• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Apprentice Train Driver - Marylebone, Aylesbury and Birmingham (20/09/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InkyScrolls

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
1,463
Location
North of England
This means that the industry is going to lose a huge wealth of experience and that “old lot” when they do decide to go, will be a massive loss to the newer drivers stepping into the grade. I would hope to hold onto them for as long as possible, and recommend any drivers in training or new to the industry to keep them close so that they can continue to be a fountain of knowledge and brilliant anecdotes for all to learn from!
I second this absolutely. I'm a young driver at a relatively 'chronologically advantaged' depot and the experience of the older drivers, some of whom have been driving since the early eighties, is invaluable.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jc321

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2024
Messages
56
Location
London
I second this absolutely. I'm a young driver at a relatively 'chronologically advantaged' depot and the experience of the older drivers, some of whom have been driving since the early eighties, is invaluable.
Are you with Chiltern?
 

michbridie

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2023
Messages
25
Location
Aylesbury
No, I applied for the London deport
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at my application and I does says selected applications have been emailed.
Seems strange as I got further last time when I had an office job. I’m in a safety critical role now and no email!! Who knows what they are looking for from applicants.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is says on the website that selected applicants have been emailed. Has anyone else received
this?
I’ve just realised that we may have read that message incorrectly. When I logged in to review my application, it came up with this message.
When I logged into my email to check, I realised that they have emailed me a copy of my application and that’s what the message is confirming.
Don’t give up hope just yet!!
 
Last edited:

HeelBurton

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2014
Messages
451
Location
Wembley
So the new rates of pay for trainees looks to sit at

31,600
34,436 after completion of rules

Effective from tomorrow.
 

Ryder

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2016
Messages
27
Can anyone confirm they’ve received an email after applying for Birmingham?
Hi,

I’ve received an email notifying me of VSE. But I’m still waiting for the OPC email to instruct me on what to do..:this was for Birmingham. I’ve only got the VSE notification today.

The deadline for completion is 1st November, so the OPC need to be speedy with sending the details through.
 
Last edited:

dalaw

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
46
Hi,

I’ve received an email notifying me of VSE. But I’m still waiting for the OPC email to instruct me on what to do..:this was for Birmingham. I’ve only got the VSE notification today.

The deadline for completion is 1st November, so the OPC need to be speedy with sending the details through.
I received vse notification last Friday (for London) then OPC sent the link on monday.
I need to complete it by tomorrow. Can anybody on here give me a heads up on what to expect/look out for on the vse as I’ve never faced one before?
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Did they not send you any practice material with the link? I'm also wondering why you've left it until the day before it has to be competed to ask this question on the forum...
 

dalaw

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
46
Yes, unfortunately life got in the way. I’m sure when I log in to OPC they’ll be the usual practise example but I was just hoping that maybe someone may be kind enough to let me know what to look out for if they’ve previously done the vse.
 

Brum_AVFC

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2020
Messages
119
Location
Solihull
I’ve been invited to do a VSE, when I’ve already passed one with Chiltern back in April, my application back then was put on hold due to a high pass rate. Emailed them to notify of this. Anyone else in the same boat?
 

kourblimey

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2024
Messages
45
Location
London
Can anybody on here give me a heads up on what to expect/look out for on the vse as I’ve never faced one before?
You’ll be following a dot along a track, and will have to click whenever something other than the usual pattern occurs, you’ll also have to multitask, by simultaneously watching a table of changing symbols, and confirming whether they match or not.

You’ll need to be in a place with zero distractions whilst completing the VSE, and be able to maintain your concentration for a prolonged (unknown) period. Good luck!
 

dalaw

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
46
You’ll be following a dot along a track, and will have to click whenever something other than the usual pattern occurs, you’ll also have to multitask, by simultaneously watching a table of changing symbols, and confirming whether they match or not.

You’ll need to be in a place with zero distractions whilst completing the VSE, and be able to maintain your concentration for a prolonged (unknown) period. Good luck!
Thank you very much for the info. very helpful!
 

Neatro

Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
536
Location
Birmingham
Is the VSE the type of test you have to do every application that has it, or is it a similar test to the main assessments that are on file for X years?
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Is the VSE the type of test you have to do every application that has it, or is it a similar test to the main assessments that are on file for X years?

If you've passed the VSE already, you shouldn't have to take it again. Not all TOCs require the VSE though.
 

Ryder

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2016
Messages
27
I received vse notification last Friday (for London) then OPC sent the link on monday.
I need to complete it by tomorrow. Can anybody on here give me a heads up on what to expect/look out for on the vse as I’ve never faced one before?

I am told that I am to expect the VSE link tomorrow and have until 1st November to complete. They've said to keep an eye on junk folder within emails, so I would recommend anyone on here to keep an eye in that folder if you're waiting for the link.
 

TomH1994

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2024
Messages
108
Location
Luton
My application is showing current stage with nothing else underneath it. Is anyone else’s showing the same?
 

crt-crt

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2021
Messages
52
Location
Birmingham
What depot did you apply for?
My application is showing current stage with nothing else underneath it. Is anyone else’s showing the same?
What depot did you apply for? Birmingham applicant stages got updated Today to VSE stage and I believe it was the same for Aylesbury couple days ago.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top