I've always thought that shunt signals do not have the authority to stop movements that were cleared using a main signal, usually a shunt signal that is 'in the way' of a main signal must be cleared or otherwise you won't be able to clear the main signal. I wasn't able to find any documents proving this though and my friend simply told me this, plus personal observations of course. I believe this is the case in a lot of times (see example 1) and I see this mostly at terminal stations. However what I often see as well, especially with model railways, is kind of the opposite. There seems to be no stop board or anything at the end of the platform, unless stop marker is supposed to do the job? (See example 2)
I'd appreciate if someone would clarify this.
Example 1 - Holyhead box diagram, a fixed stop signal can be seen at platform 3 next to a stop board
Example 2 - Bluebell Railway, Sheffield Park box diagram, discs 8 and 12
I'd appreciate if someone would clarify this.
Example 1 - Holyhead box diagram, a fixed stop signal can be seen at platform 3 next to a stop board
Example 2 - Bluebell Railway, Sheffield Park box diagram, discs 8 and 12