• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF class 197 Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

robert thomas

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2019
Messages
347
Location
Neath
To add to the confusion over classes of travel, I received a marketing e-mail from TFW on Monday which contained the following





So there we go. They seem to be doing a good job of confusing the passengers, and First Class fares are not bookable on their Manchester trains...

I travelled on 197118 in the posh bit from Stockport to Manchester the other day. There was a ticket check and my TfGM bus pass was not questioned.
There is a wide range of first class fares available, including advance, for the Marches Line from booking offices and online
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Northerngirl

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
516
Location
Wirral
If they really think that the 197 & mk4 1st class are different enough to not be priced the same, then they need to have some idea when the mk4s will actually run, at the moment it's so overcomplicated trying to get a comfortable seat
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
197105 was removed from Maestegs at Cardiff Central around 4:30pm due to train fault. The (delayed) 16:17 service went forward with a single 153.

197111 was assigned to a driver who cannot drive 197s yet, but fortunately they were able to swap duties so that a driver who does could take it forward on the 1816 at Cardiff Central to Maesteg. The guard is absolutely lovely. Full marks to her for friendly, warm customer service. What an asset to TfW.
 
Last edited:

BenBracken

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2019
Messages
179
Location
Pembrokeshire
Took a spin on the HoWL yesterday. Are there any plans at all to run 197s on that line? Surely if TfW want shot of 15x units they will have to do something at some point in the future to modernise? I have somewhere seen a photo of a 175 in service on the HoWL, so will the 197s be cleared for use as well?
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,031
Took a spin on the HoWL yesterday. Are there any plans at all to run 197s on that line? Surely if TfW want shot of 15x units they will have to do something at some point in the future to modernise? I have somewhere seen a photo of a 175 in service on the HoWL, so will the 197s be cleared for use as well?

I believe the plan is to retain 153s for the time being for that route.
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,622
Location
Llanharan
197105 was removed from Maestegs at Cardiff Central around 4:30pm due to train fault. The (delayed) 16:17 service went forward with a single 153.

197111 was assigned to a driver who cannot drive 197s yet, but fortunately they were able to swap duties so that a driver who does could take it forward on the 1816 at Cardiff Central to Maesteg. The guard is absolutely lovely. Full marks to her for friendly, warm customer service. What an asset to TfW.
Hopefully 111 will be able to replace that single 153 later. Unless it does go back to Canton as currently planned, I'd allow it do go to Pengam and go back to Cardiff to replace a SINGLE 153. But we'll have to wait an see, as I don't think we want a single 153 doing the earliest Cheltenham start tomorrow.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Took a spin on the HoWL yesterday. Are there any plans at all to run 197s on that line? Surely if TfW want shot of 15x units they will have to do something at some point in the future to modernise? I have somewhere seen a photo of a 175 in service on the HoWL, so will the 197s be cleared for use as well?
The HOWL line is planned to be pairs of 153s long term. However I would imagine they will clear the line for 197s eventually like they did for the 175s but it wont be a huge priority. I would say clearing the Vale of Glamorgan, Pembroke Dock and Ebbw Vale is more urgent.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Nope, it wasn’t the superior performance, but probably the announcement saying “This train will now call at Newport, Hereford and Shrewsbury only.”
The 197s do keep to time very well. Yesterday i travelled from Port Talbot to Manchester on a 197 (0551 from Port Talbot) and particularly from Shrewsbury onwards I noticed every station was early. Looking at RTT it was 4 minutes early at Shrewsbury, 3 minutes at Wem, 6 minutes ar Crewe and 5 minutes at Wilmslow. Still the departure at 0635 from Cardiff has a lot of padding - Cardiff-Manchester can be done in 3 hours 20 minutes usually. I suppose with this being a MK4 service the timing has to be a bit more generous but it highlights just how fantastic the 197s are.
 
Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
The HOWL line is planned to be pairs of 153s long term. However I would imagine they will clear the line for 197s eventually like they did for the 175s but it wont be a huge priority. I would say clearing the Vale of Glamorgan, Pembroke Dock and Ebbw Vale is more urgent.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


The 197s do keep to time very well. Yesterday i travelled from Port Talbot to Manchester on a 197 (0551 from Port Talbot) and particularly from Shrewsbury onwards I noticed every station was early. Looking at RTT it was 4 minutes early at Shrewsbury, 3 minutes at Wem, 6 minutes ar Crewe and 5 minutes at Wilmslow. Still the departure at 0635 from Cardiff has a lot of padding - Cardiff-Manchester can be done in 3 hours 20 minutes usually. I suppose with this being a MK4 service the timing has to be a bit more generous but it highlights just how fantastic the 197s are.
I also suspect with timings like that, the driver may have had it in 'super' mode. Tends to happen semi regularly now.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
The HOWL line is planned to be pairs of 153s long term. However I would imagine they will clear the line for 197s eventually like they did for the 175s but it wont be a huge priority. I would say clearing the Vale of Glamorgan, Pembroke Dock and Ebbw Vale is more urgent.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


The 197s do keep to time very well. Yesterday i travelled from Port Talbot to Manchester on a 197 (0551 from Port Talbot) and particularly from Shrewsbury onwards I noticed every station was early. Looking at RTT it was 4 minutes early at Shrewsbury, 3 minutes at Wem, 6 minutes ar Crewe and 5 minutes at Wilmslow. Still the departure at 0635 from Cardiff has a lot of padding - Cardiff-Manchester can be done in 3 hours 20 minutes usually. I suppose with this being a MK4 service the timing has to be a bit more generous but it highlights just how fantastic the 197s are.

I also suspect with timings like that, the driver may have had it in 'super' mode. Tends to happen semi regularly now.
Even in Eco mode, a 197 will trounce 67 timings, especially between Ludlow and Crewe where the MU speeds really hold the 67s back. For normal MU timings, ECO mode will keep to time easily enough, and in superpower you can catch up delays.
 

Diedinium

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2021
Messages
185
Location
Shropshire
The 197s do keep to time very well. Yesterday i travelled from Port Talbot to Manchester on a 197 (0551 from Port Talbot) and particularly from Shrewsbury onwards I noticed every station was early. Looking at RTT it was 4 minutes early at Shrewsbury, 3 minutes at Wem, 6 minutes ar Crewe and 5 minutes at Wilmslow. Still the departure at 0635 from Cardiff has a lot of padding - Cardiff-Manchester can be done in 3 hours 20 minutes usually. I suppose with this being a MK4 service the timing has to be a bit more generous but it highlights just how fantastic the 197s are.
To get those times the driver probably had put the train into "Super" mode, which changes when the gears shift to help the train accelerate quicker (like ragging your car in second gear for longer...). A lot of drivers are enabling it at the moment as there's no current guidance/rules on when it should be used yet.

The only real consequence is it does tend to eat through the AdBlue a lot quicker. These early arrivals show how it's unnecessary to use it really, even in "Eco" or "Normal" mode it's more than enough to maintain the current timetables.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
To get those times the driver probably had put the train into "Super" mode, which changes when the gears shift to help the train accelerate quicker (like ragging your car in second gear for longer...). A lot of drivers are enabling it at the moment as there's no current guidance/rules on when it should be used yet.

The only real consequence is it does tend to eat through the AdBlue a lot quicker. These early arrivals show how it's unnecessary to use it really, even in "Eco" or "Normal" mode it's more than enough to maintain the current timetables.
That service is timed for a loco, and has a lot of padding on top. Looking at where most of the time was made up (North of Ludlow), I reckon those timings are perfectly achievable in Eco mode. Especially as it was a 3 car set, and like the 175s before them the 3 cars are noticeably quicker off the mark.
 
Last edited:

Lurcheroo

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2021
Messages
1,241
Location
Wales
then they need to have some idea when the mk4s will actually run, at the moment it's so overcomplicated trying to get a comfortable seat
There are 5 MK4 diagrams a day. It’s incredibly unlikely to see a MK4 on a service that isn’t on one of those diagrams as only Crewe and Cardiff drivers sign the class 67’s and Manchester - Cardiff. Holyhead also sign the 67’s for the 1 service a day to and from holyhead, but do not sign any of Manchester - Cardiff.

SD has said many a times on the MK4 thread that it has been planned that 1 of those diagrams are not to be a MK4 service whilst the 5 coach addition programme is underway.
Reliability does seemed to have improved in the last few months with many days seeing all 4 diagrams covered with MK4’s.

Of course if a set develops a fault then it has to be substituted and with such a limited MK4 fleet it’s Almost certainly going to have be a unit replacement unfortunately.
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,199
Even in Eco mode, a 197 will trounce 67 timings, especially between Ludlow and Crewe where the MU speeds really hold the 67s back. For normal MU timings, ECO mode will keep to time easily enough, and in superpower you can catch up delays.
In my experience, a 150 can beat the loco timings. Recently I saw a pair of them on 1W61 arrive at Shrewsbury six minutes before departure. Granted it's booked four minutes there but still impressive.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
In my experience, a 150 can beat the loco timings. Recently I saw a pair of them on 1W61 arrive at Shrewsbury six minutes before departure. Granted it's booked four minutes there but still impressive.
Between the dwell times and the poor acceleration at low speeds for the latter, a 150 will easily match 67 for most of the Cardiff - Manchester run. The only place the 150 will struggle is between Crewe and Wilmslow where the 67s 110mph ability will trump anything (but there's enough padding on there to keep to time even at 75mph), and on the big climb out of Abergavenny going north.
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,622
Location
Llanharan
Another day of 197 diagrams on Maesteg - Cheltenham today! All trains coming out of Canton to join are 197s. Minus the 153 going solo on the Cheltenham early start, it's good! With a 197 ending up at Gloucester tonight, hopefully we'll have full 197 diagrams tomorrow
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Another day of 197 diagrams on Maesteg - Cheltenham today! All trains coming out of Canton to join are 197s. Minus the 153 going solo on the Cheltenham early start, it's good! With a 197 ending up at Gloucester tonight, hopefully we'll have full 197 diagrams tomorrow
Good to see TFW are so confident about the 197s that so many can be allocated to Maesteg-Cheltenham. Availability must have improved massively and having 118 and 120 in service helps.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,336
Location
Swansea
There is a wide range of first class fares available, including advance, for the Marches Line from booking offices and online
No first class from Swansea to Manchester that I know of.

The 05:32 is booked for Mk4, but that is the diagram that is currently not Mk4 and is booked for standard class only at the moment. 2 Car 197 today.

But let's not let that get in the way of a correct criticism of TfW marketing.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Another day of 197 diagrams on Maesteg - Cheltenham today! All trains coming out of Canton to join are 197s. Minus the 153 going solo on the Cheltenham early start, it's good! With a 197 ending up at Gloucester tonight, hopefully we'll have full 197 diagrams tomorrow
Good to see TFW are so confident about the 197s that so many can be allocated to Maesteg-Cheltenham. Availability must have improved massively and having 118 and 120 in service helps.
Looks like two 150s are now on the route
 

robert thomas

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2019
Messages
347
Location
Neath
No first class from Swansea to Manchester that I know of.

The 05:32 is booked for Mk4, but that is the diagram that is currently not Mk4 and is booked for standard class only at the moment. 2 Car 197 today.

But let's not let that get in the way of a correct criticism of TfW marketing.
There is certainly a Neath-Manchester first class fare which I often use so there must be one from Swansea
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,336
Location
Swansea
There is certainly a Neath-Manchester first class fare which I often use so there must be one from Swansea
Not on TfW I presume.

The fact that there has always been a fare that works via Bristol Parkway is neither here nor there.

Unless you think it is kind of TfW to promote GWR in this way.

I suspect we are all talking about the fact that TfW are trying to upsell their own first class product, but that they do not actually offer that product on the routes in their advertising.
 

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
No first class from Swansea to Manchester that I know of.

The 05:32 is booked for Mk4, but that is the diagram that is currently not Mk4 and is booked for standard class only at the moment. 2 Car 197 today.

But let's not let that get in the way of a correct criticism of TfW marketing.
There's a few flexible and advance first class fares between Swansea and Manchester set by TfW. £147.10 Anytime Day Single 1st and £165.10 Off Peak Day Return 1st.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,336
Location
Swansea
There's a few flexible and advance first class fares between Swansea and Manchester set by TfW. £147.10 Anytime Day Single 1st and £165.10 Off Peak Day Return 1st.
I appreciate people want to defend TfW.

However, it remains true that TfW do not provide first class on any services that depart from Swansea today, or any other day at the moment.
 

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
I appreciate people want to defend TfW.

However, it remains true that TfW do not provide first class on any services that depart from Swansea today, or any other day at the moment.
I'm not trying to defend TfW, I hate the service they're providing around Birmingham at the moment, especially with how rude some of the guards can be.

People can get a refund if a service is timetabled to have first class and such accomodation is not provided.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,336
Location
Swansea
I'm not trying to defend TfW, I hate the service they're providing around Birmingham at the moment, especially with how rude some of the guards can be.

People can get a refund if a service is timetabled to have first class and such accomodation is not provided.
Which is why I am stressing that there is not even any timetabled TfW first class between Swansea and Manchester.

If I bought a first-class ticket I would be planning via Birmingham, but then I am more interested in the service than the Mk4s that may, or may not, be running that day. I would also not want the hassle of having to refund the difference because TfW had yet again sent a too-short standard class-only unit.
 

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
Which is why I am stressing that there is not even any timetabled TfW first class between Swansea and Manchester.

If I bought a first-class ticket I would be planning via Birmingham, but then I am more interested in the service than the Mk4s that may, or may not, be running that day. I would also not want the hassle of having to refund the difference because TfW had yet again sent a too-short standard class-only unit.
The 05:32 SWA-MAN and 16:30 MAN-SWA have it, though it's not great to only have 1tpd in either direction.
 

Top