• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF class 197 Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

tfw756rider

On Moderation
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
1,998
Location
Wales (sometimes in England), thanks for replying!
Thanks both.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I know I like the 197s, despite their flaws (including the toilet door problems), but this is bad.

197036 has only been in service for about one month, and while riding on it today, I've seen its toilet door stick open... twice (so the guard had to reset it twice).

And one of the times it was stuck open, when the guard was busy, a young boy ended up having to go for a number 1 with his mother standing in the open doorway (!)

Now, obviously these toilet door problems are the fault of CAF, and thanks to contribution to this thread, I've heard that some progress has been made with fixes, but not finished (if I remember correctly).

Does anyone in here know if any further progress has been made? After what I saw today, this really is bad.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,977
Location
Telford
Thanks both.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I know I like the 197s, despite their flaws (including the toilet door problems), but this is bad.

197036 has only been in service for about one month, and while riding on it today, I've seen its toilet door stick open... twice (so the guard had to reset it twice).

And one of the times it was stuck open, when the guard was busy, a young boy ended up having to go for a number 1 with his mother standing in the open doorway (!)

Now, obviously these toilet door problems are the fault of CAF, and thanks to contribution to this thread, I've heard that some progress has been made with fixes, but not finished (if I remember correctly).

Does anyone in here know if any further progress has been made? After what I saw today, this really is bad.
Don't go toilet on any 197. They are grim even before public use them.
 

vicbury

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2012
Messages
1,052
Location
Lydney
People who work on the trains beforehand don't clean them very well.
I've noticed the cleanliness on the 197s leaves a lot to be desired, and others on here have commented too. Grubby window sills, tables, spray and splatter on walls, ceilings and luggage racks etc. Don't take this as a personal attack though - I'm sure you do your best in the time you are given.
 

Anonymous10

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2019
Messages
2,635
Location
wales
I've noticed the cleanliness on the 197s leaves a lot to be desired, and others on here have commented too. Grubby window sills, tables, spray and splatter on walls, ceilings and luggage racks etc. Don't take this as a personal attack though - I'm sure you do your best in the time you are given.
Im noticing it being a general issue with tfw. Been on 231s which looked very dirty inside which had came off canton and 197s as well as the more forgivable 150s. Also found 3 month old train tickets under a seat (seriously?)
 

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,977
Location
Telford
I've noticed the cleanliness on the 197s leaves a lot to be desired, and others on here have commented too. Grubby window sills, tables, spray and splatter on walls, ceilings and luggage racks etc. Don't take this as a personal attack though - I'm sure you do your best in the time you are given.
I only clean them when they have been on test runs. Not passenger service. Same when I external clean them as well.
 

WirralLine

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
527
Location
Wirral
I've noticed the cleanliness on the 197s leaves a lot to be desired, and others on here have commented too. Grubby window sills, tables, spray and splatter on walls, ceilings and luggage racks etc. Don't take this as a personal attack though - I'm sure you do your best in the time you are given.
Ive noticed some of the 197s introduced early on are looking quite shabby already. The main thing i noticed is as you say grubby window surrounds with ground in dirt - also the window pillars where people have been resting their heads. I think the main issue is you can wipe the white window surround/pillar panels as much as you like - theyre matt and textured rather than smooth and shiny/easy clean, a poor design for a train.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
I had a look at RTT and today it seems there are approximately 43 of the 197s in service, 26 x 2 car and 17 x 3 car.

Of the 2 cars - 1 x Bidston, 1 x Liverpool, 2 x Birmingham, 6 x Pembroke/Swanline, 2 x Ebbw Vale/Maesteg, 3 x Cardiff/Holyhead, 2 x Manchester to North Wales and 9 x Manchester to South/West Wales.

Of the 3 cars - 1 x covering for a MK4 diagram, 6 x Manchester to North Wales, 1 x Liverpool, 1 x covering the Crewe Local, 1 x Crewe/Chester, 1 x Ebbw/Maesteg, 3 x Cardiff to Holyhead and 3 x Manchester to South Wales.

There were a few ECS workings which may have been in service earlier and nothing on the Conwy Valley due to engineering work but 43 seems a little bit short.

Interesting that the Crewe-Shrewsbury Stopper is a 3 car 197 vice an AT set. And more 2+2 cars rather than the 2+3 booked for South Wales to Manchester. Seems North Wales is priority for the 3 cars.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,200
I had a look at RTT and today it seems there are approximately 43 of the 197s in service, 26 x 2 car and 17 x 3 car.

Of the 2 cars - 1 x Bidston, 1 x Liverpool, 2 x Birmingham, 6 x Pembroke/Swanline, 2 x Ebbw Vale/Maesteg, 3 x Cardiff/Holyhead, 2 x Manchester to North Wales and 9 x Manchester to South/West Wales.
Manchesters appear to be 4 car almost as regularly as 5 cars now. Several of the 3 car sets appear to now be out of use. They've been replaced by the recent influx of ERTMS sets but obviously leaves 2 car instead of 3.

Fresh out the box 197037 failed outside Cardiff too and had to be dragged into the station early this morning before getting a hand back to Chester.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Manchesters appear to be 4 car almost as regularly as 5 cars now. Several of the 3 car sets appear to now be out of use. They've been replaced by the recent influx of ERTMS sets but obviously leaves 2 car instead of 3.

Fresh out the box 197037 failed outside Cardiff too and had to be dragged into the station early this morning before getting a hand back to Chester.
Yes i noticed quite a few of the 3 cars were out of use. At least 4 cars on the Manchesters is better than a single unit. The only thing i find with the 2 car units is the carriage which has the disabled toilet and storage cupboard, there are significantly less seats in this carriage, its really noticeable how much less there is compared to the other carriage. So when its formed of a 5 car that extra carriage full of seats (aside from the small toilet) makes a huge difference. But overall 4 cars seem to cope okay most of the time.

I notice 197037 has been in service attached to another unit. Makes me wonder how many of them are kept in service with the help of another unit.
 

SeaKing

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2019
Messages
411
Location
Taunton
Manchesters appear to be 4 car almost as regularly as 5 cars now. Several of the 3 car sets appear to now be out of use. They've been replaced by the recent influx of ERTMS sets but obviously leaves 2 car instead of 3.

Fresh out the box 197037 failed outside Cardiff too and had to be dragged into the station early this morning before getting a hand back to Chester.
197037 back out on Bidston's today
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,820
Location
Croydon
I make it that ten of the ETCS 197s are currently in use. These are :-

197022,
197024,
197026 ?,
197027,
197031,
197033,
197034,
197035,
197036 &
197037

But 197026 seems to have not been out all week when I check on RTT. Has it gone out of use ?.
 
Last edited:

Caaardiff

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2019
Messages
1,390
A 3 car hit a cow the other day, and i think a few 2 cars got damaged after hitting trees. Not the fault of CAF or TFW, but they do seem to take a lot longer to get back into service than the 15x fleet. Some of them have been parked up for days at Chester and not moved. May be a parts issue?
Weren't there some 3 cars stored because of suspension crack issues? Those covered by the ETCS sets.
 

wythallpaul

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2024
Messages
125
Location
Bulkington
I make it that ten of the ETCS 197s are currently in use. These are :-

197022,
197024,
197026 ?,
197027,
197031,
197033,
197034,
197035,
197036 &
197037

But 197026 seems to have not been out all week when I check on RTT. Has it gone out of use ?.
197026 was on 1D11 last Saturday Morning 4th October 2025.

Clarification:- 1D11 0709 Birmingham International (BHI) to Rhyl (RHL).
Terminated at Chester (CTR) 56 Minutes late. This Journey was made during Adverse Weather. I have not noticed it on RTT since. It may have Received some damage during this Journey.

Edited to provide Clarification.
 
Last edited:

MP393

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2021
Messages
660
Location
North West
197026 was on 1D11 last Saturday Morning 4th October 2025.

Clarification:- 1D11 0709 Birmingham International (BHI) to Rhyl (RHL).
Terminated at Chester (CTR) 56 Minutes late. This Journey was made during Adverse Weather. I have not noticed it on RTT since. It may have Received some damage during this Journey.

Edited to provide Clarification.

197026 did hit a tree in the Ruabon area on 1D11 and sustained some damage to the front end, for which it’s been out of service for.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,820
Location
Croydon
197026 was on 1D11 last Saturday Morning 4th October 2025.

Clarification:- 1D11 0709 Birmingham International (BHI) to Rhyl (RHL).
Terminated at Chester (CTR) 56 Minutes late. This Journey was made during Adverse Weather. I have not noticed it on RTT since. It may have Received some damage during this Journey.

Edited to provide Clarification.
+
197026 did hit a tree in the Ruabon area on 1D11 and sustained some damage to the front end, for which it’s been out of service for.
Thankyou both for your replies, pesky trees then.

A bit more than lineside vegetation rash then !.
Lets hope the 197 front end is not a weaker/more-vulnerable area than on older units as seems to be the case with the Mk3 DVTs ?.
 

158822

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2025
Messages
81
Location
UK
I was on a 197 197034 yesterday and it kept making strange cracking noises. Has anyone else noticed this? I didn’t record the noise.
 

158822

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2025
Messages
81
Location
UK
From where I was sat at the front the sound was coming from the lower right side, either under the floor or close to it. It sounded like some hard plastic was cracking.
 

WirralLine

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
527
Location
Wirral
I was on 197111 earlier which had an engine isolated and no working heating in the engine-less coach. Also stunk of diesel and took an age to get going from stations.
 

tfw756rider

On Moderation
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
1,998
Location
Wales (sometimes in England), thanks for replying!
I was on 197111 earlier which had an engine isolated and no working heating in the engine-less coach. Also stunk of diesel and took an age to get going from stations.
It's really not good that this new fleet of trains is having more issues than it should. Surely Transport for Wales Rail and CAF are going to have to work together at some point to properly sort them out? They've got to last for multiple decades.
 

158822

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2025
Messages
81
Location
UK
If it’s cheaper to pay some fines and move on instead of fixing the trains then that is probably what will happen.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
I was on 197111 earlier which had an engine isolated and no working heating in the engine-less coach. Also stunk of diesel and took an age to get going from stations.
That's always an issue on 197s with an engine isolated - the holding brake isn't released until the computer detects there is enough power coming from the engines to prevent the unit rolling back, and that takes a while if there's an engine isolated. As far as I know this seems to be the norm on all new trains these days; drivers are no longer trusted to have full control of the brakes themselves.

On the plus side, a 3 car with an engine out still performs pretty well, and will keep to time far better than a 175 with an engine out would.
 

Top