• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route excess - HS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
If I buy a Liverpool-Dover SOR routed +Any Permitted with a PRIV costing £88.25, I am not permitted to use HS1 until after 10:00 (due to discount restriction).

How is the excess calculated for an excess to public fare in one direction only, and only between London and Dover via HS1?

Obviously you just buy a public London-Dover SDS for £35.90, but is there any cheaper way to make the original LIV-DVP valid on HS1 other than buying a new public ticket?
You ask a good question, but you will be okay with this ticket when travelling Liverpool - Dover before 10am, as the 09.59 restriction only applies on trains going INTO London, or passengers travelling to Stratford only.

Of course your question is still valid for the evening peak restrictions or for the return trip which you may want to start in order to arrive at St Pancakes before 09.59.

In addition, restrictions only apply between St Pancakes and Ashford/Gravesend, so you could presumably resume buy a normal rate ticket to Ashford.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
It depends on whether you treat it as a change of route excess, or a change of ticket type excess. I am inclined towards the latter, as the ticket is valid by that route but not at that time, which would make it the full difference of £264.75. That said, I don't think there are any examples where you wouldn't just pay the public fare, so it's hypothetical.
The answer is simple "neither"!

In both calculations the price is greater than £26.00, therefore you charge £26.00.

Why £26? That's the full-fare non-discounted Anytime for the full portion of the journey that occurs on HS1 (ie, Ashford Intl - London Terminals).

Excesses are NOT applicable when a new ticket is cheaper!
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
As First Class had alread alluded to. I'm thinking more hypothetically, if there were to be a case in which the excess (by either or both methods) would come to less than the new ticket.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
As First Class had alread alluded to. I'm thinking more hypothetically, if there were to be a case in which the excess (by either or both methods) would come to less than the new ticket.
OK, well you say "the ticket is valid by that route but not at that time," but I can say "the ticket is valid at that time but not on that route". ;)

However, I am not going to use that as justification to say it's a change of route excess. To be logical*, it's neither, really. It's a change of discount.

Change of discount excesses seem to be surrounded in mystery. I know they are possible. I've had one myself. But I don't know the rules of them, or what they are officially called!

It's not a change of ticket type excess (they are both Anytime), and it's not a change of route excess (they are both + Any Permitted), surely?

* But the rules on railway ticketing are often illogical...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top