Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Seems likely, looking at its allocation history there seems to be something wrong with it. It seems to have terminated at Hereford on 9th Nov, ran ecs Hereford to Shrewsbury on 11th Nov before carrying on to Chester on the 14th Nov and hasn't moved since.
There was a very similar path in earlier which got cancelled but was shown as allocated 197012 so presume its that one which has gone this afternoon. Currently showing as Crewe South Yard having come from Chester so seems a Likely candidate.
There was a very similar path in earlier which got cancelled but was shown as allocated 197012 so presume its that one which has gone this afternoon. Currently showing as Crewe South Yard having come from Chester so seems a Likely candidate.
Four TfW with ticket machines slung on their shoulder waiting on the platform for the 12:49 197/1B operated service to Manchester. I ask them if I have the right platform for Manchester and if they know which end the standard premium end will be. The one nearest to me, who was originally with her back to me, turned round and said “have you got a standard premium ticket?”
I said, “No, but you’re not selling them yet, right? I was more interested in looking-“
She cut me off and said “Then it doesn’t matter which end, does it.” Turned her back to me again and struck up a new conversation with her colleagues. Part of me wondered if she’d been trying to be funny, but it didn’t come across that way, her face was deadpan serious! The guard (who’d been on the platform with her) came through to check my ticket and did apologise profusely when I told him I wasn’t thrilled.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
-
Anyway. 197115’s Standard Premium area is lovely and could very well be simply “First Class” were it equipped with the necessary accessible toilets this end of the train, the lamps are absolutely perfect.
Much as I love leather furnishings the headrest pushes my head forward a bit much and I think it’s a shame they didn’t cover the whole seat in leather and then lose the headrest, which would certainly make it a similar style to the MK4 offering. The firm, generous wings of the seat will be amazing for when I need to take early morning trips, and what with there being seats both sides of the door there is plenty of space.
Not a jot of signage yet so I sincerely hope no one has been asked to move before.
Thanks for the write up and photos. if all goes to plan I will be on it later on this evening during its return working to Swansea! It will be my first journey of 2024.
Im sorry to hear about your experience at Cardiff Central before boarding the train although this doesnt surprise me.
Four TfW with ticket machines slung on their shoulder waiting on the platform for the 12:49 197/1B operated service to Manchester. I ask them if I have the right platform for Manchester and if they know which end the standard premium end will be. The one nearest to me, who was originally with her back to me, turned round and said “have you got a standard premium ticket?”
I said, “No, but you’re not selling them yet, right? I was more interested in looking-“
She cut me off and said “Then it doesn’t matter which end, does it.” Turned her back to me again and struck up a new conversation with her colleagues. Part of me wondered if she’d been trying to be funny, but it didn’t come across that way, her face was deadpan serious! The guard (who’d been on the platform with her) came through to check my ticket and did apologise profusely when I told him I wasn’t thrilled.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
-
Anyway. 197115’s Standard Premium area is lovely and could very well be simply “First Class” were it equipped with the necessary accessible toilets this end of the train, the lamps are absolutely perfect.
Much as I love leather furnishings the headrest pushes my head forward a bit much and I think it’s a shame they didn’t cover the whole seat in leather and then lose the headrest, which would certainly make it a similar style to the MK4 offering. The firm, generous wings of the seat will be amazing for when I need to take early morning trips, and what with there being seats both sides of the door there is plenty of space.
Not a jot of signage yet so I sincerely hope no one has been asked to move before.
I managed to get 197115 this evening between Port Talbot and Swansea. Love the standard plus area. I will definately make use of this on longer journeys if the upgrade cost is reasonable.
I managed to get 197115 this evening between Port Talbot and Swansea. Love the standard plus area. I will definately make use of this on longer journeys if the upgrade cost is reasonable.
Real-time train running information for 5Q33 1311 departure from Crewe South Yard to Newton Heath T.M.D. on 03/01/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.
I’ve been keeping half an eye on the first few weeks of Milford - Manchester services on RTT. Majority are 197s, but there have been a few 150s scheduled as well sadly. There was a 158 on yesterday, which is a better compromise. There have been a few cancellations due to flooding, although according to RTT those services were running but TfW said not! There was one service that was terminated at Haverfordwest and cancelled to Milford, due to ‘too many trains needing repairs’. Not sure how saving 45 mins off the return leg would really solve something like that?! Only time I’ve spotted a 197 in Fishguard had been on a Sunday, guessing there’s less demand for them then.
Real-time train running information for 5Q33 1311 departure from Crewe South Yard to Newton Heath T.M.D. on 03/01/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.
Real-time train running information for 5Q42 1215 departure from Newton Heath T.M.D. to Crewe South Yard on 05/01/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.
Watching the Crewe webcam and a three car197, possibly 109, is on a Swansea to Manchester service. Along with the MK4 sets out today, things may be improving on the Marches at last.
Watching the Crewe webcam and a three car197, possibly 109, is on a Swansea to Manchester service. Along with the MK4 sets out today, things may be improving on the Marches at last.
Quite a few 3 cars on the Marches now alongside the Mk4s and a few 2 car 197s. The only 15xs up to Manchester today are a couple of 158s, no 150s or 153s showing at all so improvements are certainly happening.
Watching the Crewe webcam and a three car197, possibly 109, is on a Swansea to Manchester service. Along with the MK4 sets out today, things may be improving on the Marches at last.
Watching the Crewe webcam and a three car197, possibly 109, is on a Swansea to Manchester service. Along with the MK4 sets out today, things may be improving on the Marches at last.
Over the next few weeks 3s should become the norm on South Wales-Manchesters.
The current mid-term plan is that 3 cars are concentrated on Manchester to South Wales and 2x2 car on North Wales- Manchester/South Wales. With the current restrictions that's seen to temporarily be the best use of capacity in Spring/Early summer but there's time to change yet!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Over the next few weeks 3s should become the norm on South Wales-Manchesters.
The current mid-term plan is that 3 cars are concentrated on Manchester to South Wales and 2x2 car on North Wales- Manchester/South Wales. With the current restrictions that's seen to temporarily be the best use of capacity in Spring/Early summer but there's time to change yet!
Does anyone have an idea on how regularly new 197s are being manufactured and signed off for use? Just wondering what sort of timescale we are looking at to get shot of 15x units covering 197 diagrams.
Does anyone have an idea on how regularly new 197s are being manufactured and signed off for use? Just wondering what sort of timescale we are looking at to get shot of 15x units covering 197 diagrams.
It's not really the manufacturing that dictates it but the Acceptance. Sets seem to be building up at Crewe as they're being delivered but very slow coming out the Acceptance process. A few have begun the process but then ended up back in the workshop for whatever reason slowing it down.
The plan I believe was that a 2 car took a week now it's mostly 3 cars around a week and a half for those but that's slowed right down recently.
15x covering are already getting rarer, today it's a little higher as there's 3 197 diagrams subbed for 15x covered by each of a 150, 158 and pair of 153s, along with a 150 on a Mk4 diagram but those days are all being well numbered really considering some days a few weeks ago there was a constant precession of 150s up the Marches.
I see my train the 3:06pm (from Bridgend - Llanelli) is a 2 car 150 again! Started 6 mins late from Manchester. Only twice I have been on a 197 - gutted but more gutted as it will undoubtedly be horrendously late again!
I see my train the 3:06pm (from Bridgend - Llanelli) is a 2 car 150 again! Started 6 mins late from Manchester. Only twice I have been on a 197 - gutted but more gutted as it will undoubtedly be horrendously late again!