I bought an advanced ticket from the LNER website for a journey from Peterborough to York, on 29th April 2023, leaving Peterborough at 18.18. Due to a change in circumstances I amended the ticket to Peterborough to York, on 29th April 2023, leaving Peterborough at 19.18.
As it turned out I got to Peterborough station just after 18.00. I wanted to ask if I could get on the 18.18 so I went to the ticket office and asked the lady behind the counter. (I have asked for CCTV of this but have not received anything back yet.) She said she saw no reason why not and said, “You have paid for the journey”. She then asked if I had a reservation, I showed her my ticket and she gave me a new seat reservation for the 18.18.
When the guard came and checked my ticket, he told me I was on the wrong train. I told him what I had done (above) and showed him the seat reservation I had been given. He said that this was not valid for travel. I reaffirmed that I had sought clarification on whether I could travel on the 18.18 from a LNER representative and that the seat reservation was evidence that they had said I could, (they would not have issued me with a seat reservation if they though my ticket was not valid). The guard just repeated that it was not valid for travel, and I would have to buy a new ticket. I said I was not going to do this (I had been told I was allowed to travel by and LNER employee, so felt my ticket was valid). He then asked for ID which I gave, and he issued the Unpaid Fare Notice.
I have appealed which has been rejected, stating the ticket was not valid. but they have reduced the amount I owe from £61 to £22. Although this is the letter of the law I feel it is unjust because I was acting on information from an LNER authority.
So what to do. Do people with more knowledge of this think I have a case?
Having read similar posts the advice is pay the notice before they add on admin charges and the total gets bigger. But if I do this I have no way of challenging what I feel is an injustice. Could I pay the fine, stating that I dispute the charge, and then take LNER to small claims court, or if I have case should I leave it and let them take me to court. I know it all seems a bit over the top for what is now £20 but I was so enraged that I have difficulty letting it go.
Any advice greatly received.
Rich
As it turned out I got to Peterborough station just after 18.00. I wanted to ask if I could get on the 18.18 so I went to the ticket office and asked the lady behind the counter. (I have asked for CCTV of this but have not received anything back yet.) She said she saw no reason why not and said, “You have paid for the journey”. She then asked if I had a reservation, I showed her my ticket and she gave me a new seat reservation for the 18.18.
When the guard came and checked my ticket, he told me I was on the wrong train. I told him what I had done (above) and showed him the seat reservation I had been given. He said that this was not valid for travel. I reaffirmed that I had sought clarification on whether I could travel on the 18.18 from a LNER representative and that the seat reservation was evidence that they had said I could, (they would not have issued me with a seat reservation if they though my ticket was not valid). The guard just repeated that it was not valid for travel, and I would have to buy a new ticket. I said I was not going to do this (I had been told I was allowed to travel by and LNER employee, so felt my ticket was valid). He then asked for ID which I gave, and he issued the Unpaid Fare Notice.
I have appealed which has been rejected, stating the ticket was not valid. but they have reduced the amount I owe from £61 to £22. Although this is the letter of the law I feel it is unjust because I was acting on information from an LNER authority.
So what to do. Do people with more knowledge of this think I have a case?
Having read similar posts the advice is pay the notice before they add on admin charges and the total gets bigger. But if I do this I have no way of challenging what I feel is an injustice. Could I pay the fine, stating that I dispute the charge, and then take LNER to small claims court, or if I have case should I leave it and let them take me to court. I know it all seems a bit over the top for what is now £20 but I was so enraged that I have difficulty letting it go.
Any advice greatly received.
Rich