• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can you take viagra and not declare it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ninhog

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2016
Messages
169
I wondered if anyone would notice it

Gee whiz I just spat my beer out! Bravo! :lol::lol:

I once got pulled up on a medical for having traces of Viagra in my blood but it was ok once I explained it was from some eye drops I’d been taking.

I wanted to look hard.
 

DanDaDriver

Member
Joined
5 May 2018
Messages
338
The penalty for failing a drugs test is quite stiff and it would be hard to get a job at another TOC. Even if you pass, failing to declare medication catches you between a rock and a hard place.

My TOC takes a hard line on this and you will lose your job. I would recommend 'your friend' is straight up about this.

I tip my hat to you Sir.
 
Joined
11 Sep 2016
Messages
333
Location
...
The penalty for failing a drugs test is quite stiff and it would be hard to get a job at another TOC. Even if you pass, failing to declare medication catches you between a rock and a hard place.

My TOC takes a hard line on this and you will lose your job. I would recommend 'your friend' is straight up about this.

This happened to me, I was then suspended and eventually dismissed. You may have seen my thread about this in January but it was deleted by the leadership of the forum as it contained too many sensitive informations.
I was warned not to discus these again here and have learned so I will not write about these details again.

But do you know if the data protection laws in England prevent the train operating companies from sharing infos about failed medical screenings und if personnel offices share infos to operate a kind of so called „BLACK LIST“?

Many thanks.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
But do you know if the data protection laws in England prevent the train operating companies from sharing infos about failed medical screenings

It is complicated. They can not specifically give away your information or specifically share it. What they can't do is send your information to other TOCs or have it widely available.

What will happen is that the new TOC will request your Safety of the Line record and employee record. They are allowed to share that and would be allowed to share the reason why you were terminated. The Data Protection part will be that they cannot give out the specifics. They couldn't share which medication you failed on.

There is an allowance in the Data Protection act if the data is shared for the protection of the person or others. I had a Data Protection case against my Sons school and discovered that they could share his information with certain parties if it met specific criteria.

und if personnel offices share infos to operate a kind of so called „BLACK LIST“?

That would definitely be against the Data Protection Act.
 

MOM67

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2019
Messages
31
I know of a person on the Railway who was random D&A tested. When asked if they'd taken anything in the last couple of weeks they said they hadn't but the test showed unusual amounts of paracetemol and ibuprofen. The person (now dismissed) later admitted to being addicted but if they'd declared what they'd taken , they wouldn't have failed the test!
 

Lemmy99uk

Member
Joined
5 May 2015
Messages
562
It’s not only medicine you need to be wary of.
Eating bread with a poppy seed crust the day before a test can show up as opiate use. If you forget to declare it the company have grounds for dismissal once they receive the results.
 

Aivilo

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2014
Messages
646
Location
Surrey
I only eat seeded bread and never went hot.

It's somewhat of a myth although has apparently happened.

Anyone that works on the railway knows about the "blacklist" legal or not it's there
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
It’s not only medicine you need to be wary of.
Eating bread with a poppy seed crust the day before a test can show up as opiate use. If you forget to declare it the company have grounds for dismissal once they receive the results.

No they do not, most seeds do not contain opiates, and I'd be very concerned if they are dismissing people based upon inaccurate presumptive tests.
 

Lemmy99uk

Member
Joined
5 May 2015
Messages
562
No they do not, most seeds do not contain opiates, and I'd be very concerned if they are dismissing people based upon inaccurate presumptive tests.

I’m afraid you are wrong, a quick google will reveal people who have been dismissed under these circumstances, (none on the railway that I can find).
I myself failed a railway drug test after eating a poppy seed cake the day before. Fortunately for me, the doctor called me and interrogated me about the circumstances before she sent her report to the company and was able to include the mitigation.
I spoke to my manager about it some months later and he was in no doubt that I would have been dismissed if the report had been sent before the doctor had spoken to me.
I suppose the argument is that if you had been taking opiate based drugs and they appeared in your test results, then the poppy seed excuse could easily be used to as a defence at a later date.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top