• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern - Apprentice Train Driver - Marylebone, Aylesbury and Birmingham (20/09/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
I'm genuinely surprised at how long the Aylesbury and Birmingham adverts have been up now.

Not that surprising given an ageing workforce and the requirement to replace those drivers coming up to retirement
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OneTrackMind

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
102
It was more that normally there are so many applications the adverts disappear within 72 hours - these have been up for nearly two weeks, which makes me wonder about the volume of (suitable) applications. Would be interested to know how many drivers they are looking for at each depot. For a course in February 2025, what's the normal size? 10 drivers?
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
It was more that normally there are so many applications the adverts disappear within 72 hours - these have been up for nearly two weeks, which makes me wonder about the volume of (suitable) applications. Would be interested to know how many drivers they are looking for at each depot. For a course in February 2025, what's the normal size? 10 drivers?

Courses this year have generally been a maximum of ten drivers although I believe future driving schools might be slightly smaller.
 

Ryder

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2016
Messages
27
Hi Guys,

I just applied as well, fingers crossed for everyone who has submitted an application so far. I have a few observations from reading the Chiltern vacancy details, I was wondering if anyone could offer some comment, maybe someone who has recently been through the process?

The application form seemed very short, no real competency questions. Is that standard? I know its a February course so I would assume they are streamlining their process this year?

The process says > Rules & Safety testing > Interviews > Medical; I assume the rules and safety testing is the assessment centre? Does anyone know where I can get practice material for this?

Thank You :)
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Hi Guys,

I just applied as well, fingers crossed for everyone who has submitted an application so far. I have a few observations from reading the Chiltern vacancy details, I was wondering if anyone could offer some comment, maybe someone who has recently been through the process?

The application form seemed very short, no real competency questions. Is that standard? I know its a February course so I would assume they are streamlining their process this year?

The process says > Rules & Safety testing > Interviews > Medical; I assume the rules and safety testing is the assessment centre? Does anyone know where I can get practice material for this?

Thank You :)

The competency questions will come after initial application, before the psychometric testing if you get that far.

There is plenty of good advice on this forum about how to prepare for the OPC assessment if you are prepared to take some time searching, as this question gets asked very frequently.
 

niceman

Member
Joined
8 May 2022
Messages
46
Location
Stafford
Hi all.
I've been through all the tests and mmi with a different toc last year. I failed at the DMI.
Can these previous assessments and MMI be used if I applied for another company such as this one?

Thanks
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Hi all.
I've been through all the tests and mmi with a different toc last year. I failed at the DMI.
Can these previous assessments and MMI be used if I applied for another company such as this one?

Thanks

Your passes are valid for five years however bear in mind that only the tests you have taken are valid and any additional / different tests that another TOC uses will need to be taken as well.
 

niceman

Member
Joined
8 May 2022
Messages
46
Location
Stafford
Your passes are valid for five years however bear in mind that only the tests you have taken are valid and any additional / different tests that another TOC uses will need to be taken as well.
That's good to hear. I'm guessing I would declare this on the application form? Do I just continue to apply as everyone else does?

Do I need to get the evidence from previous TOC ?

Thanks
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
That's good to hear. I'm guessing I would declare this on the application form? Do I just continue to apply as everyone else does?

Do I need to get the evidence from previous TOC ?

Thanks

It should be declared on the form although OPC will hold records of your previous passes so that should accelerate your process through the system to a certain extent. Normally those that already hold all the necessary test passes would go straight through to DMI.
 

niceman

Member
Joined
8 May 2022
Messages
46
Location
Stafford
It should be declared on the form although OPC will hold records of your previous passes so that should accelerate your process through the system to a certain extent. Normally those that already hold all the necessary test passes would go straight through to DMI.
Thanks.
But they would still want a CV plus application form?
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Thanks.
But they would still want a CV plus application form?

Yes of course. You still need to go through the recruitment process and pass it. If for example you didn't live within 45 minutes commute of your chosen depot, you'd be binned off in the first sift.
 

niceman

Member
Joined
8 May 2022
Messages
46
Location
Stafford
Yes of course. You still need to go through the recruitment process and pass it. If for example you didn't live within 45 minutes commute of your chosen depot, you'd be binned off in the first sift.
Thanks.

I do have 2 more questions if you mind giving your thoughts.

With reference to the distance.
How do they measure 45 minutes?
Car drive? What about heavy v light traffic?


2nd question. I see many people apply for many TOC's. Do they move around so they are within location? Could you move closer just so you could apply for a certain TOC? For example book rented accommodation!

Thanks
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Thanks.

I do have 2 more questions if you mind giving your thoughts.

With reference to the distance.
How do they measure 45 minutes?
Car drive? What about heavy v light traffic?


2nd question. I see many people apply for many TOC's. Do they move around so they are within location? Could you move closer just so you could apply for a certain TOC? For example book rented accommodation!

Thanks

Yes car drive of course - not too many buses running at 4am. 45 minutes should be longest commute in heavy traffic although there is a little flexibility.

You would just need an address on date of application within the catchment area - promises to relocate are not taken into account.
 

OneTrackMind

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
102
2.5 weeks the adverts have been up now, never known anything like it. Do you think all the negative press (pay increases) have put off many of the wider public applying? Really wouldn’t expect them to be short of applicants for either depots and to get everyone in position for February (with notice periods etc.) they are going to need to be speedy.
 

HeelBurton

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2014
Messages
451
Location
Wembley
2.5 weeks the adverts have been up now, never known anything like it. Do you think all the negative press (pay increases) have put off many of the wider public applying? Really wouldn’t expect them to be short of applicants for either depots and to get everyone in position for February (with notice periods etc.) they are going to need to be speedy.
February isn’t the only course happening next year. With a large number of staff either moving onto other positions within the business and retiring, 3 courses this year tailored to EWR only, I suspected these adverts would be up for an extended period, especially for Birmingham, which have not recruited this year
 

Brum_AVFC

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2020
Messages
119
Location
Solihull
My mates a train driver and reckons a lot of the “old lot” were hanging on for the pay rise before retiring.
 

PLY2AYS

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2024
Messages
518
Location
Montserrat
My mates a train driver and reckons a lot of the “old lot” were hanging on for the pay rise before retiring.
I think there is a degree of drivers at retirement age, being very savvy about their financial situation. Yes.

But don’t forget, that 40% of the driving grade is close to being within that bracket.

This means that the industry is going to lose a huge wealth of experience and that “old lot” when they do decide to go, will be a massive loss to the newer drivers stepping into the grade. I would hope to hold onto them for as long as possible, and recommend any drivers in training or new to the industry to keep them close so that they can continue to be a fountain of knowledge and brilliant anecdotes for all to learn from!
 

Hamna

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2023
Messages
76
Location
London
Hey everyone just want to know that did anyone hear back anything from any depot?? Marylebone or Aylesbury
 

Locomok

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2024
Messages
39
Location
Herts
Waiting for more applicants from any background bar white men?

It's a genuine question.
 

Locomok

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2024
Messages
39
Location
Herts
Thanks for replying. We know that as it's policy now.

I was more replying as to why the job adverts were still up
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,910
Location
London
Thanks for replying. We know that as it's policy now.

I was more replying as to why the job adverts were still up
Only Aylesbury is up. Also it doesn't state a due date for closure so they've yet to reach the specfic metrics required for closure, quite simply.
 

crt-crt

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2021
Messages
52
Location
Birmingham
What does it say in the ”current stage“ for all your applications? Mine is empty with nothing stated there. Applied for Birmingham.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 48

PaulRay

On Moderation
Joined
19 Feb 2023
Messages
22
Location
Stourbridge
I’ve just looked again, Aylesbury post is still up but the Birmingham vacancy is no longer there..
I spoke to someone who has recently joined Chiltern and they said it took around 6-8 weeks to hear back from the initial application
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top