult, it's not so you get 100%.
Oh thank you so it’s quite a relief hopefully I’ll pass it too and proceed next ☺️

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks. Did you have to click no when they were not all paired up and yes when they were all paired up?
Before every test there are some practice exercises so it’ll give you idea what the test it and it’s on you that how many times you want to do that exercises when you feel confident than you can proceed and do test but mostly they said 60 minutes for this test I’m not pretty sure about it that is the time fixed or not?
 

OneTrackMind

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
102
The advert for Aylesbury, which is linked to the original applications everyone has made, has gone back up but this time says it’s for April 2025. Not confusing at all…
 

meganeasx

New Member
Joined
29 Oct 2024
Messages
3
Location
aylesbury
Has anyone who applied in October for the February start in Aylesbury heard back? Accepted or declined? Have just tried to apply for the April one and it states that I have already applied for the role so assuming my application has been transferred over
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Has anyone who applied in October for the February start in Aylesbury heard back? Accepted or declined? Have just tried to apply for the April one and it states that I have already applied for the role so assuming my application has been transferred over

If you’ve applied for the February course already, why did you try to apply for the April start too? And why would your application have been ‘transferred over’ without you being informed?
 

OneTrackMind

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
102
If you’ve applied for the February course already, why did you try to apply for the April start too? And why would your application have been ‘transferred over’ without you being informed?
This was kind of my point earlier on. In “Your Applications” if you click on the submitted one for February, it actually now links through to the advert for April. It’s all very odd.
 

dotcomma

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2021
Messages
10
Location
london
Hey everyone I have completed my VSE but I think so that I didn’t made it because test 1 and 2 are amazing but the third one is little messy when there’s speedy one with error checking, I missed some errors because I concentrated most on the train tracking error rather than other let’s see what happened next but I have feeling that I’ll not be selected for further tests.
How’s your everyone?
Best bet would be to take it anyway. If you pass no problem. If you happen to fail then let them know you still have a previous valid Pass
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top